Hi, getting serious about weight loss

Options
luffins
luffins Posts: 12 Member
I've been using MFP for a while now and just recently I've been really able to crack down on my weight loss.
So far I've lost 55 lbs and I have 45 lbs left to work off.
I go to the gym at least 5 times a week and alternate arm and leg workouts. If it's not raining I try to bike to school and walk places instead of drive.
I would like to add some more friends to MFP and I would like to hear about your stories.

Also if anybody knows I have a question:
Should I continue to ab workouts while I'm still overweight or should I wait until more belly fat goes? When I poke my stomach it feels really hard but it's still big so I'm not sure. Should stop and let those muscles go for now or keep working them out?

Anyways, hi all!

Replies

• tedious07
    tedious07 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, am new here but have the same question about ab workouts. Is walking and core strengthening enough?
    Congrats on your weight loss. Very exciting stuff! I can't wait to be where you are in the fight :)
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    luffins: Continue to work your muscles. You don't have to increase the intensity if you are afraid of bulking up too much - but keep them worked. You don't want them to go soft and have to start that process all over after you lose the weight.

tedious07: Abs are usually the upper abs, lower abs, and obliques (Side Abs). The core, which is more important, includes everything in the “mid-section” - (even around the backside). The core acts as a stabilizer for strength and balance.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that ab workouts won't give you "abs". Abs show when the body's fat percentage drops low enough, and you do that by continuing to eat at a calorie deficit and by lifting heavy weights. If you want to strengthen your core, I'd recommend compound lifts rather than crunches, (which is the singularly most useless exercise ever invented IMO) things like dead lifts, squats, planks, pushups (modified or military) back hyperextensions and even lunges.
  • Julyqueen0715
    Julyqueen0715 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS TO YOU. I WAS ON HERE A WHILE AGO AND I RECENTLY GOT SERIOUS AGAIN ABOUT 13 DAYS AGO AND IVE LOST 5 POUNDS. SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that ab workouts won't give you "abs". Abs show when the body's fat percentage drops low enough, and you do that by continuing to eat at a calorie deficit and by lifting heavy weights. If you want to strengthen your core, I'd recommend compound lifts rather than crunches, (which is the singularly most useless exercise ever invented IMO) things like dead lifts, squats, planks, pushups (modified or military) back hyperextensions and even lunges.

^This! I love squats, planks and push ups in particular.
  • luffins
    luffins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your input. I'll working out my core/muscles :)
  • Tonya_Michelle1984
    Tonya_Michelle1984 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Daily logger and open diary :)
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah, crunches are pretty useless. But strengthening your core is never bad! Core strength helps sooo many things- it makes your back less likely to blow out, it makes you better at lifting, running, swimming, it helps your balance. If you've got big boobs (I do, and boy can they be a pain when working out) more core strength will help them not hurt your lower back anymore.

Like others have said, liftng, planks, pushups, etc. are way better core/ab workouts.

And remember, just because you can't see your actual abdominal muscles doesn't mean they aren't there and getting stronger every day. As that fat melts away, you'll be able to see all the hard work you've put in. :)

Also, congratulations on your weightloss! you've come an impressively long way so far. I have about the same amount to lose as you do, except I'm about 30lbs behind you. Also, I added you. :) hope that's ok.