eating before and after workouts?

Options
i have heard that it's best to eat before a work out, and i have heard that it's best to eat after a work out. does anyone know the correct answer? and what are the best foods to eat?

Replies

• bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert. However, I believe I have heard that it is good to eat a complex carb prior to working out (oatmeal) and then a lean protein afterwards.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I always do both! I eat something with carbs before and protein afterwards! Carbs for energy and protein for muscle repair. .
  • Vikki_Jane
    Options
    I agree with Kerri I do both but I allow at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before exercising as I tend to get a stitch if i exercise too soon.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The moral of that story is that either works :).

Personally, I only eat before workouts if I feel like I haven't eaten in a while and need some more energy. Otherwise, if I have a meal before I workout, I get indigestion when I workout. Also, I feel like my metabolism is highest right after I work out, so anything I eat afterward get burned easier.

But try it both ways, and see which works best for you.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I really think there is no right answer. I don't eat before working out. It upsets my stomach, but I know some people who need a little something prior.

If i'm doing something really intense like running 1/2 marathon, i'll have a luna bar prior, but otherwise a cup of coffee does it for me.

And I'll have some protien afterwards like eggs or greek yogurt for muscle repair.
  • itsforgood
    Options
    I eat light carbs before and protein after. I try to stay away from bars if I can. I eat fruit and something like oatmeal or a yogurt before and then protein and veggies for a bigger meal after. I'm hungrier after I exercise and I find my metabolism fires better then too.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree - before (I usually have a fibre one bar, etc) to give me fuel for the work out, but nothing too much as I can't work out on an empty stomache. I then eat my meal after because I am usually very hungry...also, when I eat after I tend to really watch my calories as I know how much effort it just took to burn them off!!!
  • TheLastKeeper
    TheLastKeeper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'll generally have my coffee and a glass or two of water before I workout, then after I've cooled down and showered I have my breakfast. I find I eat less afterwards.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I was just talking about this with my office mate. I am starting a kickboxing cardio class tonight after work, about 45 minutes after, and didnt want to risk eating anything heavy ( i get an upset tummy easy), but didnt know if my body would NEED the fuel. I thought maybe i could throw a cheese stick in my bag for afterwards, and then just plan on making my dinner full of proteins!? Sounds like everyone has thier own style, guess i just need to find mine :)
  • bridgetlbarringer
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Great question.......great answers. I so fall more in love with MFP more and more daily lol.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I hear that it will hurt you to not eat before a work out (more so before than after) because your body will almost go into a 'starvation' mode and not burn as much. I hate eating before a workout, but I usually try to eat a piece of fruit or a few fiber crackers and string cheese, or something to push my metabolism up while I'm working out. I think you can check out any health magazine for verification of this, as I've seen it written several times already.

Good luck girl - I'm here for you :)