The Razor's Edge and Not Losing Weight

Options
MFP suggests I need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. I know this is the starvation limit and it won't go lower than that. It suggests my BMR is ~1300 and other websites I calculate put it at that as well. I tried this diet for about a month and didn't lose a single pound. My measurements also did not change so it wasn't like it was converting to muscle.

I was eating back my calories from exercise and working out ~ 3 x a week. My workout consisted of interval running for a mile then I walk at a speed high enough to keep me panting for a mile with weights to tone my arms. I lift barbel weights and do things like situps and push ups before and after running. I'm a moderate persistent asthmatic and the running is extremely challenging. In the last week I've increased working out to 5 x a week and my running portion is now c25k. I'm not very far along yet obviously but I'll be doing each phase twice as long due to being asthmatic.

I did change my eating habits. I had been eating out a lot because I work and am a student so I have very little time to cook. That hasn't been the case in over a month now. I've taken to making smoothies out of primarily almond milk (lactose intolerant), tofu, spinach and whey isolate (usually half a scoop just to boost my protein intake) for my on-the-go, no-time-to-cook meals (sometimes I throw in a fruit or other veggie to mix things up) and things like baked chicken breasts or salmon filets and a veggie for my other meals. I aim for about 100 oz of water a day since I know I have to drink more because of the protein shake mix.

I'm thinking of shaving off another 200 calories to my diet and/or not eating back my exercise calories. The diet alone is clearly not working. I know many of you would not recommend this but I've read and read and read and I am not sure what else to do to lose weight. The last time I lost any amount of weight it was on a very low carb diet but I inevitably gained those pounds back because I can't maintain that type of diet; it's just not realistic for my lifestyle. I figure I can try it for a few weeks and if I start 2 or less pounds a week and I don't start feeling tired or faint/dizzy I should be alright.

But I also thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any tips I haven't heard before. I will say I probably have a very slow metabolism. It's honestly gained. Every last person in my immediate family and some in my extended is an overweight type 2 diabetic. My genetics are against me.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit. Log everything as accurately as possible, be honest with yourself, have patience, and you should start to see some changes.
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can have a look is always a good start..

Are you logging everything accurately?
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you currently weigh? Also are you logging your intake? 'eating healthy' does not equal a calorie deficit. You need to ensure that you are weighing solids and measuring liquids. Netting 1200 (or less) is way too low especially for your level of activity. If you open your diary you may get more help as well.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The diet alone is clearly not working. I know many of you would not recommend this but I've read and read and read and I am not sure what else to do to lose weight.

Basic laws of physics say that if you are not losing weight, then you are eating too many calories.

You are either underestimating your calories eaten, overestimating you calories burned, or both.

Don't worry too much about the 1200 limit - it is completely arbitary depending on your height, physique, sex, etc.

Think of this as a long term lifestlye change, rather than a "diet". Be patient, be accurate, be honest and it will work - it works for everyone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP only gives 1200 when it is appropriate based on stats or if the user has entered to high of a weekly weight loss goal.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

As for losing you have to be in a deficit and if you don't log consistently and accurately you don't know if you are in a deficit.

Logging accurately means knowing portion sizes (usually by weight) and choosing the correct entries.
  • technospice
    technospice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am logging everything honestly and as accurately as possible. I'm glad you guys jumped to the conclusion I'm lying. That sure boosts my confidence in your advice. My log is riddled with the occasional taco or McDonalds burger or mini ice cream sandwich but I don't go over cals very often. I am more likely to be under.

I have 15-20 lbs to lose. I've played with the settings. Whether I enter a half pound a week or 2 lbs a week it still says 1200 calories.

I am 32, 5'5" and 165 lbs. I don't look it (165 lbs) but I am. I'd like to get down to 150 as my first goal and if I can achieve that in under 6 months I'd like to try for 140.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am logging everything honestly and as accurately as possible. I'm glad you guys jumped to the conclusion I'm lying. That sure boosts my confidence in your advice. My log is riddled with the occasional taco or McDonalds burger or mini ice cream sandwich but I don't go over cals very often. I am more likely to be under.

I have 15-20 lbs to lose. I've played with the settings. Whether I enter a half pound a week or 2 lbs a week it still says 1200 calories.

I am 32, 5'5" and 165 lbs. I don't look it (165 lbs) but I am. I'd like to get down to 150 as my first goal and if I can achieve that in under 6 months I'd like to try for 140.

No one said you were lying. The "be honest" means be honest with your logging because it's very easy to eat more than you think you are.

As for the settings, you can create your own custom goals if you want to eat more than 1200.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough to balance your exercising. You must give your body enough energy to fuel your workouts. Set your weekly weight loss goal to 1 lb. and eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi. Join me and give up fretting about weight loss and follow the guidelines of Eat To Live. It works. I just had a baby and am following his 6 week reboot plan to shave off the excess weight faster than I did last time.

The guidelines are:

Fruits for breakfast (3-4 fruits)
    Enormous salad for lunch topped with your choice of 1 cup beans or other plant protein
    Salad for dinner with cooked veggie sides, and a fresh or frozen fruit for dessert.

Generally aim for 1 pound raw veggies a day (unlimited greens and non-starchy veggies), and 1 pound cooked veggies, 1 cup beans, up to 1 cup starchy food, 4-5 fruits, 1 ounce raw nuts/seeds, 2 ounces avocado, 2 TBSP dried fruit allowed, and depending on how fast you want to see changes, you can have up to 100 calories a day of something with little nutritional value (slice of bread, small cookie...etc). Think fresh foods, no animal products or dairy, minimal or no oils, minimal or no salt. Look up Dr. Furhman's plan though, don't quote me!
  • genas1975
    genas1975 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel the same....I am exercising twice a day, 1/2 hour weights at lunch and either stair climber or a run after work. I am also on the 1200 calorie. Trying to eat lots of veggies and chicken. Still not moving on the scales. Weekends I do have wine, I have cut this out during the week, but try to eat healthy on the weekends. Very fustrated with my results.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

No one said you were lying. The "be honest" means be honest with your logging because it's very easy to eat more than you think you are.

As for the settings, you can create your own custom goals if you want to eat more than 1200.
    this
    many people are eating more than they think regardless of the fact that they think they are logging accurately. dont play the victim card, the people here are trying to help.

as for your problem, there is a likelihood that you are over estimating the amount of calories burned during your workouts and this is offsetting your deficit. try eating only half of those calories back for awhile
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Interesting response...and with that I am out.

No one gets paid to help others and when attitudes like this are shown when offers of help are given then it's like a slap in the face to those trying to help.

Perhaps the next time you want help don't "interpret" what you want out of text...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

That is not what people mean when they say you are not being accurate. Your diary can be inaccurate by eyeballing portions, using measuring cups/spoons to measure solids, using generic food entries, missing items, etc.

Good luck with your journey.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I wonder why MFP is doing that. I'm 30, 5'4" and 162 and to lose 1 pound a week MFP gives me 1300 calories before any exercise.