paleo

Options
Is anyone having great results with paleo or other low carb diets??

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have great results with them

What are you hoping to do?
    And why do you think paleo is the avenue in which to do it?
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of paleo , I like my complex carbs , but it has worked for some people. You can follow a low carb diet on non-workout days , that is what I do...So 1-2 days a week I do this. Super easy to do
  • nicoleanthoine
    nicoleanthoine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i need to drop weight. I keep hearing about paleo. I'm 2 weeks into now. It's alot of prepping!!!!!
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I went strict Paleo and maintained it for a week before I started to add some things back in that work for me like oatmeal and cottage cheese and some skim milk. I think Paleo is terrific but I don't think its necessary to follow it strictly.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: the Paleo diet is based on junk science and absolutely ridiculous suppositions about our relationship to supposed ancestors, who have as much in common with us as we have with your average giraffe.

That said, eating primarily garbage-free protein, healthy vegetables, and the right fats won't kill you. I just get ticked about the cult like following of the diet. The truth is the Paleo diet won't hurt you, you will lose weight, but it isn't necessary. Especially if you are exercising a lot, which you should be.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    It works but I need my complex carbs and would never survive it.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If you wish to lose weight, a calorie deficit is needed. Everything else is personal preference.

If you want to lose fat and maintain the muscle you have, eat enough protein and lift heavy.

Paleo is not a requirement for either approach.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a totally valid dietary choice. If it sounds like something that you would like or like a good way to change your way of eating, then give it a try.

I've actually looked into it before because it is one of few limiting eating styles I could possibly maintain without chewing my own arm off. However, I have a hard enough time meeting my calorie and iron needs, so cutting out dairy and supplements would be too problematic.
  • emmaalyssaa
    emmaalyssaa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Paleo works for people (not all). Not everyone gets it but that's okay. I use it as a major baseline. I typically am eating low carb but if i want something carby, i won't not eat it. It's all about balance! I generally try and stick to whole-natural foods :)
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm having success on a paleo diet. I roughly follow the one that is in the back of Primal Blueprint.

Like somebody else said, you can adjust it to your needs. The paleo experts I follow all make the same recommendation: follow it strict for a while (they recommend 30 days), then start adding things back to your diet to see how they affect you. You may find some of the foods that are recommended for avoidance don't affect you at all.

Paleo is not "junk science".
    Paleo started with theories about what our pre-agriculture ancestors ate. Ok, that's not much science, but they didn't didn't stop there. They found other science (although not all of it is conclusive) to back up many of the theories that came from the what-did-our-ancestors-eat concept.
    For example: They started with "our ancestors did not eat a lot of carbs" and followed it with studies about insulin, addictive properties of sugar, etc, that support the idea that humans do not need nearly as many carbs as modern Americans eat. They started with "our ancestors could not digest wheat" and followed with studies about celiac, wheat intolerance, anti-nutrients, etc that provide evidence that some people today can still not digest wheat (or can't do it very efficiently).
    It's not at all conclusive, but most weight-loss science is not.

Paleo is not necessary for weight loss. But the low-carb aspect is extremely helpful for managing hunger and cravings. The other restrictions are really about learning about your own body and discovering which foods might be having less-than-ideal affects on your health.

If that's what you want to do, do some reading to understand the reason for the various restrictions before trying to incorporate them. Find a good paleo support group. I think there's one on MFP. I also read MarksDailyApple.com to keep me motivated.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: the Paleo diet is based on junk science and absolutely ridiculous suppositions about our relationship to supposed ancestors, who have as much in common with us as we have with your average giraffe.

That said, eating primarily garbage-free protein, healthy vegetables, and the right fats won't kill you. I just get ticked about the cult like following of the diet. The truth is the Paleo diet won't hurt you, you will lose weight, but it isn't necessary. Especially if you are exercising a lot, which you should be.

This man speaks the truth.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    i need to drop weight. I keep hearing about paleo. I'm 2 weeks into now. It's alot of prepping!!!!!

You don't have to do paleo to lose weight.

I eat anything I want.....
    I just keep it within my desired total calorie intake.

So I would suggest you figure out how many calories you need daily, and eat 20% less to lose the weight you need.

It seems like you don't really want to do paleo or there is a health reason for doing so....

So understand how one loses weight first, then decide on how and what you will eat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I'm having success on a paleo diet. I roughly follow the one that is in the back of Primal Blueprint.

Like somebody else said, you can adjust it to your needs. The paleo experts I follow all make the same recommendation: follow it strict for a while (they recommend 30 days), then start adding things back to your diet to see how they affect you. You may find some of the foods that are recommended for avoidance don't affect you at all.

Paleo is not "junk science".
    Paleo started with theories about what our pre-agriculture ancestors ate. Ok, that's not much science, but they didn't didn't stop there. They found other science (although not all of it is conclusive) to back up many of the theories that came from the what-did-our-ancestors-eat concept.
    For example: They started with "our ancestors did not eat a lot of carbs" and followed it with studies about insulin, addictive properties of sugar, etc, that support the idea that humans do not need nearly as many carbs as modern Americans eat. They started with "our ancestors could not digest wheat" and followed with studies about celiac, wheat intolerance, anti-nutrients, etc that provide evidence that some people today can still not digest wheat (or can't do it very efficiently).
    It's not at all conclusive, but most weight-loss science is not.

Paleo is not necessary for weight loss. But the low-carb aspect is extremely helpful for managing hunger and cravings. The other restrictions are really about learning about your own body and discovering which foods might be having less-than-ideal affects on your health.

If that's what you want to do, do some reading to understand the reason for the various restrictions before trying to incorporate them. Find a good paleo support group. I think there's one on MFP. I also read MarksDailyApple.com to keep me motivated.

LOL

:smile:
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Any lifestyle which reduces or eliminates refined grains (not whole grains), added sugar (sugar, HFCS, and other refined sugars, not sugar found in natural sources like fruits) is, generally, viewed as a good move for optimal health.

For some, especially type A personalities, Paleo is a great lifestyle. At the end of the day, it's your body, your choice, your lifestyle. Try it out. If it works for you, great! If not, at least you tried.

A guaranteed way to failure is by not trying.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's completely useless for weight loss if you accurately count your calories. You will get the same results and still enjoy all the food you like with no restrictions.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    in for the impending circle-jerk
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you wish to lose weight, a calorie deficit is needed. Everything else is personal preference.

If you want to lose fat and maintain the muscle you have, eat enough protein and lift heavy.

Paleo is not a requirement for either approach.

QFT and emphasis
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    "weight loss science" not being conclusive = lol

It's science. Math. Concrete numbers. How is that not conclusive?

All that aside, eating paleo is not a diet "cure-all" to drop the pounds. Unless you're doing it for moral reasons, restricting yourself that heavily could lead to more damaging behavior (binging, rage quitting because you're hangry, etc).

If you like bread, eat it. If you like milk, drink it. If either of those things causes you digestive discomfort, see a doctor or licensed nutritionist and find out what steps you can take at that point. Before it's medically necessary... why bother?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    .......If you like bread, eat it.......

I like bread! :heart: