Does it make sense (for me) to do strength exercises?

Options
Hi fellow MFP members,

I could use some advice on what exercises to do. I currently have 2 priorities:
- weight loss (~20 kg to go, ~15kg gone so far)
- improving my running (increase both speed & distance)

I currently do:
- running 3 * times a week
- spinning 1* a week
- dance workout 1* a week
I recently added strength training at the gym, which I do about 2* a week. (I make sure I have at least one rest day every week by working out twice on some days… )

I am in particular wondering about the gym/strength training. Does this make any sense when eating about 500 calories below maintenance every day? Can I gain muscle mass or improve strength while losing weight? Given my priorities, should I do something else at the gym instead of strength training? Or is it good 'for everybody' to do some strength training regularly? I certainly enjoy it, but I want to make sure I spend my time wisely.

Thanks for your advice… I appreciate it.
Cheers,
Hanna

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes it makes sense for you. You will gain strength even though you may not physically build new muscle. The answer to whether or not to strength train us almost always yes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it makes sense.

I have lifted 10/12 months I have been in a deficit. It does not lead to muscle gain but it can lead to strength gains while losing weight. It also helps (with adequate protien) to help maintain the muscle you have.

It has helped me in other areas as well such as my biking etc.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to lose a serious amount of weight so I am eating at a calorie deficit, but I lift heavy weights 2-3 times a week and cardio 2-3 times a week.

It's inefficient to grow muscle while eating at a calorie deficit, but remember Preserving muscle and improving strength is the goal, and it feels great too.
  • HannaKathrin
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice - I will definitely stick with the strength training!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! It will help with not losing muscle and help with your running.
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    YES! Since I've been lifting/strength training I have had so much improvement in my running. Never thought it would be the difference in my runs, but it sure seems to be.
  • HannaKathrin
    Options
    Thanks! Great to know that it might even help to improve my running... that's very motivating :)