Options

Replies

• scanna1219
    Options
    How about cornmeal?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds can be a good sub. As can parmesan cheese.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I use cooked Bulgar...oh wait that's made of wheat.

How about cooked barley or quiona? I've also tried the cooked oatmeal (not instant) and that worked.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just omit them. I use a mashed up tomato and an egg to bind it all up.
  • karinaApplebombinos
    karinaApplebombinos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been using quick steel cut oats and I always put a ton of veggies in too.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    oats or Panko!!

Panko is made from white bread.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    U throw some Gorilla Munch in my Magic Bullet and use that. Gives my turkey loaf a slightly sweeter (corn) taste
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but my mum used to make gluten free meatloaf back in the old days when gluten free breadcrumbs weren't available, and gluten free bread was really expensive (and not that nice). So maybe having a look at gluten free recipes might have some good ideas!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks everyone! I will try all of these suggestions! I think my first try will be quinoa or quick steel cut oats (the gf kind). Thanks so much everyone!
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    get by without any bread or oat. I just shread up celery and carrot and my family LOVES it! boom!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This weekend my mom said she heard gluten allergy is fake.

maybe you should google that to see what the newest info on that is...before you go to too much trouble changing your diet around.

I don't know enough about all that gluten free wheat free allergy sensitivity detail to say one way or the other, but just if I were going to a lot of trouble to change my diet, I'd want to know if new information were out about it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    get by without any bread or oat. I just shread up celery and carrot and my family LOVES it! boom!

Celery and carrot doesn't make a panade. I take it your family hadn't had a legit meatball or meatloaf before?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Oats, rice, etc. Or just leave them out. I've made meat loaf without any. I put in mushrooms and onions in a red wine and soy sauce.. Sauce...
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

maybe you should google that to see what the newest info on that is...before you go to too much trouble changing your diet around.

I don't know enough about all that gluten free wheat free allergy sensitivity detail to say one way or the other, but just if I were going to a lot of trouble to change my diet, I'd want to know if new information were out about it.

Reminds me of a funny video.

http://youtu.be/AdJFE1sp4Fw
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    we use corn flakes at my work
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try ground Soy Crisps - the Sea Salt variety. Works great.
  • sweetbear45
    Options
    a good substitute be panko crumbs but I don't know for sure I will check for you
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    i've used quinoa in those meatloaf muffins - works out well!

Thanks, was wondering about this. Also some greag ideas for substitutes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I like to bash up rolled oats or quinoa flakes in the food processor as a substitute for breadcrumbs. Not just for meatloaf and meatballs, but for battering chicken before oven frying too.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I think she means that gluten "intolerance" or "sensitivity" is not real. Like people without Celiac, saying they are intolerant to wheat. I don't know if it's true or not, but there is a lot of contraversy about it. The allergy is real. Celiac Disease is most definitely real.