OMG (typical eating in the movies story)

Options
Hello! I feel like I need to confess. Yesterday I couldn't help myself and ate one ice cream, 75g Candy King sweets and small popcorn. I feel bad about it, but I went to see a movie and just couldn't resist temptation to eat sweets while watching... I wanted to buy also bacon crackers, but I managed to suppress my cravings. I knew I could slip, so during the day I ate veggies (1 avocado for breakfast, 2 cucumbers for lunch and 90g cashews for dinner.) Even though I have chosen small portions, MFP told me that I have underestimated the amount of fat and sugar in those delicious items. I feel very bad about it. I try to include more protein in my diet, and today's breakfast includes high-protein cheese w/ brewed coffee. Yes, I promise that I will control myself further on. It's just there are so many delicious sweets surrounding me (and don't forget the smell of freshly-made popcorn) that I just want to eat it all. Chewing while watching movies is so... me. I want to get rid of this eating habit. Honestly. I think I still managed to opt for the smallest quantity of each sweets, and I consider that a step forward to self-discipline.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    B....bacon...crackers???!!!??? This is a thing???

0d74892e9812d3d2dd7a562c910dd168.jpg
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hmmm (hope this comes out the right way) Sounds like you had preplanned to cheat and eat those things, or you would have eaten as normal for the day?

Perhaps eating your normal meals, you would have felt full and resisted the need to fill up on those things!

In the end, it's only a bit of popcorn and a snack, do extra exercise tomorrow, learn from it, move on from it.
    If you can't have a bit of freshly cooked popcorn, what can ya do?? lol
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If all I had eaten all day, before an evening at the cinema was an avocado, some cucumber and some cashews I would probably have eaten the seats! Lesson learned perhaps - better to eat proper meals and either i) stay away from the cinema sweetshop or ii) choose something yummy but sensible portion wise and enjoy it. Unless you go often one cinema treat will not do too much damage.

Still - no lasting harm done :wink:

ETA - yes cheese is high protein but take care on portion - it is very high fat and can be very high salt too!

Logging before eating may be your friend - you'll then be able to assess the balance of your meal before you've eaten :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I knew I could slip, so during the day I ate veggies (1 avocado for breakfast, 2 cucumbers for lunch and 90g cashews for dinner.)

Yes, honestly, it does rather sound as if you set yourself up. First, you mentally prepared yourself to binge at the movie...you knew you were probably going to do it, and tried to prepare yourself for it, which sort of gives you permission to do it. Second, you physically set yourself up as well by eating so few calories during the day that you were probably starving by the time you got there.

I hate eating anything noisy during a movie, as it interferes with catching all the nuances of sound. I might miss something because of crunching! If I think I'm really going to want a snack at the movie theater, I sneak one in rather than buy the exorbitantly priced crap there. That way I can have something much more reasonably healthy and not even be tempted by the candy counter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If all I had eaten all day, before an evening at the cinema was an avocado, some cucumber and some cashews I would probably have eaten the seats! Lesson learned perhaps - better to eat proper meals and either i) stay away from the cinema sweetshop or ii) choose something yummy but sensible portion wise and enjoy it. Unless you go often one cinema treat will not do too much damage.

Still - no lasting harm done :wink:

ETA - yes cheese is high protein but take care on portion - it is very high fat and can be very high salt too!

Logging before eating may be your friend - you'll then be able to assess the balance of your meal before you've eaten :smile:

all of this!
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Go on a big run / walk today / tonight...and I mean a big one.

Properly tire yourself out.

The effort / pain will serve as punishment for your scoffing activities yesterday - but will also do something to compensate for the calorie intake.
    -

At the end of the day, EVERYONE binges occasionally - don't feel too bad for doing it OCCASIONALLY.

But work your *kitten* off to pay for it ;-)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    B....bacon...crackers???!!!??? This is a thing???

0d74892e9812d3d2dd7a562c910dd168.jpg

Lol
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

The effort / pain will serve as punishment for your scoffing activities yesterday - but will also do something to compensate for the calorie intake.
    -

At the end of the day, EVERYONE binges occasionally - don't feel too bad for doing it OCCASIONALLY.

Punishment? For eating? Really?

d6f8199823f4814539473f1600b60b1f.jpg

While it is a good idea to increase your activity on a day when you have excess calories, it's very unhealthy to begin viewing exercise as punishment, and eating as a punishable offense.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    What are bacon crackers? Thank you :smile:
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Punishment? For eating? Really?

Alright Stark, control your self.

Pug-dog-tongue-reaction.gif?

for the humour deficient i was being cheeky :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

-

just no....
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For gods sake do NOT punish yourself. Yes, go for a run/walk/exercise to earn yourself some calories but it's not a punishment! Jesus tap dancing christ...
  • elliecovellie
    Options
    Bring food with you to the movies that is lower calorie- Grab a freezer bag and bring a small portion of froyo. Bring plain popcorn/popcorn with low cal sweetner, bring water so you don't overdose on everything and the be all and end all...

... don't starve yourself if you know your going to be in a hard diet situation. Eat a big, healthy meal before you go to the cinema, and get there just in time for the movie so no time to browse.
  • heatheramara
    Options
    RDJ. Robert.Downey.Jr.

He is so much cooler now that he has cleaned up and started kung fu. Kind of a role model for me. A hot, hot role model.

:)

Also, I agree that it's ok to have a snack at the movies. It was always a special treat growing up, and it makes the experience more nostalgic for me. For myself, I try to stick to ONE thing when I do indulge. Or try one of those kid's packs they sometimes have. You know, a normal *actual* portion of popcorn with an 8-12 oz. drink and a lunch bag sized sweet (usually gummie bears).

It might not be your first choice, but at least it really IS the smallest size option they have. Another calorie-saving (and wallet saving) move is to just buy the kind of candy you want (in a single serving pack) and at the store then split it in half at home and put the other half in your purse to nibble after you have some of your popcorn. Another strategy is to buy the smaller bags of popcorn and only eat 1/3 or 1/2 (my cue for myself is when I notice I am REALLY thirsty for that soda) and then fold the top down on the popcorn and put it on the floor next to my seat. Sometimes I take it home and reheat it the next day. Sometimes I just throw it away. Either way I decide, I just shaved off about 1000 potential calories for that day but still got to have the nostalgic experience.

Ultimately, if our new eating styles don't fit in with our lives, and give us the kind of lives we really want to live, nothing of this will pay off in the long run. My advice for next time? Eat healthy meals, earlier, and think about why you really want to be healthier before you go to the movie. Not only will you feel fuller, making it easier to make healthy choices, but whatever choices you make you will feel more at peace with. It's easy to put down the popcorn when you are coming from a place of self-care and self-love.

One last thing, I know it's hard to think about eating half a package of candy. Look at it this way, though--it's like you get to have treats 2 days in a row without feeling bad about it. Studies have shown that most of the pleasure in food comes from the first three bites. Even chocolate! If I get a slice of cake (which I only do 3 or 4 times a year, and make sure it's REALLY GOOD, like from my favorite bakery cake) then I will have a few bites, or 4 or 5, then put it in the fridge so I have it to look forward to the next day...and maybe the next day, too.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and those strategies have really helped me feel good about portion control, especially around emotional eating like going to the movies, or special occasions, or even just when I see a really, really lovely cake.

Good luck! :)
  • AGirrl
    AGirrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you! YES! I should have eaten more during the day, I was just too afraid to go way above my cal limit... I log everything I eat, even small snacks (such as one strawberry,) and I usually plan all my meals ahead so that I am able to remind myself every time the importance of eating healthy.

Sometimes I just want to chew something, so I bought a chewing gum (deception, yes, healthy -?... Not quite, I guess.) Next time I go to the movies I will try to resist temptation to eat more than I should.

I call my favorite biscuits w/ bacon flavor... bacon crackers! I love, for example, those: http://www.stama.co/products/biscuits-tuc-bacon-100g YUM! I haven't eaten them for a while, though.

I have discussed my diet plan w/ my coach (I go to the gym quite regularly) so I'll stick to it and train more & eat less carbs (I'm on a high protein diet for a couple of weeks.)

Thank you so much! I fell much better when talking about food... And certainly less hungry, lol.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    At the movies last night I ate a small tub of Ben and jerry's, chocolate brownie ice cream, a small tub of caramel ice cream and a small bag of popcorn.

And I hit my calorie goal and my macros.

And I didn't starve during the day, I had a bacon, egg and tomato roll for breakfast. Turkey wraps for lunch, a snack before I ran and a protein shake after my run before the film. The trick is to pre log, go on a day you have a few more exercise calories and take your snacks with you so you know exactly what you are eating.

You can still eat all the deliciousness at the movies, you just have to do a little pre planning. Don't punish yourself for enjoying the food last night (I see that that poster was joking but sadly people do suggest that all the time) just learn from the experience. :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So you ate somewhere from 700-1000 extra cals at the movies.

If you are going to the movies every day, it might be an issue.
    If you are doing this in other places, every day, it might be an issue.

If you are generally at a deficit, this is just a small break that might even help on long term adherence if you understand that it is ok.

Because it is ok.

Even if most of these 1000 calories didn't fit into your day and you went over one day, it's ok.
    Just log it and move on. Keep working on your general deficit.

No need for punishment.
    No need to feel guilty.

Long term, it was just a nice movie night.

Overall, stay active, eat well, win and enjoy the splurge when you want it - consciously aware of what you are doing.