HELP!!! Should you eat your active calories back???

Options
I'm seriously so confused. I want to lose 34 pounds and currently weigh 169, height is 5'6 and I'm a female, 39 years old. I have read so many things my head is spinning... Is there anyone out there who has dealt with similar weight loss, height and weight range that can offer any advice. I would appreciate any help :) Thanks so much

Replies

• skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wrong category...
    I always eat them back. I know successful people who don't. Your choice.
  • losingth3fat
    Options
    if u eat them back u will stay at the same weight and now lose much:smile:
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    eat half back : ) (personal opinion)
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you should or not. I always eat about 1100 calories regardless of how much I exercise. I guess I don't pay much attention to what I burn. I'm interested to hear what others say also.
  • jessraju
    jessraju Posts: 1
    Options
    My trainer always says eat half back also!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include exercise in its calculation for what you need to eat to lose weight. You would lose weight eating the amount MFP says, even if you were not able to exercise at all.

When you do exercise, it gives you more calories for fuel.

Some people say that the MFP exercise database gives too many calories for exercise, so they only eat some portion of it back, half or 3/4. If you use a heart rate monitor for cardio, this is more accurate than the MFP database.

If you do not eat calories back, you could be under-eating, and this isn't a good thing, it can have a number of negative side effect and long term can be damaging.
  • JustinHastings
    Options
    For both myself and people I work with, I think it's best NOT to eat your active calories back. Just set a daily calorie goal and stick to it. It keeps things simple and you can get into more of a routine with your diet. Then, if you're not seeing progress, make adjustments to your caloric intake as necessary. For the vast majority of people, food intake is the primary factor that needs to be adjusted for weight loss, not exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    For both myself and people I work with, I think it's best NOT to eat your active calories back. Just set a daily calorie goal and stick to it. It keeps things simple and you can get into more of a routine with your diet. Then, if you're not seeing progress, make adjustments to your caloric intake as necessary. For the vast majority of people, food intake is the primary factor that needs to be adjusted for weight loss, not exercise.

If you follow MFP's allotted calories, it is designed so that you eat them back.

If you set your own number that includes exercise, then no, you would not.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I just had this discussion with my dietician yesterday. She told me not to unless I am feeling hungry, then eat half back. The reason is because I am eating 1800 calories and only trying for a loss of one lb a week. If my goal were higher, my calorie target lower, or I exercised more, then we would rethink it. I personally have a lot of leeway.

She also said to definitely not eat back the incidental calories I get with extra steps in my firbit, There is enough of a margin for error both in any brand or type of pedometer/activity tracker as well as the calorie estimations in food that those really should be ignored. No matter how accurately you weigh and measure, there will be some error. Each 4 oz apple will be different calories because the amount of sugars and water in an apple vary from type to type and tree to tree.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    if you use mfp way of calories then you are to eat the calories BACK.. but if you use a tdee method you do not.

the more people you ask the more conflicting answers you will get. everyone has their own beliefs and ideas.. and different things work for different people. you can always try one way for a while.. and then the other and see what works for YOUR body.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    if you did not input them when calculating your MFP or TDEE calculated cal goals then yes, you should eat them back.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    if u eat them back u will stay at the same weight and now lose much:smile:

Really?
    Because I've eaten them back before and I kept losing weight.
    You're still eating at a deficit if your food and exercise is logged correctly. You need to eat at your BMR to stay at the same weight, which is higher than the deficit given by MFP (which has your activity and BMR factored in).
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I multiplied 8 x my weight to get the calories I should be eating every day. I eat that amount if I exercise or not and I try to eat protein in the amount of 1g/lb of lean body mass.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • emhente2s
    emhente2s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always eat them back and have still lost weight. Just depends on your goals you've set and the type of exercise you are doing. I don't log ALL of my activites, but that's how I balance out sometimes at the end of the day when I've eaten more than what I've anticipated (go for a run, etc).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    34lbs to lose?
    I lost my 34lbs eating back my exercise calories.

Please have a read....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP set targets, yes eat them back. Your target is just that. It is a target you aim for (not try to stay under). It has a calorie deficit built into it based on the information you have put into the system when you set up your account. This deficit will remain in place even when you eat back the exercise calories. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness. When you work out, you need to make sure you are fueling your body for those workouts. You will have a really hard time getting in the appropriate nutrition your body requires if you are continually eating less than you should. Problems that arise from this include: lethargy, difficulty concentrating, muscle wastage, brittle hair and nails, etc. Those don't sound like fun to me.

The best way to make this sustainable is to ensure you are eating enough to remain healthy and still enjoy your food.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think it depends.

My husband does P90X and will run. He needs to eat some of his calories back.

I may go for a regular walk. I don't.

Just be careful that you don't overestimate your work and underestimate your nutrition.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP settings, then yes, eat them back. This is how MFP is designed to operate. Some people choose to eat back only a portion (50%-80%) to make up for any estimation errors.

I believe the rules are different if you follow TDEE and have your settings manually adjusted, but you'll want to ask someone who knows more about that than I do. :)
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is great advice

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

p.s I eat half or more back, but never all
  • Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 calories regardless of workout calories burned. I figure if I go negative in calories good, but that's my opinion and it seems everyone here has their own too.