I need quick, healthy and hot !

Options
Goodmorning everyone!

I am looking for a couple of ideas. I start college shortly and will be busy with gym, school and homework.

I need something that could be made quick for dinner, i dont want to eat a sandwich everynight, its not that filling and i go to sleep hungry. And I love a hot meal :D... okay that just sound fat haha. If any one has some ideas i would be excited to hear them

Thanks yall

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Do you have a freezer which you can put ready prepared meals in?

If not a quick favourite of mine is thai curry with ready made (a good brand) thai curry paste-fry veg, add paste, water and some coconut milk (or cream, or for cheapness creamed coconut from a block)-serve with quick cook noodles (mung bean noodles are great added straight in as they cook quickly) or microwaveables rice :)
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Easiest, cheapest college meal in the universe:

1 can of beans (3 bean mix or 4 bean mix, or any type of bean you like really)
    1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes
    Herbs (any combination of the following: oregano, basil, paprika, dried chili, rosemary, thyme, 'italian mixed herbs', salt, pepper, anything else you have on hand)
    OPTIONAL (but recommended): sautéed onion + garlic
    OPTIONAL: frozen veggies
    OPTIONAL: stirfried chicken breast chunks or beef/pork/lamb/turkey mince
    OPTIONAL: serve with rice

Literally, mix everything together in a saucepan or even in a bowl in the microwave if you're desperate (google ways of cooking chicken in a microwave if you wanna add the chicken to it - it can be done!). Voila! Healthy, UBER cheap meal. If you want even cheaper, use dried beans and soak them for 12 hours beforehand.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Herbs (any combination of the following: oregano, basil, paprika, dried chili, rosemary, thyme, 'italian mixed herbs', salt, pepper, anything else you have on hand)

Literally, mix everything together in a saucepan or even in a bowl in the microwave if you're desperate (google ways of cooking chicken in a microwave if you wanna add the chicken to it - it can be done!). Voila! Healthy, UBER cheap meal. If you want even cheaper, use dried beans and soak them for 12 hours beforehand.

I'd just add that if you go down the dried bean route you will have to boil them and cook them separately before adding to your tomato mixture as otherwise you might get an upset stomach.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Do a food search for poedunk's all of my recipes will come up
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Crock pot meals... and freezing leftovers
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Pasta and stir fries. Even from scratch you'll be eating in half an hour.
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Romy, I like doing stir fry veggies with chicken, pork, or beef strips; it's quick and healthy. Try an omelet with peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever. Get yourself a slow cooker/crock pot...throw some stuff in, turn it on low when you leave in the morning, and there will be a hot meal ready when you get home. Maybe on a day off from school...do some meal prep for the week, and freeze portion size meals you just have to heat up when you get home. For some specific ideas for recipes, check the recipe section, or message me!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Egg dishes are my go-to when I need something filling, quick, and hot (and eggs are pretty cheap!). You can scramble them and add in whatever you like - cheese, veggies, other meats, etc. If you pre-chop veggies it takes maybe 8 minutes to cook, start to finish, and you'll only have one small pan to clean.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I am going to try this for supper tonite. It sounds great!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Crock pot meals... and freezing leftovers

this - it is perfect. I usually "crock pot" on weekends and then freeze leftovers. God bless microwaves and crock pots
  • ChelseaSmile22
    ChelseaSmile22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :love: I am for sure trying this!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a two go-to's for this:

Chili:
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 can chili beans
    1 can tomato's (I usually get whatever's on sale, but try to get one that's got garlic and/or onions in it or is "chili ready")
    Tomato sauce or some sort of beef stock, chicken stock - about 1/2 cup to a cup
    Package of chili mix.

Brown the turkey, drain it. With the meat in the original pan, I'll add the chili mix, stir it around, then add the remaining ingredients.
    Bring to boil, then back to simmer - wait 20 minutes, and it's ready. It freezes well - and if you double the recipe, you'll have lots!

Spaghetti
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 can tomatoes (again, something with basil, oregano, garlic, or some combination thereof)
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 small can tomato sauce or some sort of stock
    1 bay leaf (Husband likes that - I can go either way)
    Dash or so of garlic powder, salt, pepper. MAYBE a pinch of sugar
    Whole grain/whole wheat pasta

FIRST - start a pot of water for the pasta
    Brown the turkey; then drain off the liquid/fat. I usually take the tomatoes, paste, and sauce/stock and put it in the blender. We're not a big fan of cooked tomato chunks in our sauces (We do that with the chili too.) Then pour that into the skillet with the drained cooked ground turkey. Bring to boil, then simmer. While it's simmering, boil the pasta according to package directions.

Other options:

My mother-in-law likes to put chili on her baked potato's so maybe on a leftover night, nuke a potato in the microwave to cook and top with chili.

Sometimes I'll take a pita pocket, slice it in half, and with one half, I'll take some of the spaghetti sauce on it, sprinkle on parmesan cheese and some shredded mozzarella (or Italian cheese mix with asiago and provolone) - I'll use the other half to make "garlic bread" with - (little bit of butter or "I can't believe it's not butter" spray, or even some olive oil, then garlic powder, and light sprinkle of the cheeses) -
    >> Put in the oven for probably 5-8 minutes.

I've even used a tortilla to make a "cheese pizza" with.

I've used rotissierie chicken (or shredded pulled chicken from the nearby barbecue restaurant) shredded some of it up, put it on a tortilla with some shredded Mexican 4-cheese - popped it in the toaster oven for a few minutes, fold it in half - instant quesadilla. It's better if you add a little salsa, maybe a few chopped up jalopenos and/or onions.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I go simple... a nice piece of meat cooked anyway and a huge nice salad, add all kinds of veggies to it and yum! (watch the dressings I use salsa's mainly, low, LOW calorie and great extra flavors) If you have enough calories left, have a half a baked potato or some rice. Cook the potato in the microwave and then cut it in half lengthwise and save 1/2 to reheat tomorrow or the next day..
  • turpenoid
    turpenoid Posts: 73
    Options
    I personally am a huge fan of stir fries and I also tend to keep tofu on hand instead of meat. I feel cleaner when I'm just eating plant-based proteins, but that's definitely not something anyone else has to do!

I found a few links with a quick google search that look pretty interesting...

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/dinner-in-20-easy-healthy-dinner-recipes/

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/main-dishes/quick-and-easy-healthy-recipes/

And, as lame as it sounds, you can always find some good recipes on Pinterest. Usually they're linked to someone's blog so you can follow step by step for foods that are new to your kitchen!

Hope this helps :)
  • vvvalentines
    vvvalentines Posts: 151
    Options
    Last fall I had nearly the same lunch every day that I had class, and it only took about 10 minutes to prep in the morning.

I bought the big bag of frozen salmon filets from Aldi (each one is individually wrapped) for something like $8 for 12 pieces. I would keep a couple filets in the fridge so they'd be thawed/ready. Pan-fry the salmon in the morning, with a little salt/pepper or soy sauce/sesame seeds. Then I'd steam some vegetables--broccoli, kale, "California blend," whatever--and put those in a container. I'm put the fish on the vegetables, maybe pour in some dressing, and pack that in my lunch bag with a thermos full of iced tea.

Reheating fish in a microwave can smell pretty gross, but luckily salmon (even cheap salmon) and vegetables tastes pretty good cold.

ETA: When I want something warm RIGHT NOW, I warm up a cup of (homemade or store-bought) chicken or beef broth and maybe add 1 tsp olive or sesame oil to the top for a little more flavor/to make it feel more like a "real" meal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Stir fry - all you need is a pan, a little oil, a protien and a lot of veggies. Serve with instant rice, or without.

The possibly combinations are nearly endless.