Yogurt woes.....

Options
I have been eating Yopait Light and loving it. Much to my dismay, one 6 ounce serving has more that HALF of the sugar I am allowed for the day. I just started tracking my sugar. Until today, I did not realize that even though I usually end the day with carbs to spare, I am going over in sugar EVERY DAY! I thought that since Yoplait light is sweetened artificially, I was ok. Now I know that it also has high fructose corn syrup. All the research I have done says to eat plain nonfat yogurt with unsweetend fruit added. Well, that sounds just AWFUL! Which brand of yogurt do you use? I just don't know if I am willing to give up my Yoplait light. I think maybe it is the only thing that keeps me from polishing off a cake now and then. Argh! Thoughts?

Replies

• ahbach2005
    Options
    Chobani greek yogurt is good but I dont know how much sugar you can have. It tasted different than regular yogurt
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am in the same dilemma. Plain yogurt is nasty tasting to me even with fresh fruit! Any suggestions would be great.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    yeah, being diabetic, I need to watch my sugar. I love yogurt... but wow the sugar!!!

I cannot believe no one makes a sugar free or splenda type yogurt that is widely avail.

Sugar free jello just isnt the same....
  • tweetyktg
    tweetyktg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I discovered Chobani Greek yogurt over Christmas vacation and it much lower in sugar ( a 6 oz serving has 13 grams of sugar) and it has 16 grams of PROTEIN!!!! I buy the plain one and add some blueberries and splenda. It is delicious! Good luck!
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Try adding your own fruit? I used to take some frozen strawberries (2), put it in the microwave long enough to just thaw it out and get the juices going and then put it into my plain fat free yogurt.

Real fruit is always better for you than processed garbage.
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have been eating greek yogurt....All natural brown cow greek yogurt. I switche to that after getting terrible headaches from the aspartame in the lite yogurt I was eating.....The blueberry is not bad (only one I have tried so far)....good luck!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    yeah, being diabetic, I need to watch my sugar. I love yogurt... but wow the sugar!!!

I cannot believe no one makes a sugar free or splenda type yogurt that is widely avail.

Sugar free jello just isnt the same....

My sentiments EXACTLY!
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I consume 8 to 10 ounces of yogurt daily. I am a fan of Fage 0% nonfat plain yogurt. Yes, I agree that the nonfat plain flavor is an acquired taste but if you think about it, it's an empty canvas for you to customize. :)

I eat mine with trail mix mixed in (mostly nuts and dried fruits), fresh fruits or honey graham crackers (1 sheet per 4 ozs. of yogurt).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of greek yogurt running around here. It has more protein. I tried it and personally I liked the texture more. It's thicker and creamier. (But I tried Oikos Organic Chocolate and it had 17g of organic sugar. Organic sugar is about 50% less processed and it is unrefined but is still sugar - taste was just ok).

Amazing, isn't it. They call it "Light" but the only thing that makes it light is no fat. So they add sugar to make up for the lack of fat. It's sick. I don't buy much yogurt just because of the sugar content.

Good Luck!
  • marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt and add agave nectar. much tastier than regular yogurt and the agave nectar goes a long way so you only need a tiny bit
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Well, Danon Light & Fit has 11g of sugar per serving. All the flavors I've had (virtually all of them) are delicious...It's only about a 3g difference in sugar, but that can make quite the difference
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Yeah I found that same problem with that yogurt too. I have switched to Greek yogurt recently but the texture is very different. I did a little trial n error when finding one I liked. ALSO fiber one has some yogurts...they usually come in a 4 pack (vanilla, peach or key lime) and I believe that they have 5 grams of sugar but are only 2-4 ounces I believe. I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners as much as possible-so I switched to greek. I hope this helps!!
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i just stayed with my yoplait...i took comfort in the fact that a banana has about the same calorie and sugar content...i know there will be the argument that it is a different kind of sugar but i don't care (i hope that doesn't sound as harsh as i think it does...lol...)

dannon has good yogurt with about 20 less calories too.
  • healthyjen342
    Options
    Also...Maybe you could get the plain non-fat yougurt, and add an extract of choice..like vanilla extract..
  • healthyjen342
    Options
    Also...Maybe you could get the plain non-fat yougurt, and add an extract of choice..like vanilla extract..Hope this helps!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP, 14 G OF SUGAR???

You didn't post the sugar content so before recommending mine (Silhouette only 35 cals per container/100g 3g sugar) I wanted to see how much you considered ALOT and I see its 14g for your kind, BRUTAL!!

Go Danon Silhouette 0+! 650g tubs on sale $1.67 at Walmart for my fellow Canadians.
  • itsforgood
    Options
    OK, here's what I do. I go for organic when I can, brown cow and greek yogurts are thicker and more satisfying and I am a convert for plain yogurt. It's GROSS by itself so here's what I do:
    add a little alcohol free vanilla extract; add Truvia (it's Stevia, but without the bitter aftertaste and it's NOT artificial, nor is it sugar), then I add berries or a banana. Banana's are high in sugar so I use 1/2.
    Hope that helps.
    Also, try GSM Chromium Picolinate, it's an inexpensive supplement that can be used to help lower your glycemic index. It's an amino acid (a small chain, so it's easily absorbed). Can get it anywhere and it's great stuff. Stops sugar cravings without making you antsy.
  • Evermyre
    Options
    I agree that plain non-fat yogurt is disgusting! I just can't handle it. So I make fruit soup to put in my yogurt. It has way less sugar and really you can control just how much sugar you want to put in there. You can find my fruit soup recipe in the recipe message boards.
  • peabody18
    Options
    Hi! I am addicted to The Greek Gods traditional Greek Yogurt, Honey flavored. It is in the food database. I do not know how much sugar anyone should eat, but this product has cane sugar and honey, no corn syrup, with 15g sugars in a 4 oz serving. It's delicious. I usually eat 2 oz with fruit every morning.
    One bad thing about artificially flavored foods, gums and candy: sorbitol. It can cause irritable bowel syndrome. My DH knows that from experience. For years he wondered why he was having such digestive problems. I finally found out about sorbitol, and he is getting much better now. He had to quit his gum and go with Zellies gum and mints, which are flavored with xylitol, a sweetener made from birch tree bark and other plants. It also improves your dental health.
    Saccharine is bad too.
    So I do not know how much sugar you should restrict yourself to, but you may want to try a Greek yogurt. Look on the labels and you may be impressed. Even the plain Greek Yogurt tastes delicious.
    Good luck, and hopefully you will have happy taste buds as well as good health.
  • peabody18
    Options
    Ooops, sorry, the Yoplait lite has as much sugar as the yogurt I recommended! Really, try a plain Greek yogurt. People are saying they are icky, and the lowfat regular brand ones are, but the Greek plain is yummy. Just add a little fruit. 5g sugar to a 4 oz serving.
    It's shocking how much sugar the regular fatf ree Yoplait has in it! 26 g.