Broken military guy, trying to get back in shape.

Options
cobysev
cobysev Posts: 24 Member
Hi! I'm Coby, 30 years old, and an IT guy in the US Air Force. I broke my ankle in a motorcycle accident and found myself gaining weight from sitting idle all the time.

After controlling my food intake, I've lost 13 lbs in the past month and hope to lose at least 10-15 lbs more before I'm at my goal. I started using MyFitnessPal to track my progress. Hopefully in the next couple months, I'll be healed enough to start exercising again and gain back some muscle mass.

I just noticed this community section, so I thought I'd just pop in and say hi to everyone. Hello!

Replies

• DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums! Thank you for your service and I wish you a quick recovery!
  • carbycran22
    carbycran22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! Here's to working hard and kicking butt!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the nuthouse, my friend.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Coby, 30 years old, and an IT guy in the US Air Force. I broke my ankle in a motorcycle accident and found myself gaining weight from sitting idle all the time.

After controlling my food intake, I've lost 13 lbs in the past month and hope to lose at least 10-15 lbs more before I'm at my goal. I started using MyFitnessPal to track my progress. Hopefully in the next couple months, I'll be healed enough to start exercising again and gain back some muscle mass.

I just noticed this community section, so I thought I'd just pop in and say hi to everyone. Hello!

Welcome brother in arms. you are not alone
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Coby,

If you would like I could help you create a setting work out routine, or direct you to a few good chair yoga videos, and offer mods that would not need you to use your foot to brace or balance. It might help burn a few calories.

Good luck.
  • cobysev
    Options
    That would be awesome. I'm currently attempting to do push-ups and sit-ups with my broken foot hovering in the air. It's a lot more work than I imagined. Besides that, I'm burning calories just hobbling around on my crutches. :laugh:
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • swtpmomof3
    swtpmomof3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome...I'm an old Navy girl married to a retired Air Force guy, so I know how important it is to be at your best. Thanks for your service and looking forward to you meeting your goals. Keep that "can do" attitude!!
  • DeeBerning
    DeeBerning Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.... you'll love the support and motivation you'll find here. It's amazing. Keep strong and you'll be fine soon!

And, thanks for your service to the country. I grew up in a military town, am from a military family, and respect ANYONE that is in the service.

Feel free to send me an add request if you want -- the more friends on this journey the better! :glasses:
  • buttsakauf
    buttsakauf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome brother! I went through a rough motorcycle accident in 2010 and still struggle with some of the residual effects. My reduced appetite after being on a liquid diet (in the hospital) for a week helped me initially. After that I kept my weight at bay with simple foods. Lots of time to cook during convaelescent leave. Make MFP habit and it will work for you. I just did my first blog post today. Take a look to see how I have dropped 40lbs since I "got serious".
  • cobysev
    Options
    Thankfully, my injury wasn't as serious as that. Both leg bones right above my ankle are broken (tibia and fibula) and I split my knee open on the asphalt, through my jeans. But protective gear kept the rest of me from being a stain on the road. I plan to get stiffer boots and some long pants with knee/hip armor before I hop back on my bike.

I've been broke and on crutches for almost 2 months now, but the doc says I should be healed in another month or so. Then I need surgery to get the plate in my leg removed, then attend physical therapy to get back to full speed on both legs.
  • TheBadToe
    TheBadToe Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am an ex Army vet, now police officer. I constantly deal with injury on the job because I like getting into stuff. Never fully stop working out, If I bust my arm up I just run more... and so on. The struggle is real sir.
  • toxicpanda1
    Options
    Hi Coby,
    You are definitely not alone on here when it comes to military. I just had surgery about 5 weeks ago and am just now getting back into my daily workouts. Just keep up the motivation, and don't push too hard , remember you have to heal :-) if you need a motivational friend on here feel free to send me a request. Keep up the good work, get better soon, and keep your eye on your goal!
  • kpcallahan
    kpcallahan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck sir! For what it's worth, I've never had a leg injury but I have broken my wrist before. It's a pain not being able to do anything and kinda watching your body go. Maybe skip the next few leg days and just do what you can.
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Coby, There's a book called Tai Chi In a Chair. Simple exercises you can do while seated.