How to cook my veggies?

Options
AsaThorsWoman
AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
Hello friends!

California mix, which is a blend of carrots, cauliflower and broccoli have been a staple of my diet.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it with this homemade cheese sauce I make which contains grass-fed butter, heavy whipping cream and cheese.

The only problem is, I'm trying to reduce the amount of dairy I take in.

And ideas on how I can dress up my broccoli or my California mix that's not just adding the best cheese sauce in the universe?

I was thinking Tamari and Nutritional Yeast, despite that that would be heavy in sodium.

Any other ideas?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Spray with a little olive oil and roast in a 200C oven for about 20 minutes. Optional additions of balsamic vinegar, or grated parmesan.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Cheese is dairy.

I love using Parmesan in my sauce, but I'm trying to cut the dairy.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Everglades seasoning (not sold everywhere, you may have to get it online) but it makes EVERYTHING better. Garlic and salt, I've used Old Bay seasoning on mine, olive oil and fresh ground pepper, weber kickin chicken seasoning. Endless possibilities :)
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My favourite is to either grill them or cook them in a wok, with balsamic, garlic and a tiny bit of olive oil. Delicious!

Or keep them raw and throw them in with a salad.
  • naishadr
    naishadr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like adding Italian dressing to my mix...especially if its grilled YUUUUUMMMM
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I second the roasting in the oven with a little olive or coconut oil, then throw in some seasonings. I use regular old seasoning salt, some bagel seasoning that has onion powder in it or the yeast some times.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Another option....teriyaki, or some other Asian sauce (yes high in sodium)....but so is cheese. Stir fries are great.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Bragg's Aminos, Cavender's Greek season and mucho red pepper on ERRYTHING
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Bake, stir fry, or grill. Mrs. Dash has a bunch of different seasonings. I sometimes marinade them overnight in roasted garlic rice vinegar and they are ready to eat the next day.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Roasted in oven at 425 for 20ish minutes, slathered with ghee (not really dairy) and lots of herbs of just garlic. I could eat a whole container of homemade ghee with a spoon. It's the very best thing, it makes veggies taste nutty and delicious :)
  • Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I second Mrs Dash! LOVE it! Coat Butternut Squash, Brussels sprouts, potatoes with EVOO, shake on some Mrs Dash and pop it in the oven!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Roasted in oven at 425 for 20ish minutes, slathered with ghee (not really dairy) and lots of herbs of just garlic. I could eat a whole container of homemade ghee with a spoon. It's the very best thing, it makes veggies taste nutty and delicious :)
    Ghee is clarified butter. Butter is dairy. Yes, Ghee is really dairy.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lawry's seasoning salt and throw them in the oven to char. :bigsmile:

I love the exact same veggy blend that you do. Although I think I'm going to start buying those 3 fresh and cut up a giant thing of them. Can't get them crispy enough in the oven without them shrinking too crumbs.

Add:

I use the low sodium version just because. Unless instructed by a doctor, if you drink enough water you don't really need to worry too much about sodium intake.

The other thing which I found out: a 1/4 teaspooon of salt is 500mg. 1 teaspoon is the average daily amount suggested I think?

No thanks. I'll put that much on an avocado half and eat it. :blushing:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Isn't the definition of "ghee" clarified butter? Yes, the milk solids are removed but it is still technically a dairy product broadly defined. Basically, ghee is dairy fats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarified_butter
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

There are vegan alternatives which are forms of partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Oh, and almost any veggie can be improved by a little judicious sauteing with garlic and onions in olive oil.
  • krillersmom
    krillersmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine will steam her broccoli and then put a tablespoon or two of garlic hummus in the pot and let it get all melty. She swears by it, and it sounds amazing, it would probably work for the cali mix too.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes folks, I realize that ghee really is dairy :) I made the statement based on the fact that the eating lifestyle I follow allows for ghee where dairy is not. The reason for this is many do not tolerate dairy however by turning butter into ghee (taking it further than clarifying it) you cook out the milk solids, removing the casein, which is usually what causes the intolerance. I wouldn't recommend ghee to a vegan but I happen to be friends with the OP and know she is not, therefore my suggestion to her seemed pertinent, albeit badly worded :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Yo!

For real though, I'm cutting back on dairy, but still having cream in my coffee (that's not up for negotiation!).

I'm not a Vegan, but I am thinking that there could possibly be a hormonal imbalance causing the delay in my progress, so I'm trying to cut out my dairy (except the stuff in my coffee!) to see if changing the casein and lactose levels in my body will be enough to prod my hormones back into optimum fat burning balance!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm good with plain steamed veggies, but I especially like my veggies grilled with just some dry seasonings.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The one broccoli recipe that is all over here - tiny bit of garlic oil (as garlic will burn and taste bitter) - roasted, lemon zest and juice and some fresh parmesan

Or garlic oil and cumin - I eat this all the time :)