Forgot my lunch!

Options
I packed a nutritious, protein-filled, 500-calorie lunch for work today... and I left it sitting on my kitchen counter! Uggghhhh

Soooo I'll have to grab something. There are tons of chains around the office, and they all have their calorie counts online, but often the calorie counts online differ from the ones on the menu and such, and it makes me super nervous!!

Anyone have suggestions for a quick, filling, 500-ish (400-600) calorie lunch I can buy? Here are some of the places near me:

Potbelly
Au Bon Pan
Cosi
Pret a Manger
Sushi place
Subway

But there is a ton of stuff around here. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• shellya30
    shellya30 Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you have any specifics on a carb number or just going for high protein? I am the google queen and we can solve this problem LOL
  • Berkables
    Berkables Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't have specifics on anything, really. I'm fairly new to calorie counting and am focusing on keeping the number down, regardless of things like sodium and carbs, which I will worry about once I have the hang of this. I just know that high protein is essential to keep me sated. Thanks for your help!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Mmm I would totally opt for sushi especially if their calorie counts are online
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sashimi from the sushi restaurant.
  • shellya30
    shellya30 Posts: 21
    Options
    Au Bon Pain - The chicken cobb salad with Avocado - 410 Cals, 13 carb, 33 protein - This is a great option just don't forget to add your cals etc from any dressing and if you add anything extra to the salad.
    Potbelly - This is a naughty place on my list. Oh so good, but oh so bad LOL
    Cosi - I have never eaten here but everything had a VERY high carb and sodium number. Even the salads!
    Pret - I couldn't find the nutrition info :(
    Subway - Unless your getting a salad I would say they are out, but that's just me
    Sushi Place - I love sushi. Just have to watch the add ins and the carbs from the rice.

Overall, I would go with Au Bon Pain if it was me :) I use a low carb high protein diet so its just my preference. I hope I could be of some assistance.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Avoid Pret! Very delicious, I know, but not in a calorie conscious way.

I'd go for the Subway salad, personally, but that's because I love the jalapeno, olives and pickle combo they've got going.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Subway's Double Chicken Chopped Salad is one of my most favorite things ever. I go out for that at least once a week. With Italian Dressing, a bag of Salt-and-Vinegar Chips and iced tea to drink it usually runs me around 550 calories. 29 carbs, 30 fats, 42 protein grams. I know I'd save calories and fats if I went for the Baked Lays instead of the Salt-and-Vinegar chips, but I love them.

I really enjoy it.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Sashimi from the sushi restaurant.

I vote this.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I do that at least once or twice a month (I have a little one that often times doesn't sleep at night, so I get foggy brain in the morning).... I typically will go to a grocery store where there is a salad/food bar, and then get some fresh fruit or a yogurt for later in the afternoon.
  • nini6900
    nini6900 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Potbelly has the Skinny TKY sandwich on wheat (300 calories) and a cup of their vegetable soup (100 calories) and its very fulfilling and satisfying. I would do that :-) hope this helps!
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    PotBelly Salads are not too bad calorie wise and they are awesome!

Grilled Chicken Salad

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Salad

Amount Per Serving

Calories 363
    Calories from Fat 86

% Daily Value*

Total Fat15 %10g

Saturated Fat33 %7g

Trans Fat--0g

Cholesterol36 %107mg

Sodium65 %1552mg

Total Carbohydrate9 %27g

Dietary Fiber30 %8g

Sugars--10g

Protein--38g

Vitamin A135 %120 %Vitamin C

Calcium10 %23 %Iron

Declared Allergens*

*Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Subway Double Chicken Chopped Salad
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    mmm I'm not too familiar with all the places on the list, but when I forget my lunch I usually find myself at Au Bon Pain. I get the veggie salad with avocado - it has chickpeas, greek olives, cheese, roasted peppers, veggies + avocado + balsamic dressing. I get the seeded wheat bread on the side also. Fills me up for sure. I highly recommend this salad, but I'm sure they have other good ones too!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Subway.

Its my go to because:

a) Multiple good options for anyone's palette
    b) quick.
    c) Most upfront company I've ever seen regarding nutritional info.

My go to? Footlong oven roasted chicken on wheat with lettuce tomato cucumber and a slight drip of itlaian. 335 per 6" I can choose to eat all of it or half, depending on mood & what I calorically want to accomplish for the day.

Fsunami
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I've got Subway and Taco Bell nearby so I'd either get a turkey sub or a couple fresco tacos.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd either get some sushi or a subway 6" ham/turkey with veggies (1/2 cheese, no mayo)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I would probably opt for the sushi place and get a squid salad and small roll - either veggie or fish but with no fried tempura or cream cheesy stuff in it.
  • Berkables
    Berkables Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks, guys! These are awesome suggestions!!!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    subway- eat fresh

turkey on wheat with ALL THE VEGGIES and yellow mustard