Squats making legs bigger

Options
Hi guys- I've always been relatively fit (peaks and troughs!) and can push myself pretty hard in the gym when I want to. My overall MFP goal is to lose weight as I am quite small and even though I'm muscly it's under a layer of fat. Normally in the gym I rotate and do a mixture of weighted and non-weighted ab work, weighted legs and arms and running 5kms.

Recently I've started squatting (on 35kg 12reps, 5 sets at the moment) because I heard they're really good for burning calories/losing weight/general wellbeing. However, instead of making my legs leaner as I'd hoped, it's made them significantly more muscly (stretch marks!) which I really don't want as they were already toned.

I just want to lose weight all over, especially on my stomach and upper back can anyone recommend the best exercises for doing this without becoming physically larger (even in muscle).

Thanks!

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Would you mind showing before and after pictures?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Squats, especially if started recently, have not increased the muscle mass of your legs. What you are likely experiencing is water retention in your legs as a response to a new stress you have added to that part of the body. Keep squatting.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It can't be the squats. I've been doing squats regularly for two years and my thighs are the slimmest they've ever been
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, you're not gaining muscle, especially not enough to visually notice. I've been bulking/recomping since late last July, and despite being 20 pounds up, am still in the same size clothes.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Squats, especially if started recently, have not increased the muscle mass of your legs. What you are likely experiencing is water retention in your legs as a response to a new stress you have added to that part of the body. Keep squatting.

^^Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this post because I'm soo worried about my thighs....They are huge (in a bad way), and I love squats. I'd hate to see them get muscly....I really hate my legs and will wear pants in the summer sometimes just so people won't see how much cellulite I have (plus how white I am!)

So I guess the general consensus (so far?) is that squats will definitely make your legs more lean? I sure hope so :)
    238426 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies! I've had this problem before though, my legs always become much bigger from muscle from other exercises - such as the intense hockey I used to play- and slim down when I stop (I know that's muscle loss). I have been squatting for two months now, gradually upping the weights and have also been doing leg presses at 83kg 12x3. I just don't see how it could be anything else? As I stated, they are already muscly and have always been fairly big (as I dance etc.), and just seem to be getting bigger. I am only 5ft1 - don't know if that's a factor?
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I agree it's probably water retention. I have lost 0.5" from my thighs in the last month doing heavy compound squats and deadlifts while eating at a slight deficit (1900 cals). Keep squatting.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Your height doesn't matter. Maybe start taking measurements so you can reference your progress.
    Options
    this is probably a good idea (though scared of measurements haha, ignorance is bliss)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this post because I'm soo worried about my thighs....They are huge (in a bad way), and I love squats. I'd hate to see them get muscly....I really hate my legs and will wear pants in the summer sometimes just so people won't see how much cellulite I have (plus how white I am!)

So I guess the general consensus (so far?) is that squats will definitely make your legs more lean? I sure hope so :)

Squats won't make your legs more lean. They won't make your legs bigger in a calorie deficit either.
  • 1saturn
    1saturn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hm. I have quite big thighs and quite muscular ham strings which = big legs. I don't know why as I've never done a squat in my life.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For the most part you can't grow muscle while on a diet. When you are dieting (effectively) are are in taking less energy than you burn. Your body literally does not have enough energy to maintain itself so it gets it from stored fat (and muscle). How would he body magically find enough excess energy to build new tissue when it doesn't have enough energy to even maintain the tissue it has?
    Options
    ok thank you everyone- I'll keep squatting and keep y'all in the loop! haha