Excercise.

Options
Hi all, new here and just starting out on my weight loss. I need some help.
I currently weigh around 320 pounds, I am 6 foot so people tell me I don't look it, but seriously, I feel it; out of breath all the time, cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes type 2 problems, so I am looking to lose a lot of weight.
I would like to do it fast than usual to start with, to try and help with health issues, but eventually losing a few pound a week.

The problem I have is, I am a shy person lol, meaning I don't like to go to the gym, or run (out on the street or in a park etc) so I have been looking online for websites that may give excercise tips for burning fat easily, and they need to be things I can do with basic everyday household stuff. I have an excercise bike but the seat is definately not made for people like me, I come off it feeling worse than ever.

So if anyone has any ideas on what I can do around the house to burn fat quick, that would be helpful thank you :)
(Just so you know, I realise losing weight fast can sometimes be bad, and a lot of people say if you lose it fast you can end up putting it all back on just as quick, but with my health problems, heart conditions run in the family too, so I am looking to try and avoid that, like I say, I want to lose a lot of weight at first really fast, then steady myself down to an ideal weight, which my doctor will surely let me know if I'm near that lol he tells me off about everything else.)

Thank you again, sorry for the long read.
NJC

Replies

• JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    hi!! i start out at 306 now im 292 and im 5'11 welcome to mfp! this is just the start of your journey ! hun do not be scared of the gym everyone is there for the same reason some may be smaller then you and some may be bigger then you but the gym or any type of workout is great but i love going to the gym and seeing all of the fit people it reminds me why i started going to the gym in the first place i also have type 2 diabetes and dont be shy the main thing to work on is eating weighing and measuring food properly and the weight will come off the exercise is just a plus !!!! you can do this !
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally understand about the whole "shy" person thing, not wanting to join a gym, run outside, etc. Let me tell you, I felt so embaressed when I started my journey to workout in front of anyone. I felt like I "looked stupid" or, like I didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, I had to get over that, because I really knew it was the best way to lose weight. I realized, everyone was me at one point with similar feelings. Also, I learned quickly people around me were focusing on themselves, not watching me workout. I know how hard it can be trust me! But, there is nothing better than long walks/jogs outside or interval training/incline training on a treadmill or elyptical machine. You get results quicker than you would at home.

I totally understand if you want to avoid this. You can certainly find A TON of information right off a Google. There are several Apps on the Iphone/Android etc as well with workouts/example routines.

Plyometrics (stairs, jumps, lunges, etc) is a great form of cardio. Jump rope, stairs, and mountain climbers are a few examples as well. There is always going the strength training route as well. Start of small, and work your way up. You can always purchase weights from a local Target, Walmart, or sports store if you want to start at home where you are most comfortable.

I know how hard this can be, but if you put your mind to it, and focus on yourself you can do it!

Feel free to add/message me if you need any help :)

Good luck!
  • msncush
    msncush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Daily burn is an online exercise program.
    $10 a month and they have over 12 separate programs to chose from.
    Buy DVDs for at home.
    Utube for at home workouts.
    Chris Powell's book, Choose More, Lose more for life.
    The excises in there use your own body weight.
    Do something each day and then the days will add up.
    Good luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi all, new here and just starting out on my weight loss. I need some help.
    I currently weigh around 320 pounds, I am 6 foot so people tell me I don't look it, but seriously, I feel it; out of breath all the time, cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes type 2 problems, so I am looking to lose a lot of weight.
    I would like to do it fast than usual to start with, to try and help with health issues, but eventually losing a few pound a week.

The problem I have is, I am a shy person lol, meaning I don't like to go to the gym, or run (out on the street or in a park etc) so I have been looking online for websites that may give excercise tips for burning fat easily, and they need to be things I can do with basic everyday household stuff. I have an excercise bike but the seat is definately not made for people like me, I come off it feeling worse than ever.

So if anyone has any ideas on what I can do around the house to burn fat quick, that would be helpful thank you :)
    (Just so you know, I realise losing weight fast can sometimes be bad, and a lot of people say if you lose it fast you can end up putting it all back on just as quick, but with my health problems, heart conditions run in the family too, so I am looking to try and avoid that, like I say, I want to lose a lot of weight at first really fast, then steady myself down to an ideal weight, which my doctor will surely let me know if I'm near that lol he tells me off about everything else.)

Thank you again, sorry for the long read.
    NJC

Check out Walk At Home videos......this is low impact aerobics with no choreography. The great thing about no choreography is you can go at your own pace....nothing to count so you can't fall behind. Make the moves smaller or bigger. Add arms or not....it's up to you. This takes very little space.

Here's a 15 minute walk in the lower left corner (under Try It!)

http://www.walkathome.com/
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You tube has a ton of exercises, the one I use is fitness blender, there's a lot of different ones to choose from, most you don't need any equipment.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Even with your health conditions, losing steady and consistently is the way to go (unless otherwise advised by your doctor). Shoot for consistency and learning how to improve your relationship with food. Learn and practice healthy habits that will stay with you for a lifetime. Think lifestyle...not diet.

Exercise is awesome. But you don't need a gym membership to lose weight. Calorie deficit is what's needed to lose weight. So, once again, staying consistently in that calorie deficit and logging everything will result in weight loss. But let's go back to exercise is awesome. For at home work outs I would check out youtube. There are tons of free workouts on youtube! I'd also suggest Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD's....(some are free on youtube). She's easy to follow and low impact, all in the privacy of your own home!

Once again - Lose the weight at a healthy pace!! A lot of people go into the weight loss process with gun blazing only to burn out and give up because they can't sustained such a drastic change. Subtle changes make the biggest differences. Best of luck!!
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally understand about the whole "shy" person thing, not wanting to join a gym, run outside, etc. Let me tell you, I felt so embaressed when I started my journey to workout in front of anyone. I felt like I "looked stupid" or, like I didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, I had to get over that, because I really knew it was the best way to lose weight. I realized, everyone was me at one point with similar feelings. Also, I learned quickly people around me were focusing on themselves, not watching me workout. I know how hard it can be trust me! But, there is nothing better than long walks/jogs outside or interval training/incline training on a treadmill or elyptical machine. You get results quicker than you would at home.

I totally understand if you want to avoid this. You can certainly find A TON of information right off a Google. There are several Apps on the Iphone/Android etc as well with workouts/example routines.

Plyometrics (stairs, jumps, lunges, etc) is a great form of cardio. Jump rope, stairs, and mountain climbers are a few examples as well. There is always going the strength training route as well. Start of small, and work your way up. You can always purchase weights from a local Target, Walmart, or sports store if you want to start at home where you are most comfortable.

I know how hard this can be, but if you put your mind to it, and focus on yourself you can do it!

Feel free to add/message me if you need any help :)

Good luck!

so true about the people that are in the gym i used to feel like i was being watched all the time and people dont even care lol
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more motivating than to go to classes with others. You can watch their form, learn new exercises, and build friendships which lead to this new wonderful habit of going to the gym.
    If you are totally against it, there are great exercises to do at home. I think some of the best are burpees, push ups, planks, squats, jump rope, (really anything to get moving) I have just always found it very difficult to push "myself" at home. When my trainer is encouraging me to "PUSH",... I "PUSH!!"
    Good luck!!
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hello! and welcome!

As someone else mentioned, the walk at home videos are great and that is what I started out doing. I used Leslie Sansone's 5 Mega Miles walk. It is 5 miles, split into 1 mile segments.I usually would only have time to do around 2 to 3 miles. Each walk is set up differently with different moves added. I was burning about 100 calories a mile depending on how much I put into it. Since your a bit heavier you'll probably burn more.

As much as I love the gym, I live way to far from any so Work-out dvds have been a huge help for me. For more intense workouts I find Jillian Michaels is pretty good too.

Above all, diet has a bigger impact on weight loss than exercise, so weighing and counting calories will help out a lot too!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    With a lot of weight to lose, and if you have been sedentary for a while...even walking at a moderate pace can have a huge impact on your weight loss. You say you don't want to run out in the street or park, and I totally get where you're coming from! But walking feels and looks less awkward, and draws less attention, and...I promise...the fresh air will do you so much good. Maybe there are quiet roads for getting started? In addition, once you suck it up and do it a few times, you become so much more comfortable being active in public...which makes it easier...which leads to more self-confidence...which leads to doing it more...a very positive cycle.

If you're really not ready for that, though...as someone mentioned there are "walk at home" videos. Start there and work your way up to going outside.
  • NJ_coxon
    NJ_coxon Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, is all I can say. I am astounded by the replys this message is getting and I am truly grateful for the advice which I am taking note of, and putting into action right now. Looking on youtube etc.

The gym = I didn't mention it in my first post, but the main reason for not going is the shy issue, which I spoke about. But another factor is, I don't work at the minute, being a full time carer for my dad. Unfortunately, unless there are free membership gyms out there, I just can't afford to go even if I wanted to. But I get it, walking outside is free (for now ;) lol ) so I will try to work on that.

I don't like to randomly add people I don't know. Not that I don't want to, I would love to make new friends on here, but again the shyness kicks in, yes even over the internet :P Lol so feel free to add me if you would like.

Again, thank you
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    Look into bodyweight routines like Convict Conditioning and You are your own gym. They can be done at home without equipment (tho having a few dumb bells or kettle bells will help you kick it up a notch). Also fitnessblender has tons of workouts and they're free!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Check out nerd fitness - there are some awesome bodyweight routines that you can do at home. Best of luck.
  • msncush
    msncush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can jump rope.
    Run / walk laps around your house / up / down your street.
    Use gallon jugs of water and cans for weights.
    Pour out some water if it's too heavy. You can freeze the jugs if you use less than a gallon so the water's not moving all around on you.
    Find work out DVD's at garage sales/ thrift stores / your local library.
    Start and each day you'll feel better.
    How many of us love to get up to go to work each day? But there is a paycheck because we still did it.
    Same with the weight loss and working out.
    You'll always feel better after you finish the workout.