very very fussy eater help!

ejkibble88
ejkibble88 Posts: 5 Member
Hi all.
I'm a very fussy eater. I only eat plain pasta, no sauces at all. I dont eat soup. I tend to live off very plain foods and crisps etc. I am also unable to eat cheese as it makes me ill.
Please help

many thanks ej

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I cut out an article years ago, that said you should try a new food at least 12 times before you can truly determine if you don't like it.

Do you enjoy cooking? I myself didn't like most pasta until I started cooking for myself. Whereas my mom uses a lot of canned products, I started making a lot of my foods from scratch, and adding or leaving out what I didn't care for.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Hi all.
    I'm a very fussy eater. I only eat plain pasta, no sauces at all. I dont eat soup. I tend to live off very plain foods and crisps etc. I am also unable to eat cheese as it makes me ill.
    Please help

many thanks ej
    A lot of it is a mindset. I'm a Vegan so cheese doesn't even come on my radar so don't understand the obsession personally. No one can force you to eat things but to get all your nutrients its good to have a wide range of foods. What sort of help do you want? All people can really say is for you to eat other things and try them more than once. Is this a hangover from childhood. My wife used to hate certain food because her mother used to kill them when cooking. She wouldn't even look at a mushroom. Now after all these years living with me she actually wants things with mushrooms in.

Try things push the boundaries. you cant dislike all sauces unless you have tasted every sauce in existence. Google is your friend find an ingredient you like google some recipes using it that contain things you wouldn't normally eat and try them. The thing is though you need to go with an open mind if you start on the premise 'I don't like this I'm going to hate it' you will. Give it a chance and more than one tasting. I dislike Peanut butter (I know that's Blasphemy on MFP) but I do and always have. However I buy it because my dogs have it in treats I make for them. The other day though I tasted some on my finger and thought 'Thats not so bad'. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it obviously though my tastes have changed.

You just need to be open to change

Good luck
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    I'm somewhat of a fussy eater also. I used to hate potato, still do, but I came to love roast potatoes years ago if cooked the way I like. I'll have a jacket potato if it has heaps of toppings on. You can try things like that- find a vegetable you hate, and eat it together with something you love in one bite- it will taste better and you may come to like it. It's like with music- you have to listen to a song a couple of times to like it, same with food, keep trying the ones you hate.

There are many sauces to try, you probably do like one just haven't found it yet, so just keep trying them. Have you tried putting herbs on things? They can give more flavour and you don't need much.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    I used to be the fussiest eater on the planet. I don't know what happened but it just went away

I also only ate dry pasta and plain food. No sauce, my foods couldn't even touch on the plate, i'd often have my foods on different plates. i lived off plain chicken breast and basmati rice.

Then when i got into a long distance relationship and visited my partner at his parents house i would have to eat whatever they cooked for me. Lasagna was my worst nightmare but after being served it 5 times i no longer had to force it down, instead i cleaned my plate and enjoyed it. Basically the point of my story is i agree that it is all mindset and habits. If you are forced to break the habit you'll end up enjoying food a lot more. I eat anything and everything now, i'll try anything once. and if you don't like something, what's the worst that could happen?
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    I don't like soup and I'm not a big fan of cheese either, but there are still lots of things I enjoy eating! I consider myself a picky eater, but I'm working to get past that by trying new things.

Since you like plain pasta, have you also tried rice, couscous, or quinoa? Eating some of these might be a good way for you to branch out and try new things without them being super intimidating. They're pretty similar to pasta.

It's important to not judge a food by how it looks or the fact that you hated it as a child. You're an adult now and believe it or not, your tastes have matured! As a kid I could live off of popsicles, now I don't care for them. I've also learned to like mushrooms, steak, and other things I disliked as a kid. You can do it! Keep trying new things!
  • ejkibble88
    ejkibble88 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you for your post. I really appreciate your comment
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    You should just go on a big shopping trip and pick up one of everything (or most things) , look up simple recipes on the internet until you find something that looks semi appealing. Try it. rinse + repeat :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi all.
    Please help

many thanks ej

help with what? just eat the things you do like, hit your macros and calorie goal and you'll lose weight...
  • LovelyLisa1000
    LovelyLisa1000 Posts: 10 Member
    My teenage son has been an extremely picky eater living off of pasta and butter. Now that he is older and wants to get in good shape, he is trying new foods and is actually enjoying them because they are healthy. Last night I made stewed chicken and rice and mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. He still won't let the foods touch but he actually tried all of it and enjoyed it. I left the gravy off of the chicken, and he really loved the brown rice.