Gluten Free??

Options
lee112780
lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
Seems really, really hard..but it may help me as I have autoimmune issues and a lot of weight to lose. Where do I start? Seems like I cant eat anything lol

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Check out the recipes at

www.marksdailyapple.com

They are all gluten and grain-free, so you don't have to worry about getting confused with substitute ingredients.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do you have celiac disease?

Do a google search for Kathy Smart.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of veggies and some fruit. I don't have to not eat gluten, I just feel a lot better when I don't and my blood sugar stays under control better.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Look up Paleo recipes.
  • teaganmayc
    Options
    Gluten free can be really great - until you start replacing the things that contain gluten with the same gluten free product, IMO. There are so many gluten free products that are then filled with other things that won't help with weight loss (sugar, carbs, etc). I highly recommend reading 'Wheat Belly'. It was an awesome read and really put wheat and it's gluten free replacements into perspective.

I do a similar diet to gluten free, but just don't eat anything processed. Meat, veggies, and small amounts of dairy and that works for me! :)
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    I don't have celiac or any gluten issues but my diet is almost gluten-free. I do have a friend who has gluten issues and they have incredible sections in grocery stores for easy swaps (ie: brown rice tortillas, gluten-free breads of all sorts, gluten-free cookies/crackers).
  • ikesgirl80
    Options
    Going gluten free at first is hard, because you are looking at all of the things you are missing! But once you start to feel better, it won't be nearly as hard.

A normal day for me is:

Breakfast: greek yogurt or asparagus wrapped with bacon, a fruit, and a grain free muffin I make ( I can share the recipes!)
    Lunch: Veggies and dip or a salad with dressing, lunch meat and cheese rolled up with mustard or chopped into the salad
    Dinner Ideas: Nachos, spaghetti with gf noodles (walmart, kroger, HEB), grilled cheese with turkey (Rudi's multigrain bread)
    Snacks/Desserts: Dark chocolate, Lara bars, Doritos, Cheetos, ice cream

Restaurants:
    Steak, baked/mashed potatoes, veggies and/or salad
    Enchiladas with rice (I don't like beans)
    Ceasar Salads with grilled Chicken

If you want more ideas, let me know!

Chris
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Gluten free can be really great - until you start replacing the things that contain gluten with the same gluten free product, IMO. There are so many gluten free products that are then filled with other things that won't help with weight loss (sugar, carbs, etc). I highly recommend reading 'Wheat Belly'. It was an awesome read and really put wheat and it's gluten free replacements into perspective.

I do a similar diet to gluten free, but just don't eat anything processed. Meat, veggies, and small amounts of dairy and that works for me! :)

yes! I was diagnosed with celiac disease 15 years ago and there were very few products available then. Now there are so many, but I agree processed food is still processed food and a lot of GF items are still high in sugar and low in nutrients.

Rather than replace gluten items with their GF counterparts, I think it presents a good opportunity to switch to whole foods. Instead of crackers and cheese, have carrots, cucumbers and cheese. Instead of cookies have some dried fruit and nuts. Instead of pepperoni pizza have a salad with cheese and tomatoes and meat. That kind of thing...

I like Paleo recipes because they are by nature GF. I especially like NomNom Paleo (she has a website and a cookbook).

For the occasional substitution there are great GF pasta items, made from corn or rice or quinoa. Some GF breads are OK and will get the job done.

For GF grain sides quinoa and brown rice are my first choices. For snacky things I like corn tortillas and chips (in moderation).

good luck! feel free to ask specific questions as I've been doing it for 15 years!
  • lee112780
    Options
    no but I have Hoshimotoes duisease and alopecia- both are autoimmune diseases , and I have read that there is a link. I want to try it and see if it makes me feel better.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My suggestion - eat foods that are already naturally gluten free, do not try to replace gluten containing items with their faux counterparts. Eat all the meat, veggies, fruits, oils, seeds, nuts, rice, corn, lentils, legumes and quinoa you want. You shouldn't ever have to go hungry. Just beware of all of the hidden sources of gluten if you're really trying to go completely gluten free. Whole Foods actually has a good list of hidden gluten. Subscribe to gluten free recipe blogs - cook, eat, be happy.
  • lee112780
    Options
    thanks all..I want to stay away from processed foods also...thanks for the ideas!
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have gluten sensitivities and have been almost completely gluten free for 5 years now. IMO, starting out, don't try and just replace everything you are used to with gluten with a gluten-free substitute. It won't do anything to help your weigh issues...and the grocery store GF stuff is wicked expensive! Instead, look for things that are naturally gluten free. There are a million things you can find that are "safe" foods. Not saying it won't be challenging getting started, but you will find that once you start feeling better, it's worth the extra effort.

A few grocery store finds that got me started - Van's GF waffles with a few slices of turkey and cheese for breakfast (too the place of McMuffins)
    Rice cakes with peanut butter - never thought THAT would be so filling!
    Fruit and Veggies - endless possibilities!
    KIND bars - yum!

It's a heck if a lot easier if you like to cook...and especially if you like to bake! Checkout the blog, Gluten Free on a Shoestring. Fantastic resource for the gluten free home cook/baker.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Sister gave me a box of gluten free granola bars. They tasted alright, not as good as the regular ones i usually get and they actually had a few more calories.

They gave me the craps.

I am gluten-free intolerant I guess....
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Clean proteins - chicken, turkey, beef, pork, fish, shellfish are all gluten free without sauces - watch the spice blends. Individual spices like oregano, basil, salt, pepper, lemon, lime, rosemary, thyme, etc. are all OK.

All veggies and fruits without any sauces are. Olive oil, walnut oil, butter, avocado or peanut butter.

Nuts, seeds

Potatoes, rice, quinoa if you like carbs.

You have to read labels carefully.

You also have to watch gluten, especially wheat, in things like shampoo, conditioner, soap, cosmetics, medications.

Amy's gluten free mac & cheese is good. I also like Glutino's gluten free pretzels, crackers and frozen pizza on occasion.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is finding all the hidden sources of gluten - gravy, canned soups, rice Krispy cereal, soy/teriyaki sauce, salad dressings etc. and finding replacements for them, or figure out how to make them yourself.

I try to stay away from GF replacements, (but with 3 kids also GF we do buy some). We make lettuce wraps, and use lettuce for hamburgers etc. in place of buns, (good at restaurants and fast food places too, as long as they don't use shredded lettuce) If you like to cook, that helps too, it's so much easier to just make things yourself then to try and find GF prepared versions.

There are so many naturally gf foods though. Fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, dairy (watch out for for shredded cheese though) rice, quinoa, potatoes etc.
  • gypsywoman66
    gypsywoman66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about making G-Free bread from scratch? I just a GF cookbook for breadmakers. Should I use less sugar? Making bread in a Maker is new to me. I'm OLD school
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    There is a Gluten Free group forum you can join if you wish - we post recipes, chat with each other, post latest studies from the Gastroenterology Journals, etc. Just called "Gluten Free." Do a forum search & join up :flowerforyou: