Need a DIFFERENT beginner's running program

Options
Hey everyone. I used to be a pretty sweet runner (as my username suggests). I did a lot of 5Ks, did some 10Ks, moved my way up to 10 milers to half marathons and did a full (very slowly).

All of that was a while ago though and I'm basically starting again from the beginning. I'd like to work my way up to 5Ks again this summer, so far I can do about 1.25 miles at a time.

My trouble is I would like to find a program that will get me there. I don't like couch to 5 k. I've tried it a few times and I don't like it and can't stick with it. I don't like the walk/run programs, personally I just want a program that tells me to increase my milage every so often. The problem is I don't know how much milage to shoot for or when to increase without guidance, at the level I'm at.

I've looked at Hal Higdon's programs that have helped me before, but the most basic one assumes I'm up to 2 miles at a time and I'm not, I'm still getting into it.

Any suggestions for a program, or just suggestions in general that is NOT c25k?

Replies

• laban1ca
    laban1ca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Runkeeper's training programs? I'm not sure what they offer for 5ks but I did one for a half marathon and it was great.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this will be much help or not, but I too did not like C25K, I tried a few times and just couldn't stick it out. Once I hit the mile mark I just kept adding a little distance as I thought I could. Took me a while that way, but since the first of the year, when I was at just about 1 mile, I've progressed up to the 5 mile mark. I think if you just stick with it, maybe add a quarter mile, or heck, even a tenth mile once a week or two you will get where you want to be.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a program, or just suggestions in general that is NOT c25k?

Just go out and run, add about 10% per week to your distance.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Runkeeper's training programs? I'm not sure what they offer for 5ks but I did one for a half marathon and it was great.

I was going to suggest Runkeeper, too :)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I just looked at runkeeper and a lot of them say run/walk but at least one does appear that it can be modified so that I can just run. I think maybe 10% per week sounds like a good balance. I was trying to add whole half miles and then I got overwhelmed. Thanks for the info :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think maybe 10% per week sounds like a good balance.

That's about the maximum recommended increase per week, less important at short distances but it's a good discipline to get into.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Half mile addition at a time would be a real struggle. I do best adding small increments, usually about a quarter mile, then stick with that for a week or two, then move forward if it feels right.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you previously ran more you may just need to increase it from under 2 miles to 3 or 4 (assuming your body tolerates it of course). For me the first 2 miles mostly feels like I am dying and I want to stop constantly but I keep pushing and once I am over 3 I get into a good rhythm. Where you run can matter too. I hate running on a track or treadmill but like running at a local park that has trails with lots of trees.
  • SMMilbrandt
    SMMilbrandt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun and Runnersworld both have programs... yes you have to buy them, but it sounds like your frustrated enough that maybe that is just what you need! They seem much more in-depth than the couch program and there are different levels like beginner to 5K and intermediate 5k. Otherwise... just run! Your body will adapt to the pressure you put on it. Keep running as long as you can every other day. Whatever it takes, just realize that it just takes time. But you probably already know that due to your background with running. I'm sure it just feels frustrating to not be able to go back to your ability before you stopped running, for now, just don't give up and you will see results :D
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    OH and the reason I can't just do what I did the first time I started running (or I don't want to) is because when I first started running I spent 6 months building up endurance on ellipticals and was somehow able to run 3 miles. Now I just want to start from scratch :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If you previously ran more you may just need to increase it from under 2 miles to 3 or 4 (assuming your body tolerates it of course). For me the first 2 miles mostly feels like I am dying and I want to stop constantly but I keep pushing and once I am over 3 I get into a good rhythm. Where you run can matter too. I hate running on a track or treadmill but like running at a local park that has trails with lots of trees.

^^ Me too!

I've also tried slowing down my jog - I'm slow already, but it's not a walk. And I find that I can go further especially if I slow down that first mile.

I also agree on the 10% increase; at least that's what all the 'experts' say. Listen to your body - sometimes, it just feels great to keep on going and other times not.

Also - I was listening to Jenna Wolfe interview and she said a strong core would help runners more than anything. Plank!

Good luck!!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I started running a decade or so ago, I basically was doing my own version of C25k, but knew nothing of that program. I'd just get on the treadmill and run, and run a little further each time until eventually I was running 3 miles. As others have said, be careful about not increasing more than about 10% per week. I think a reason that the run/walk plans are good to get started is that you're covering more distance, thus getting your body accustomed to the mileage, before you actually start running that distance, thus protecting against injury. Check out Another Mother Runner's 5k plan here, there's a link to download the pdf on the page. Maybe you'd like it better than the c25k plan?

http://anothermotherrunner.com/2012/08/27/beginningrunner/