What Do You Take With You On Long Runs?

Options
So I am a little nuts. I can't completely run a 5k yet, but decided to start training for a 1/2 in October.

I have until September to register so I figure I will train as if I am going to do it and if I chicken out, it will still help with the 5k.

I found a trail near my house (its also near the metrolink, so if I can't finish it for some reason, I just have to make it to the next station and I can hitch a ride back to where I started) that is 6.9 miles from start to finish, so if I go there and back, I will end up with 13.8 miles.

Today I am just going to go for a nice long walk. My goal is to just walk the whole thing there and back.

Normally I would not take a whole lot with me on a "run" but since this is so much longer than I am use to, I figure I will take a few things.

So far in my backpack I have 2 large bottles of water (one is frozen), a lightweight jacket, a protein bar, an extra battery for my cell phone, a pocket knife, and some cash for the train (in case I can't finish).

Obviously when I am really training and running the longer distances I wouldn't carry all of this.

But, when you go for long walks/runs, what do you usually take with you?

Replies

• badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What distances are you doing right now? You should be find with just a bottle of water.... Yeah, I missed the part where you were walking the whole thing and not doing a 5K.:smile: On my long runs, I take water and honey zingers in my fuel belt, my cell phone, my ID, and my headphones.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Chapstick

If I will be in suburbia I bring tissues (along with a zip lock bag) just in case the nearest toilet is the woods.

ID

Water

If it is longer than 10 miles, or it is before breakfast, I will bring something to eat - power gel, Swedish fish, etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For a long run I have a fuel belt and my arm band:

Arm band - Phone, running Endomondo and Runkeeper - I rarely listen to music when I'm trail running but earbuds for coaching

Fuel belt - One 500ml bottle with eletrolyte, one 500ml bottle with plain water, tube of gel, small first aid kit with antiseptic lotion, plasters, blister plasters, antihistamene
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Today's goal is to walk the whole thing and back (total 13.8) -- not pushing my self for speed or time - just a leisurely stroll. If I can do that, at my normal leisurely stroll pace, it will take me 4 hours or so.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to be 90mins+ I wear a fuel belt that has a couple of small water bottles. Depending on temperature I'll take just water or water with an isotonic tab (zero cals) mixed in. I'll also take a couple of gels, my phone and an emergency £10.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Honey and water

If I am going over 90 minutes, I start taking squirts of honey, chased with warter, on the 20's.

Ie: @ 20 min, 40 min, 60 min, 20 min etc.
  • HWeatherholt
    Options
    I will also have earphones, my keys, and wallet (with id). I have a map of the trail on my phone (TrailLink app) and other map and coaching apps. I am going to be in a fairly populated area with several chances to use the bathroom have access to a water fountain and chicken out and turn around (and hitch a ride on the train home).

Today, again is just a leisurely stroll to get a feel for the distance, the trail, etc.,

I officially start training on Friday, and my first few runs (shorter distances/times) will be on a treadmill. When I get to the longer distances and times, I obviously will try to take the minimum with me but want to be as prepared today and in the future as I can.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wear a fuel belt. Carries my water, a little cash and a debit card. I also put a few running chews in there for runs over 9 miles.
    I have my phone with me to track my runs on Endomondo, for tunes (not too loud) and in case of emergency.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    On all runs I take my belt with my phone (music!) headphones, and my nike watch, anything over 5 I take a water bottle with my bottleband http://bottleband.net--- sooo handy! And anything over 8 I take jelly belly sports beans.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nutritionwise, nothing. I do my long runs starting from my house and I go out and back on a bike path for varying distances and will come back to the house and get a drink and head right back out in the other direction. Only other stuff is my iPod Shuffle and Garmin.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    ID. Water bottle. Salt. Phone in a SpiBelt (for emergencies).
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I bring some zero-calorie sports drink, MP3 player, and my phone. I've been up to 14 miles without needing anything to eat. As my long runs get longer this year I might bring something I can snack on.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I usually just have my HRM and my iPod. I probably should carry ID but I don't. I need one of those Road ID bracelets.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    iPod Nano
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I wear my running belt.

It holds a 12oz water bottle on my back. I also carry with me ID, house key, phone, chapstick, honey stinger gummies (that I only eat on runs greater than 90 minutes, and even then I try not to use them), a few dollars in case I feel like I need a Gatorade from the convenience store.
  • sassycraftyfit
    Options
    For a long run I wear a fuel belt with 2 10oz water bottles, my cell phone, a key to my house, and fuel (usually cliff shot blocks or honey stingers). And I have an ipod shuffle that I clip to my shirt. That's about it. Oh, and my Garmin watch.

Edited for typo.
  • RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All I take is my phone on an arm strap to time myself and check my distance and obviously for calling in case of emergency and a bottle of water. :)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Training for half marathons I take my phone and my dogs. The basics. I can't eat/drink while I run.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Garmin, RoadID, Shuffle, Water Bottle and phone (I am on call pretty much all the time).
  • HWeatherholt
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips.

I made it from one end of the trail to the other. Nike gps said 7.5 miles. I stopped to rest about 5 minutes finished off 1 of the large bottles of water - took a few sips along the way - and had the protien bar since it was already lunch time. As I was heading back, I got to 10 miles total and decided to hitch the ride home on the train, since my right hip was bugging me. But I figure 10 miles wasn't bad considering it was my first ever long "run".

It took me about 3 hours of a leisurely pace.

Officially start training on Friday.