results of 20year study reveal weight loss is unattainable

Options

Replies

• 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people here automatically assume all the studies done around weight loss and maintenance are based off participants who lost weight with pills/fad diets/cleanses/etc?

I've never seen a single person here post anything to back this assumption up. So it really just sounds, at this point, like wishful thinking.

I was looking through pubmed for some citations to address that claim, and am not finding much to back it up. One study I found that looked at fast, moderate and slow losers one a 1200 calorie diet + behavioral therapy + extended care had pretty unimpressive maintained losses at 18 months (max was 5 lbs or so for the fast losers), and less (though not a statistically significant difference) for moderate and slow losers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20443094

I would question the assumption that if only they looked at people who "made a lifestyle change" or counted calories we would see a higher success rate. The people in this study were prime candidates for "making a lifestyle change", given the behavioral component and extended care, and still could only maintain a 5 lb at most loss by 18 months.

I shouldn't have assumed anything. I guess I only assumed this was including all methods of weight loss because of the widespread use of everything under the sun.

Until we see this study, we can no more assume that it was done on people who counted calories than that it was done on people who used the latest fads. Was a link to the study being discussed ever posted?

ETA: Found something on the other thread. I don't know if it leads to this study. Going to read it now.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I weighed over 200 pounds. I have zero reason to think if I hadn't started losing I wouldn't have kept gaining. So I'd probably be well over 300 pounds now. Given that, even if I gain every ounce of what I've lost back in the next few years, I'm still better off than I would have been if I hadn't gone on a diet. Hell, I'd probably be dead by now.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This article from 1999 talks about the origin of the "95% failure rate". I don't know what the updated statistic would be.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/health/95-regain-lost-weight-or-do-they.html

ETA: links are helpful
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I will fall in that "95%" group because when I get to goal, or close to goal, I'm planning on getting knocked up. So I will end up gaining a small percentage back, which I will diligently work on losing again between and after the babies are born.

I wonder about the sample of people that was used to get that statistic. Cause I've dieted and yo-yo'd my whole life, for those times I WAS the 95%. But this time I'm in it for the long haul. Slow going for the win! 180 lbs in 5 years, that's the plan.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    What does research actually say?

There is a general perception that almost no one succeeds in long-term maintenance of weight loss. However, research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.long
    The majority of weight lost by NWCR members is maintained over 10 years. Long-term weight-loss maintenance is possible and requires sustained behavior change.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24355667

What success factors matter?
    Weight maintenance: self-regulatory factors underpinning success and failure.
    McKee H1, Ntoumanis N, Smith B.
    Author information

Abstract
    OBJECTIVES:
    To investigate the differences in the contributing factors involved in weight maintenance success and failure.
    DESIGN:
    Semi-structured interviews were conducted with both successful and unsuccessful weight maintainers. Eighteen participants were recruited (16 women), nine of who had lost 10% of their body weight and maintained this weight for a minimum of 12 months (Maintainers), and nine individuals who met the above criteria for weight loss but had subsequently regained their weight (Regainers). A thematic analysis was employed to compare the differences between the two groups.
    RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS:
    Two main themes highlighted the differences between the two groups, these were: goal regulation and self-control. Within these overarching themes, successful weight maintenance was related to the following subthemes: long-term, realistic goal setting, consistent use of routines and self-monitoring, avoiding deprivation and effective coping skills. Unsuccessful maintenance was related to short-term unrealistic goal setting, inconsistent routines and self-monitoring, experiencing deprivation and poor coping skills. These factors are explained in terms of the interrelationships that they have on one another and their subsequent impact on weight maintenance success or failure.

Ahh! You beat me to it!!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but you know this isn't General Diet and Weight Loss HELP, right?
    Not that I'm going to let it impact me in any way, but what was your purpose when posting this? What are you trying to achieve? First of all, it's one study you haven't even given us to look at. Second, it doesn't sound very accurate, because quite frankly, I know a lot of people who have lost weight and kept it off FOR GOOD.
    It's all in whether you want it enough, are willing to put the work in for it, and believe in yourself (oh and don;t make excuses)...
    You've given yet another silly excuse to people who don't want to lose weight and be fit enough. Congrats!
    If you believe it though, and you wanna lose weight- I'll tell you this. Don't ever let anyone put a bar in front of you and tell you you can't reach it. Don't let anyone make you think it's hopeless or impossible. YOU decide whether it's possible or not. The amount of work you put in decides whether it's probable.
    If you eat less food and burn more calories, you're going to lose weight... and If you continue that healthy lifestyle, the fat isn't magically going to jump on you. SO, take this study as a challenge, not discouragement... and prove that you're strong and that you can do it, people!
    It's not hard, it's just pure logic...what goes in, comes out;)

Honestly, I feel like this almost gets posted as an excuse. (OP I'm not saying that's you, I'm just saying...) Like well if this study says it's unattainable, what's the point. Might as well give up now, because that's already what they want to do, but they don't want to blame themselves so they can now blame the study.

I do not think posting something like this is at any way helpful on a diet site. Just my opinion.
    bEYzXQ6.gif

IMO...this is the exact place where information such as this needs to be. We have to face the facts...if we want to be successful...there is more to this than just losing the weight.

If one is smart...they will take articles such as this and start the research and planning for after they achieve a healthy weight. Look how many people come to this site looking for a quick fix...look how many people on a daily basis start a thread..."I AM BACK"...needing to lose the weight that they lost the first time that they here.

It is article such as the one in question that started me thinking about maintaining about half way through my weight loss...hoping that by the time I hit goal...I will be informed enough to keep it off.

Sometimes...cold hard facts...have more of an impact on someone than if we sugar coat it.

True. I just didn't think of it that way. I guess I was more looking at the ones always looking for an excuse to quit. I was one of those, but at that time I wasn't ready. So I retract my statement about it not needing to be on here because you are right. :drinker:

Wow Gracie---they always say that no one apologizes and changes position on the forums. You have just shown us how to do it with "grace" (pun intended). Thanks for a good example. :flowerforyou:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weight loss is unattainable.. People like me who lose weight and keep it off clearly don't exist.
    As have I (for 12+ years). We're the 5%.

Keeping it off is a challenge. You have to be ready to do almost exactly what you did to lose, and then be ready to tweak it as your metabolism and/or hormones change with age.

HOW i keep it off at 49 is different than HOW I kept it off at 39.

A few months ago there was a thread asking how many regained all their weight and were back. We need a "who's kept it off for 5+ years" thread, where folks can talk about how they've kept it off. Most folks are good at losing it. Folks should be sharing the secrets of keeping it off for years and years (not just months).

I would love a thread like that--great idea. Do it! :drinker:
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people here automatically assume all the studies done around weight loss and maintenance are based off participants who lost weight with pills/fad diets/cleanses/etc?

I've never seen a single person here post anything to back this assumption up. So it really just sounds, at this point, like wishful thinking.

It is wishful thinking. Everyone would like to think "that'll never be me!!" but they can't see into the future. Honestly, it's not worth arguing about. I saw your other thread. Everyone is always in the 5%. I was when I lost 80 lbs in 2002. I was again when I lost 50 lbs in 2005. lol Obvi, I was in the 95% every single time, and no pills/powders/fads/programs. Just less calories worth of what I used to eat.

Maintenance is the hardest part, guys. Remember that. Be ready for it.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    this "study" has already been put on the forum.
  • agrafina
    Options
    Ooops! Wrong thread. I need to look at my topics more closely.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I should have remembered the link but there is a study that was just recently released stating that obesity is here to stay. a 20 year study proves that dieting at any level is not going to help you lose weight if you are overweight. The study goes on to state that only 5% of dieters are successful in losing weight and keeping it off.
    The other 95% may lose the desired amount of weight but in every case they regain that weight and sometimes more over a period of 5-10 years.

Wow, a week in and you're already building in excuses for failure. Fact is that successful people don't diet, they modify their behavior, something that is much more involved, and difficult than simply jumping on the magical fat-loss bandwagon of the day. People who are truly successful shun the diet industry and hold themselves accountable, they dedicate themselves to self improvement, and most importantly, they refuse to make, or accept excuses.

Rigger
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's because losing weight isn't the hard part. Keeping the weight off is harder. We'll have to prove the study wrong.
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 30 pounds in six months. According to this study, I shouldn't exist.

I knew it! I'm a unicorn.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    I think you've misunderstood the study. That's true to the extent that people don't make permanent lifestyle transformations. Dieting doesn't work, this is true. Lifestyle changes do work!
  • agrafina
    Options
    I think you've misunderstood the study. That's true to the extent that people don't make permanent lifestyle transformations. Dieting doesn't work, this is true. Lifestyle changes do work!

And what is the success rate for making those permanent lifestyle transformations? Even in studies where there was extensive behavioral modification activities and extensive follow-up support, most people wind up regaining a significant portion of weight. If anybody is likely to be successful, it would be people participating in precisely those sorts of programs since they are teaching the skills necessary to make a "permanent lifestyle transformation". Most studies of weight maintenance consider weight maintenance to be successful if you can sustain as little as a 5% or 10% weight loss from your initial weight.. Anecdotes, of which we hear many, are not data.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Your success or failure has nothing to do with some random statistic. It is determined my intelligent action, Careful attention and Willpower. Just because most people don't have these qualities is no excuse to give up. But by all means do so, prove them right. I intend to prove them wrong.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe the people in the study received shtty advice.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I should have remembered the link but there is a study that was just recently released stating that obesity is here to stay. a 20 year study proves that dieting at any level is not going to help you lose weight if you are overweight. The study goes on to state that only 5% of dieters are successful in losing weight and keeping it off.
    The other 95% may lose the desired amount of weight but in every case they regain that weight and sometimes more over a period of 5-10 years.

Wow, a week in and you're already building in excuses for failure. Fact is that successful people don't diet, they modify their behavior, something that is much more involved, and difficult than simply jumping on the magical fat-loss bandwagon of the day. People who are truly successful shun the diet industry and hold themselves accountable, they dedicate themselves to self improvement, and most importantly, they refuse to make, or accept excuses.

Rigger

I agree. Though we all want to lose the extra weight...it has to be about more than that.

For me...I had to take a long hard look at why I let myself become such a mess...it wasn't pretty. Along with losing the weight I had to also deal with those issues...if I want to have any hope of keeping the weight off long term.

I don't call this a "life style"...I call it "letting go of those things that I used for excuses"...most of all I see it as "allowing myself to have the life that I deserve".
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    What in_the_stars posted in the other thread on this issue is far more enlightening to me than rawr rah rah willpower, get some!

"The Rockefeller subjects also had a psychiatric syndrome, called semi-starvation neurosis, which had been noticed before in people of normal weight who had been starved. They dreamed of food, they fantasized about food or about breaking their diet. They were anxious and depressed; some had thoughts of suicide. They secreted food in their rooms. And they binged. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/health/08fat.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is no ordinary test of willpower. This requires extraordinary willpower. Failing to acknowledge that is setting ourselves up for failure.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't call this a "life style"...I call it "letting go of those things that I used for excuses"...most of all I see it as "allowing myself to have the life that I deserve".

This is one of the best things I've ever read on this board.