Walking A 10K -- Any apps?

Options
I'd like to train to walk a 10K happening November. I've heard of various apps, but most seem centered on running. Anyone know of a training app or schedule for walking a 10?. I didn't find one when I searched the iphone app store.

Thanks!
Christy

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If the question is about tracking your walks, mapping and pace recording, then there are five main apps that you could look at. These would be:

Endomondo
    Runkeeper
    Strava
    Runtastic
    MapMyFitness

If you're talking about a schedule to train for a 10K distance, then I'm afraid I can't help with that, but as walking is realitely low stress I'd suggest just taking your furthest distance at the moment and add a half kilometre to it each week until you're comfortably walking the distance.
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have the MapMyFitness, so maybe I'll just follow a schedule that I found online. That is probably the least complicated way to approach it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you might be able to walk a 10k now. Start walking a couple miles and add on miles as you go.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and I only walk, don't jog or run. But it's great because you can set a pace and set audio cues to let you know when you're slowing down, and increase the pace to quicker whenever you're ready.. or you can set distance goals as well and just keep upping them as you go to longer. It will track your speed (pace) and distance for you and you can choose whether or not you want the audio cues nudging you lol.. and it's free and it synchs with MFP too.. just thot i'd share in case it helps! :bigsmile:
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions! I will look into Runkeeper. Sounds really helpful.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    CardioTrainer. I freaking love it. You can use it for more than one exercise. I use it for my walking, it maps it, tracks calories burned, pace, distance, time for each km/mile, any change in elevation. You can set up to remind you to go for your walk as well.

I ran it along side mapmyfitness the other day.... 200 calorie difference. So I think mapmyfitness overestimates. :O