Cold weather running

Options
I need some advice from all the runners who live in cold (read: crappy) climates 'round this time of year. I've been trying to build up a sweet collection of running spandex but the good thermal stuff is hard to come by and eats up a paycheck.

I typically run outside two evenings per week and one day on the weekend. Weekday - 4-6 miles, weekend - 9+ miles. I really hate running on the treadmill for anything more than 4 miles. So dull. I'm whiny.

Anyway, what sorts of cold weather gear do you all recommend? I've been using a combination of base layer spandex + fitted yoga pants for bottom and base layer Nike thermal wear + zippered fleece outer layer for top. That seems to be okay but sometimes doesn't hack it if the weather is below 30 degrees.

Has anyone found any good deals on thermal type spandex? All I seem to find around here is the base layer stuff which is so-so.

Replies

• valentine72
    Options
    I LOVE running in the cold I'm from Pa. I use Adidias climate control running pants. As for upper I use Under Armor climate control.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I ditched the thermal layer and wear a pair of Brooks running tights under a pair of fleece lined wind pants for the bottom. Top I wear a Nike pro thermal top, fleece vest, and depending on the conditions, either my North Face Apex, or a pullover windbreaker.

This is plenty warm for me and lately it's been single digits for the high-temp during the day on my runs.

Way to keep going through the winter!! People think we've got a screw loose, but it's my favorite time to run - though I prefer it to be above 10 if possible.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm in PA - so not SUPER-cold (like Minny or upstate NY), but I have been able to do runs ~20degrees with:

Legs: Under-armour full-leg cold gear & shorts (I don't like clothing hitting my shoes/ankles - but your yoga pants should work for you)
    Upper-body: Nike thermal for my torso (or Under-Armour) and HIND micro-fleece.

I really REALLY recommend the HIND stuff - it's light weight, but warm. And If it's windy, I'll add a hat to keep the body-heat in, but that really does it. Then again I'm always warm so welcome the occasional "cold air rush".
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Under Armour long sleeve top and bottom.
    Nike running pants and nike half zip over the top
    Windstopper vest
    Sugoi Neck Warmer (the best piece I have)
    Despite my worries, if anything I have been overheated and taking stuff off everytime I run ... but never cold!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Costco has some good deals on yoga pants, base layers (uhigh performance underwear), cool max shirts, and top layers.... (their stocks varies widely though). At this time of year, you might get the last of the winter stuff and the start of the spring stuff.

I used to run, and am just getting back into it. I live in Alberta (which is COLD!) I found my best investment for those chilly days was a spandex bellaclava that covered my head, ears, neck and chin. when it was REALLY cold (-30), I could breathe through the fabric to warm the air abit before in entered my lungs!

Good thread, I look forward to hear what others have to say!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Definitely under armour cold gear.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I didn't think of Costco / Sam's Club, but may have to stop there and see what they have.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My typical layering.
    long sleeve dry fit t-shirt
    Costco brand base layer
    Cheapo long sleeve moisture wicking shirt
    Saucony wind breaker

Running tights
    Reebok running pants

The wind breaker is KEY. I could probably go down to 0 F in this get up, as long as I covered my face/hands etc.

Also smart wool makes an INCREDIBLE running sock. My feet stay toasty warm, and dry, the wicking capabilities of that sock are insane.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of a pansy and if it is sunny and 25 I will consider running outside here in Maine. I have found my nike dry fit pants work well, with an UA long sleeve top and vest. The key for me are my UA running gloves. Make a huge difference.