I finally got the courage to look at before pictures!

Options
I have intentionally kept from looking at before pictures until last night. If you click my profile picture you will see my before ...and during picture. When I saw these pictures side by side I cried for 10 minutes. I have no idea why it affected me so bad, but it did. In a happy kind of way though.

It has been a little over 5 months since I started my journey of a better me. I am 5 ft 2 and weighed in at 229. My starting BMI was 41.7%. To date I have lost 41.6 pounds.

I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance a while back. I had these issues for a long time but I could not get a dr to take me serious until a few years ago. Before Christmas, exactly Dec 17th I made up my mind I had to do something. I was so tired of being sick and tired. I used all kinds of excuses to keep from being more active. For one it hurt like heck to even walk or get out of the bed in the morning.

I had fallen off a roof a in 2004( that is when the weight started really piling on) and my leg got hung in a rung on the way down. I fell 12 ft to the concrete below.. When I landed my right leg was shattered and my foot was literally pointing backwards. Now, after surgery I have enough metal in my leg to set off a metal detector a mile away. I was down for the count a long time. When that healed I dislocated my knee on my right leg after a dog clipped me from behind. It was similar to an injury a football player would have. I know I sound like a walking disaster but Once that healed I fell in Walmart on some water that was the result of melting ice because their ice cooler was messed up. I chipped my knee cap on the right knee just shortly after it healed from being dislocated. Just trying to explain why I really do hurt pretty darn bad...but again that was an excuse.

Right before Thanksgiving last year I fell on my porch and landed on that knee again and it forced me to go to an Orthopedic/joint dr. When I walked it sounded like gravel crunching. I knew I had messed something up really bad. After extensive xrays my Dr concluded that I had severe arthritis in my that knee( I have it bad on my left leg that was broken). My knee cap was off center and moved off sight about 2 1/2 inches. I lie you not my cap was almost to the side of my knee. So, I was ordered to do physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee cap so it would pull the cap back in place. I have to wear a knee brace and was ordered to do cortisone shots in my knee. So....that was the last straw. I had to make a change and fast.

I have lost over 41.6 pounds. It still hurts like heck to walk but I can tell you it hurts a lot less being lighter. The weight loss has helped my blood sugar as well. When I went to my general Dr in Oct my A1C was 6.7. When I went on March only after dropping a little over 20 pounds at that point my A1C had dropped to 6.2. My bad cholesterol went from being high to being normal the same for my triglycerides. I go back the 24th of this month. I am excited to see how my labs have changed since the last 3 months. I also noticed other changes to. My cycles have actually became regular for the first time in my life and hormone levels have evened out. Some of the aspects of PCOS have improved A LOT. Due to having PCOS in my earlier years that was undiagnosed I was never able to have children due to it.

I have lost 4 pant sizes :). I put off buying some new clothes until last month. I had to. I put on a pair of my shorts from last summer and I swear to you they fell to the floor buttoned up lol. That was the best feeling ever and a good problem to have I suppose.

I got a long road ahead of me. This is a commitment I am prepared to accept for the remainder of my life. So far it has been hard, but I am a stubborn and very determined woman. My husband got on the band wagon yesterday. He has committed to join me in my battle to learn how to be healthy. I am so thankful to have his support.

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Congratulations.....you're doing great.

P.S. I think you need wrapping in cotton wool. Lol.
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LOL, Craignev my hubby says the same thing! I have never been accused of being overly graceful that is for sure! Thanks for the words of encouragement!
  • goaliema
    goaliema Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. It definitely is tough to lose weight when you have pcos.but even harder to get your family dr to realize it as well. You are well on your way and it is a lifestyle change..
    All the best
    Goaliema!!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Your progress is really inspiring :)

And I think bubble wrap would be more fun than cotton to be wrapped in lol!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Congratulations.....you're doing great.

P.S. I think you need wrapping in cotton wool. Lol.
    Or bubble wrap! Bubble wrap is lots of fun!

Way to go!! You look amazing and deserve to step back and be proud of your accomplishments!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You are a pretty amazing example of "fall down seven times, stand up eight" and you have done an awesome job in your recovery and weight loss so far! Keep up the good work.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You are a pretty amazing example of "fall down seven times, stand up eight" and you have done an awesome job in your recovery and weight loss so far! Keep up the good work.

QFT

Amazing job OP! I look forward to seeing more updates from you in the future. :smile:
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Great progress. Looking good.
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your success so far! And good luck for your upcoming blood work!
    Great news about the pants and shorts being too big - time to go shopping! :happy:
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So proud of you! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Glad to be sharing the journey with you.
  • nashvillenellie
    Options
    You got that right about being tough to lose weight with PCOS. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life.
  • nashvillenellie
    Options
    Thank you Regan45. Yes it feels awesome. Your encouragement over the past few months have meant a lot to me. THANK YOU!
  • nashvillenellie
    Options
    Oh yeah, I am going to wait until I make the 50 pounds lost mark and I am going to go on a shopping spree. I have some money stashed back for the occasion. It gives me something to look forward to!
  • nashvillenellie
    Options
    I agree about the bubble wrap, that would be WAY more fun lol.
  • nashvillenellie
    Options
    I had my monthly weigh in today at my Dr visit. He was pleased and so was I. I lost 12 pounds between May 6th and June 9th. I am inching closer to my 1st goal of 50 pounds lost! I am so happy.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Great loss ! Thanks for sharing
  • nashvillenellie
    Options
    Great loss ! Thanks for sharing

Thank you :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Loved reading your "story". The difference in your pictures is amazing; such great progress!! Oh, and at least your shorts didn't fall off in public. I know someone whose panties did! If you wear dresses, don't wear too-big panties.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Someone said to wrap yourself in cotton and I agree! You sound like a very determined woman and look how it's paid off. Not only are you changing but your husband is now going to join you which will help you stay motivated. It's nice to have a weight loss pal.

The best of luck to you on your continued journey. I'll know you'll reach your goal with your attitude.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!