Need quick healthy lunch ideas!

Options
Blondie074
Blondie074 Posts: 4 Member
I run home for lunch most days and don't have too much time to spend making it. I usually end up doing a turkey sandwich, which is getting boring. What are your quick lunch ideas? Help!

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    heat up some refried beans in a bowl then throw in some lettuce, a little bit of salsa, some fat free sour cream, crush a few tortilla chips over top, and maybe add a sprinkle of cheese over the top. the most calories it's ever come out to when i've made it is 250! i usually use these amounts:

2 cups of lettuce
    1/2 cup fat free refried beans
    1 tbs. fat free sour cream
    2 tbs. salsa
    sprinkle of any fat free cheese

mix it all together and enjoy! it really fills you up more than you would think!
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    I like to make a Hummus and Tomato sandwich. Super fast to make and yummy!

Another fave is - Tuna and avocado. ( I don't use mayo on the tuna just a tiny bit of EVOO, pepper and Lemon Juice for flavor.). I top the tuna with avocado...love it.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Check out http://www.hungry-girl.com/ She has a ton of yummy, low calorie meals! Most of her recipes are super easy and the lunch ideas can be thrown together.

I also always try to pack a portion of my dinner from the night before for lunch the following day. This can get boring, too, but it's easy to put in a container and throw in the fridge. I make sure everything is portioned appropriately so all I have to do is heat it up.

One of my favorite, easy lunches is fresh fruit (usually strawberries, bananas, blueberries) drizzled with light vanilla yogurt and some slivered almonds.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like to make a Hummus and Tomato sandwich. Super fast to make and yummy!

Another fave is - Tuna and avocado. ( I don't use mayo on the tuna just a tiny bit of EVOO, pepper and Lemon Juice for flavor.). I top the tuna with avocado...love it.

I love a Tom and Hummus sandwich, too! ( I call it a Tommus Sammy)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    heat up some refried beans in a bowl then throw in some lettuce, a little bit of salsa, some fat free sour cream, crush a few tortilla chips over top, and maybe add a sprinkle of cheese over the top. the most calories it's ever come out to when i've made it is 250! i usually use these amounts:

2 cups of lettuce
    1/2 cup fat free refried beans
    1 tbs. fat free sour cream
    2 tbs. salsa
    sprinkle of any fat free cheese

mix it all together and enjoy! it really fills you up more than you would think!
    YuM..taco in a bowl:tongue:
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I made this great recipe this weekend from EatingWell.com. It is a delicious tuna salad. Everything I needed, I had on hand. The recipe serves 4. So I have leftovers for today and tomorrow's lunch.

Add with some lettuce or pita! :bigsmile:

Ad the recipe is on the MFP site too, so when you log it in - poof - it is there!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tuscan_style_tuna_salad.html
  • Gizmo52
    Gizmo52 Posts: 43
    Options
    I know this is a simpe receipe but not cheap.

I get the containers of prepared brown rice, chuck chicken in water (canned) and throw that into a skillet and add red, green and yellow peppers, with onions and garlic. That's my faved.

Or I head the prepared brown rice and add taco seasoning and eat that as it is but it doesn't have much staying power.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I run home for lunch most days and don't have too much time to spend making it. I usually end up doing a turkey sandwich, which is getting boring. What are your quick lunch ideas? Help!

My favorite is my pasta salad. I add whole grain pasta, frozen peas, red onion, chick peas, celery, tomato, cucumber, carrots, broccoli- and every other vegetable in the house. I toss it all together, add a store bought light italian/ or greek dressing (so that I can control the cal) and it keeps in the fridge for 4 days. It's a great way to fill up on good foods and the whole grain pasta keeps you full for hours. Also, it tastes great cold so no heat up time.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    For a change, how about switching over to Pita pockets and stuffing them with yummy veggies, tuna, or chicken, avocado, black beans...just a nice balance of veggies, and healthy fats/protein.

Amazing how even switching over to Pita pockets or Flat-Out bread can make a world of different. Or tortillas, simply make a roll up with your favorite sandwich filler, maybe laughing cow cheese light in your fav flavor, or even try your turkey out in that and it'll be completely different tasting. Or tuna, or leftover baked chicken cut up, toss in some veggies or again with the avocado and you've got a brand new lunch going on!

Pack up some baby carrots, slice up an apple and what a great lunch!:tongue:
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Crock Pot
    Chicken breasts
    Jar of Salsa

MAN this feeds me all the time!!!!!! LOVE IT
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

My favorite is my pasta salad. I add whole grain pasta, frozen peas, red onion, chick peas, celery, tomato, cucumber, carrots, broccoli- and every other vegetable in the house. I toss it all together, add a store bought light italian/ or greek dressing (so that I can control the cal) and it keeps in the fridge for 4 days. It's a great way to fill up on good foods and the whole grain pasta keeps you full for hours. Also, it tastes great cold so no heat up time.
    OK, I'm sold...haven't made this in awhile, I'm due for a change up in lunches myself....hey thanks for sharing this with the OP as it's something that'll work for me as well.

That's what's so awesome about MFP... folks share freely:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Cook meat on Sunday... chicken (dice it up) or extra lean ground beef. Freeze what you won't use the first 3 days for an instant meal later. The chicken... chicken quesadea, chicken salad, chicken taco... you get the idea. Ground beef is done the same way... be creative and good luck!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    This week I baked a pork loin and roasted massive trays of veggies. I divided them into portions and have been bringing them in all week. Changing the seasoning on the pork or switching up the veggies I'm roasting (sometimes it's as simple as adding one new veggie or changing the kind of mushroom I use) keeps it from getting boring.

Charmagne
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a pound of cooked Laura's Lean Ground Beef, a can of black beans, brown rice and tomatoes together. I divide it up into equal portions and refrigerate.
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This recipe is really yummy...it takes a little prep in the morning but is totally worth it.

In the morning throw a portobello mushroom cap in a ziplock bag with .5 tbsp of evoo and 1.5 tbsp. of red wine vinegar and a couple shakes of italian seasoning for marinading.

Then at lunch time take out your forman grill or heat in a pan (the forman is my favorite way to go)...crisp a hard roll (has to be hard to bear the juices from the mushroom) on the heat, and cook the mushroom.
    Mix light miracle whip a little lemon juice and some rosemary and spread on the roll.
    Wilt some baby spinach with lemon juice and garlic.
    Then throw some mozzerella cheese on the mushroom and put together the most delicious sandwich!
    MMMmmmmMMMmmm...
  • sincereme
    Options
    This sounds super yummy. Gotta try it!

I like to mix a pound of cooked Laura's Lean Ground Beef, a can of black beans, brown rice and tomatoes together. I divide it up into equal portions and refrigerate.
  • sincereme
    Options
    Im going to def try this!!
    I know this is a simpe receipe but not cheap.

I get the containers of prepared brown rice, chuck chicken in water (canned) and throw that into a skillet and add red, green and yellow peppers, with onions and garlic. That's my faved.

Or I head the prepared brown rice and add taco seasoning and eat that as it is but it doesn't have much staying power.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You can make ham and beans in the croc pot before you leave for work in the am and then its ready by the time you get home for lunch. If you like ham and beans. I do buy lean cuisines I do have them once or twice a week depending on my schedule. I also by they have healthy ones low sodium soup and I do a serving of that. I make egg salad sandwich. I will do a stir fry for my lunch I measure everything out so I just make it for one lunch. baked potato with chicken.
  • jaydin85
    Options
    sometimes I add a 1/2 a cup of dried apricots to whatever I am eating... they are low in calorie and yummy cause they are slightly plum and lightly juicy!
  • Blondie074
    Blondie074 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow... tons of GREAT ideas! Thanks so much! I'm gonna have to come back to refer to this link to get all the yummy recipes! Thanks everyone! Keep em' coming!!! :flowerforyou: