Sub for breadcrumbs in Meatloaf?

Options
soupandcookies
soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
I am gluten allergic, but love meatloaf, and have been on a "meatloaf muffin" for lunch kick. Most meatloaf recipes call for breadcrumbs, and I've been using the gluten free kind, but they are very expensive, and not that great. Does anyone have any other suggestions for substitutes? If you have a suggestion, do you know if it's a 1:1 substitution? I have heard you can use almond meal, but I'm not sure if I should be using the same amount (1/2 or a cup of almond meal is pretty fattening....).

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I use oats in my meatloaf and meatballs and while I don't exactly measure I would say yes it should be about the same amount you're currently using for breadcrumbs. The oats will sit heavier though and they absorb more moisture so if you're using a low fat content in your meat you will want to add a little more liquid.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    try quaker quick oats and also add some some chopped up veggies, squash, peppers etc.....taste good ....I also add a jar of Salsa to keep it moist especially if it is a turkey meatloaf
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    OOOO, how about almond flour!!!
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Quick oats. Learned that from Paula Deen believe it or not. She has a World's Best Meatloaf recipe that calls for oats!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it in meatloaf, but when I make meatballs I sometimes use either oatmeal or rice in place of the breadcrumbs. It's a great use for leftover rice, which can otherwise be a bit dry and unappealing.

I also think that even regular breadcrumbs are rip-off expensive, considering what they are! I keep a cardboard box in the back of my fridge and toss in stale bread or random bread scraps, and when the box fills up, I use my food processor to grind it into crumbs.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Maybe try crunching up some Rice Krispies or Rice or Corn Chex or Corn Flakes. Or perhaps some cooked parboiled rice.

ETA: As far as a substitute ratio, I kind of don't know. I just usually add breadcrumbs until it gets to the texture I like, so I'm not even sure how much I use. I would think a little cooked rice would go a long way...maybe a half cup for a pound?
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Try polenta
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal (Old Fashioned). I prefer it to breadcrumbs, gives more texture.

I do:
    2lbs beef
    1.5 cups Oats
    1 can black beans (not drained)
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
    Then whatever spices I feel like, onions, garlic, etc, sometimes I throw in a whole package of onion soup mix.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I use almond flour as a bread crumb substitute in meatloaf and meat balls.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    fried red onions. You can get them at the asian/ethnic isle.

I've used cooked white rice as filler too, when hosting meals for gluten sensitive friends. Coarse corn meal works, too. And depending on the texture (more for baked stuff, not meatloaf) even popcorn.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I also use oats. I think it tastes better that way! Try the South Dakota meatloaf recipe from Taste of Home.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'm not GF, but i used to cook for someone who is. i use stuffing mix in meatloaf. (in mine at home, it's pepperage farm herb blend) the GF stuffing was cheaper than the breadcrumbs. also, some major brands have cornbread stuffing that's GF w/o them trying, so it's the price of regular, not the GF price.
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned Rice Chex, I'll second that. My friend who's GF uses it and it reminds me of panko, which I love.
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use parmesan cheese, the grated kind. I don't like breadcrumbs/oats in my meat loaf.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i've used quinoa in those meatloaf muffins - works out well!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    oats or Panko!!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have used smashed up chex cereal and it came out really good.
  • erobinson2014
    erobinson2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use rice crispy crumbs.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated cauliflower crumbs
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Rice Krispies or Chex Rice cereal - both are gluten-free in the regular grocery aisle now. My dad has celiac disease, and these are what my mom uses for bread crumb substitutes in everything.

I know a lot of people are suggesting oats, but unless you buy the type that are certified gluten-free (like Bob's Red Mill), you'll be getting gluten from crop contamination.