Question - The MFP Fitness Tracker

Options
Hello,

I have seen afew posts recently where people have said that the tracker/calculator for physical activity is way out. Some say it is that far out that you should half what you get.

MFP staff - Is this true, and IF it is true can something not be done to make it more accurate?

What are other people's opinions? Is it really that innacurate?

Replies

• StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    Nothing?

So what does anyone recommend? All I can think of halving my time spent so a sixty minute walk is inputted as a 30 minute walk.
  • StevenH74
    Options
    I don't want to spam my own posts but how do I know if the exercise tracker is correct or not?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't want to spam my own posts but how do I know if the exercise tracker is correct or not?

There is no exact answer. It really depends.
    Things like walking and running are fairly well established formulas and will be pretty accurate if you use the correct time, speed and weight.
    For other things that are less specific, like the ellipitcal entry or aerobics, it is much harder to estimate.

This is a good post on the topic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041

Lots of people have had success following MFP's calories. Others haven't.

I do tend to err on the side of caution. I don't think you necessarily need to cut it in half, but you could even go 75%.
  • StevenH74
    Options
    Thank you. I will go 75% in future.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I use a Fitbit (or HRM). They are far more accurate.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will go 75% in future.

The only way to tell is to monitor your apparent deficit against actual weight loss. If you are (say) 500 cals in calculated deficit per day and not losing weight, then you need to adjust accordingly.

And vice versa of course.

Everyone is different so there is no definite answer.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    before I went to the TDEE method I ate back all my exercise calories and it did not impede my weight loss.

That is my own personal experience...

Typically tho the suggestion is to eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

MFP cannot do anything to make them accurate as it is a mathmatical calculation based on "averages"

For example when I do a fitnessblender workout it gives me a "calorie range"...because those burns are based on height, weight, and sex etc.
  • shilpaca
    shilpaca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would get a Heart rate monitor as that will give you the exact calories burnt
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Not quite true. They track an accurate heart rate, but the calculation of calories burned is still not *completely* accurate.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't use it, but understand that any device you use will be an estimation, not an exact number.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Not quite true. They track an accurate heart rate, but the calculation of calories burned is still not *completely* accurate.

True, but it is the most accurate way to track. There is no perfect way to track calories burned, a HRM with chest strap is pretty damn close though.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I use a Fitbit (or HRM). They are far more accurate.

This!! I use fitbit. keeps me on track.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    They are all estimates. Just be consistent in your use of the estimates, measure results and adjust accordingly.
    Tighten the measurements where possible, for example duration of exercise and weight of food.
  • Myveganwellies
    Myveganwellies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use RUNTASTIC app for running and walking, which can be synced to MFP and I also use an app called SWORKIT, again this can be syned to MFP too! Both take into account your age height and weight and once tracked they sync over to MFP automatically (provided all apps are on your phone/tablet)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    When I compare it to my Omron pedometer, the walking on the indoor track MFP is right on target. For the stationary bike, I use what the bike says since it takes into consideration the exact levels, heart rate, etc. If I walk outside, I use MapMyWalkl. It usually comes in a little higher than MFP but that is because it also takes into consideration "climb."