Creatine Info anyone ??

Options
Just started taking Creatine post workout .. I am told I will gain weight, if only due to water absorbtion .. is this true and should I reduce calorie intake to compensate ??? I am trying to do the hardest thing .. drop weight and gain muscle .. hmmmmnn

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    since the weight you will gain will be water weight, do not lower your intake to compensate.

ETA: dont expect mad gainz just because youre taking creatine. if you are still eating at a deficit, the muscle you will build will be minimal and taper off quickly.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't react to water weight changes. Creatine will most likely help you work harder. Eat at deficit, strength train, get enough protein. Good luck.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you manage to lose weight and gain musc,e, please post your secrets. Because current science says it cannot be done.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you take it - post workout is fine but it's no different than taking it in the morning or in the evening. As for water weight, I typically gain about 5 pounds on creatine monohydrate, some people might gain more, many gain less, but realize it's just water weight. In other words, keep calm and don't worry about it.
  • fengojeff
    fengojeff Posts: 5
    Options
    First off, if interested in gaining muscle and strength i would check this out.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5

Its a simple and easy rutien to follow, and doesnt leave you in the gym 7 days a week to get results, i find one workout for me is about 25-30 min and you get faster the more you do it. Also has a handy little app for your smartphone which tracks data for you.

Info on Creatine.

Creatine is one of the most widely-researched bodybuilding and sports supplements on the market.

Does that mean it will work for you? Or is even right for you? Not necessarily.

It does, however, have a fairly extensive body of published research that validates it efficacy in certain groups and under certain controlled-conditions. Some people report great results with creatine, and others find it a complete waste of money.

Creatine is a naturally-ocurring organic acid that is plentiful in skeletal tissue like muscle. Creatine is used by the body to regenerate ATP – a chemical that transports energy into the cells. When you perform work (for example, curling a dumbbell) the cells in your muscles get their energy from ATP. When you experience fatigue, it’s because your cells have consumed the availble ATP. When you rest, ATP is regenerated, allowing your to perform more work.

Creatine (specifically phosocreatine which is converted from creatine) “buffers” ATP at a cellular level, in theory allowing you to perform more work with out being as easily fatigued.

Creatine is both a muscle volumizer (meaning it drives fluid into the muscle, making it larger — although this is usually temporary) and also can increase your performance in the gym in terms of recovery time between reps. In other words, some people find that creatine allows them to do a rep or two more without fatiguing, which over time can increase mass.

The effectiveness of creatine supplementation in terms of lean muscle gains may be dependent largely on your current diet. Creatine is naturally present in meats and poultry, so if you already have a diet high in those foods, you may not experience the same results as people who eat less of these foods. Vegetarians, for example, often experience the most noticeable results from creatine.

The jury is still out on the long-term effects of creatine supplementation, but it is generally considered safe for use in healthy adults.
  • fengojeff
    Options
    you can loose weight and gain muscle

http://stronglifts.com/5x5 can show you how.

You will gain about .5lbs of muscle a week while loosing 1 lb of fat give or take a few oz.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    First off, if interested in gaining muscle and strength i would check this out.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5

Its a simple and easy rutien to follow, and doesnt leave you in the gym 7 days a week to get results, i find one workout for me is about 25-30 min and you get faster the more you do it. Also has a handy little app for your smartphone which tracks data for you.

Info on Creatine.

Creatine is one of the most widely-researched bodybuilding and sports supplements on the market.

Does that mean it will work for you? Or is even right for you? Not necessarily.

It does, however, have a fairly extensive body of published research that validates it efficacy in certain groups and under certain controlled-conditions. Some people report great results with creatine, and others find it a complete waste of money.

Creatine is a naturally-ocurring organic acid that is plentiful in skeletal tissue like muscle. Creatine is used by the body to regenerate ATP – a chemical that transports energy into the cells. When you perform work (for example, curling a dumbbell) the cells in your muscles get their energy from ATP. When you experience fatigue, it’s because your cells have consumed the availble ATP. When you rest, ATP is regenerated, allowing your to perform more work.

Creatine (specifically phosocreatine which is converted from creatine) “buffers” ATP at a cellular level, in theory allowing you to perform more work with out being as easily fatigued.

Creatine is both a muscle volumizer (meaning it drives fluid into the muscle, making it larger — although this is usually temporary) and also can increase your performance in the gym in terms of recovery time between reps. In other words, some people find that creatine allows them to do a rep or two more without fatiguing, which over time can increase mass.

The effectiveness of creatine supplementation in terms of lean muscle gains may be dependent largely on your current diet. Creatine is naturally present in meats and poultry, so if you already have a diet high in those foods, you may not experience the same results as people who eat less of these foods. Vegetarians, for example, often experience the most noticeable results from creatine.

The jury is still out on the long-term effects of creatine supplementation, but it is generally considered safe for use in healthy adults.

In the future you may want to provide the link: http://www.answerfitness.com/262/bodybuilding-supplements-do-they-work-ask-fitness-nerd/

Otherwise quote and provide the person who wrote it some credit. Strong first post though.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

You will gain about .5lbs of muscle a week while loosing 1 lb of fat give or take a few oz.

really.

gain 1/2 a pound of muscle AND lose 1 pound of fat... each week?

That's awesome.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It's fine to take, I've taken it on and off since the early 90s when it came to market. Just drink a lot of water and don't worry about a loading dose. Just take 5 to 10 g / day and that's it. It's not 'needed' but can help you get an extra rep or two and slightly better pumps. But it's cheap and well studied beyond any other supplement out there, so go ahead if you want to try it.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

really.

gain 1/2 a pound of muscle AND lose 1 pound of fat... each week?

That's awesome.

This is actually great news! So roughly 26 pounds of muscle year one, and over 50 pounds of fat. The whole energy balance thing goes right out the window. Fantastic news.
  • wheird
    Options

No, no you cant. Additionally, stronglifts is a strength centric program. Not hypertrophy centric.
  • skullshank
    Options

did you join today to post this?

strength =/= mass
  • fengojeff
    Options
    fat weighs more than muscle so you loose more and gain less. your gains/losses will also change with proper diet.

i have lost 10 lbs in two weeks by cutting out soda and fatty foods and working out 3x a week.
  • sculli123
    Options

This is actually great news! So roughly 26 pounds of muscle year one, and over 50 pounds of fat. The whole energy balance thing goes right out the window. Fantastic news.
    Hopefully you're trolling.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    fat weighs more than muscle so you loose more and gain less. your gains/losses will also change with proper diet.

i have lost 10 lbs in two weeks by cutting out soda and fatty foods and working out 3x a week.

I now of a sure fire way for you to drop 20 pounds of fat, but you only get one chance to get it right.
  • sculli123
    Options

Do you think before you post? Fat weighs more than muscle? 10 lbs of fat = 10 lbs of muscle = 10 lbs of feathers = 10 lbs of rocks in your head you potato.
  • skullshank
    Options

WE'VE GOT A LIVE ONE, GUYS!
  • fengojeff
    Options
    First and foremost, the body is inefficient at performing both activities at the same time. The only times when both happen at peak efficiency are:

When the person is just a beginner who is starting bodybuilding, in which case, weight training is such a new stimulus to the body that muscle gain and fat loss happen extremely efficiently.

When coming back after a period of no weight training in which case the body is just regaining muscle tissue that has been previously built. If, God forbid, you get the flu and couldn't train for three weeks, once you come back you will experience simultaneous accelerated muscle gain and fat loss.
  • wheird
    Options

Please explain to me how your body can create muscle without the proper building materials.