Transitioning to maintenance and a bulk

Options
Hey All-

So I think I probably have another 3 months or so for my weight loss before I am going to want to transition into maintenance or likely a slight surplus to put on some muscle (with heavy lifting). I have another estimated 15 pounds of fat to lose so it may take longer than 3 months if my weight loss slows.

I am currently netting 1800 calories with most days taking in 2100-2200 a day. I've been losing weight at about 1.3 pounds per week thusfar so I'm figuring with my current activity level and exercise I maintain at somewhere around 2900.

So here is my question. When I do start to approach my goal in terms of percent bodyfat and wish to consider transitioning should I do so gradually or just eat 3100 calories immediately. Is it personal preference or is it actually preferable to transition smoothly or abruptly? I imagine also that in changing my routine I may need to re-evaluate my maintenance level as well.

This question is going out to all those bulk/cut cyclers out there who I imagine go through this process frequently.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I suspect you would get more replies in the gaining weight section...just a thought.

As well just my opinion...I would gradually raise...I haven't done a bulk but that's how I am getting up to maitenance.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I wondered exactly the same thing

Consensus on the bodybuilding forums seems to be a gradual calorie increase

Some said 10% increase per week
    Some said eat the same but cut the cardio - effectively increasing your net calories
    Some said increase by 200 calories a day each week
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Gradual change is the way to go. If you want to get to bulking without gaining back a good deal of body fat, add in calories at a rate of 50-100 cal/day/week until your weight begins to increase 0.5-1 lb/week. This slow increase in weight will help to minimize body fat gains during bulking. Also, you'll want to adjust your macro settings to more carbs.

Allan
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Gradual change is the way to go. If you want to get to bulking without gaining back a good deal of body fat, add in calories at a rate of 50-100 cal/day/week until your weight begins to increase 0.5-1 lb/week. This slow increase in weight will help to minimize body fat gains during bulking. Also, you'll want to adjust your macro settings to more carbs.

Allan

Makes sense, thank you. I would imagine that once you have your required protein and required fat for muscle building and health that you would want to put the extra calories in carbs for energy to sustain your workouts.

I do want to bulk as cleanly as I can so the gradual approach does appeal. I will say though 0.5-1 pound per week was faster than I was expecting. I was figuring I'd be lucky to put on 15 pounds of muscle in a year and that would be more like 0.25 pounds per week.