Huge discrepancy!

Options
So I have a pack of two Sainsbury's Taste The Difference wild salmon fillets. The contents weigh 230g, so 115g per fillet.

I happily searched for skinless boneless salmon fillets and selected two from MFP database. The first coming in at 204 calories for 115g, the second at 248 per 115g. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to go and check my pack of fillets.

But according to the packet, each of my fillets are just 173 calories!

So, three very different results and thee identical weights. Question is, would you pick the calories on the packet or would you pick or one of the others?

Replies

• Emedina1987
    Options
    I would follow what the package says.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What's Sainsbury ?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I have a pack of two Sainsbury's Taste The Difference wild salmon fillets. The contents weigh 230g, so 115g per fillet.

I happily searched for skinless boneless salmon fillets and selected two from MFP database. The first coming in at 204 calories for 115g, the second at 248 per 115g. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to go and check my pack of fillets.

But according to the packet, each of my fillets are just 173 calories!

So, three very different results and thee identical weights. Question is, would you pick the calories on the packet or would you pick or one of the others?

The package is likely better. Someone may have added the fillets to the MFP database as a recipe of sorts. What sort of fat grams are you looking at? Fish without sauces should be pretty low fat and low carb.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • frodoschmodo
    frodoschmodo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How many confirmations were on each of the MFP entries? (choose the one with the most, but if they both have less than 4 or 5, use the packet's calories)

When you searched MFP, did you include the name of the brand? (I'm assuming no, but of yes, choose the 204 calorie one)

All other things being equal, I'd choose the 204 calorie one because it's in the middle, and at least to me it's better to overestimate than underestimate.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Use the package information...but don't trust that that is actually how much the filets weight. So, don't go by a serving size of "1 filet". There should also be a grams or oz number next to the serving size info. Then, weigh the filet and do the math to account for the higher or lower weight than the package says 1 filet is. I'm not sure I'm explaining that clearly!

Basically, it's unusual for them to really get the exact weight in the package. You may find that the total in the package is really 215g, or 250g...not 230.

Does that make sense?
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I would follow what the package says.

I'd go from the packaging too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_servings/122646757# "Sainsburys - Taste the Difference Wild Salmon Fillets" are in the database and look correct per fillet - 173 cals.

I generally scan barcodes and get a pretty good hit rate and accuracy.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-wild-salmon-fillets--taste-the-difference-230g
  • luffins
    luffins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others: follow the package :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Use the package information...but don't trust that that is actually how much the filets weight. So, don't go by a serving size of "1 filet". There should also be a grams or oz number next to the serving size info. Then, weigh the filet and do the math to account for the higher or lower weight than the package says 1 filet is. I'm not sure I'm explaining that clearly!

Basically, it's unusual for them to really get the exact weight in the package. You may find that the total in the package is really 215g, or 250g...not 230.

Does that make sense?

+1

So, the package probably says Serving Size = 1 Fillet (115g), Servings per Package = 2, Calories per Serving = 173.

Go with the package, but weigh the fillet. It definitely might weigh 105g or 125g. So, if it weighed 105g, log 0.913 fillets (of the exact brand, as a previous poster noted is in the database) or 158 calories. If it weighed 125g, log 1.087 fillets or 188 calories. Or, it might be dead on, in which case you're fine.
  • storyborey
    storyborey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well hello Terry's Chocolate Orange segment!