Working out but hardly any appetite

Options
Kirstie155
Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
Hi MFPers!
Been on this weight loss journey for about a month, started out hungry a lot. I used the calculators and figured out that my TDEE is 2254, and to lose weight I should be eating about 1800 calories without eating back my exercise.

Have been doing Jillian Michaels RI30 5x/week and walking/jogging 1.5+ miles everyday. Yesterday I went to a CrossFit class after my walk/jog and drank a ton of water..but wasn't hungry after. Before my dinner of 3 eggs for fat and protein my calories were at 1600. I only ate the eggs because the calories were low.
My diary is open, feel free to have a look. I have been eating around 1600-2000 calories a day. I don't log my workouts here, I have a fitbit which syncs.

Do you eat more because you worked out even if you aren't really hungry?
My lunch today was Panera (free from work) and 2 bags of chips (cause yum). But I only ate them because they were here and free and I should? No hunger!

My goal is to build muscle and be strong while burning fat.
I want to feed my body, not starve it.

So my question is: should I only eat when hungry?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay so TDEE-20% you should be eating all your calories...appetite/hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs...

That being said being under a couple hundred in one day is not going to derail you or make you weak etc.

I do TDEE as well so I eat the same calories everyday regardless of what I do...even if it's a lot of hard work that is not figured into my TDEE such as throwing wood in.

I get my calories in and have no issues as I eat calorie dense foods like bacon and avocadoes and chese and chocolate...

As well..if you are in a deficit you won't be building any muslce...sorry...you have to be in a surplus to do that...but what you are doing is retaining muscle which is better cause that is easier to do than make new muscle.

So to your question...I feel that you should hit your calorie goals or come within a reasonable amount everyday...for me a reasonable amount is 100...max 200 as long as it's not a common thing...hunger is not always an indicator of what the body needs esp if you are working out a lot.

I often look at my weekly targets if I find me under/over my dailies and ensure I come within goal every week ...if not everyday...
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is I'm jealous, I usually want to devour anything and everything in sight (edible or not) shortly after a workout.

Curios to see what everyone has to say.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    1. I'm jealous, I usually want to eat anything I can get my hands on shortly after a workout.

2. I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. If you are trying to lose weight, then eating when hungry seems logical to me because there is a good chance you will always be under your calorie limit.

Came here to say this.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. I'm jealous, I usually want to eat anything I can get my hands on shortly after a workout.

2. I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. If you are trying to lose weight, then eating when hungry seems logical to me because there is a good chance you will always be under your calorie limit.

Came here to say this.

I win.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    I was the same way when I started and it feels really weird to be complaining that I am not eating enough?!
    I sweat A TON when I work out and get really thirsty and drink a ton of water, so then my belly sloshes around...no room for foods?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2300 calories per day with several hundred to spare. I eat All. Day. Long. If you are satisfied and meeting your protein and fat goals, 1600+ is nowhere near starving yourself. But also, enjoy treats here and there and put peanut butter on everything ????
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Okay so TDEE-20% you should be eating all your calories...appetite/hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs...

That being said being under a couple hundred in one day is not going to derail you or make you weak etc.

I do TDEE as well so I eat the same calories everyday regardless of what I do...even if it's a lot of hard work that is not figured into my TDEE such as throwing wood in.

I get my calories in and have no issues as I eat calorie dense foods like bacon and avocadoes and chese and chocolate...

As well..if you are in a deficit you won't be building any muslce...sorry...you have to be in a surplus to do that...but what you are doing is retaining muscle which is better cause that is easier to do than make new muscle.

So to your question...I feel that you should hit your calorie goals or come within a reasonable amount everyday...for me a reasonable amount is 100...max 200 as long as it's not a common thing...hunger is not always an indicator of what the body needs esp if you are working out a lot.

I often look at my weekly targets if I find me under/over my dailies and ensure I come within goal every week ...if not everyday...

When I calculated my TDEE I figured that I was doing workouts 3x a week but I have been doing 5x a week consistently for a month now and think I may even need to recalculate. I am losing inches and pounds on the scale slowly so am doing fine there. I want to make sure I am feeding my workouts though and not screwing myself over for later when I stop doing working out all the time.
    I thought I would want to EAT ALL THE THINGS!! after every workout.

Slurp down some extra eggs (or chocolate) and meet my calorie goals sound good to anyone else?
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    I eat about 2300 calories per day with several hundred to spare. I eat All. Day. Long. If you are satisfied and meeting your protein and fat goals, 1600+ is nowhere near starving yourself. But also, enjoy treats here and there and put peanut butter on everything ????

I rarely hit all of my protein goal, and sometimes miss my fat goal too. I like adding a fat blob of Kerrygold butter to ...everything?!
    I have been weighing my peanut butter but might need to double up on it!

Do you eat all day because you are hungry?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I eat a normal breakfast and lunch but from about 3pm-bed I feel like I could just eat nonstop and still be hungry. Just feels like I'm always shoving food in my face :)