Best Half-Marathon Training App?

Options
Pritree
Pritree Posts: 24 Member
Hi!

I just signed up for a half-marathon at the end of September. I'm a beginner and not the best runner, but I am determined to do this. Any tips on a good training app? I've heard of Hal Higdon and Couch to Half Marathon, but I don't really know anything about them.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just signed up for a half-marathon at the end of September. I'm a beginner and not the best runner, but I am determined to do this. Any tips on a good training app? I've heard of Hal Higdon and Couch to Half Marathon, but I don't really know anything about them.

Any thoughts?

The Hal Higdon is good. Pretty much any of those plans will get you to where you need to be. Check them all out, and pick one that you feel is best up to your abilities.

Some of them start out at a 3 mile run so that may limit what plans you can start with.

We pretty much just make sure we stick to the long run of the week and one of the shorter ones earlier in the week. Most of those tell you waht to do every day, which is good if you havent done one before.

But it can look daunting, as it is. At the bare minumum make sure you get the long run each week as it increases you up a mile/week usually and get a couple of other runs in as well in between. The first one we did we changed it a bit and maxed out at 15 miles just so we knew we could do the 13.1 comfortably.

Experience in training is HUGE for these events, and you dont get that until you actually do one. Follow one of those plans and GOODLUCK!
  • Pritree
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! You are right -most important is that I stick with whatever training program I choose =)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! You are right -most important is that I stick with whatever training program I choose =)
    You are welcome.
    You look extremely fit so you should be able to hit the road running, pun intended.
    Seek out some local gyms/run groups.. It helps on those long runs. Locally our gym is fantastic. They do the c25k that I help sometimes. Also an extended version of it for 10k and just started the free training for full marathon this fall and soon will start for the half marathon.

So much better, and more motivating, to go on those long runs with someone. Plus..those times when you want to blow it off you knkow your buddies will be there so you get your butt off the chair and go.

Goodluck.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I used a couple plans on the RunKeeper app that worked out well for me.

http://runkeeper.com/search/fitness-classes/running/half-marathon-plans
  • Pritree
    Options
    Yes - I'm moving to a new city soon so I will probably join a running club and a new gym - hopefully they will help keep me on track. I downloaded 5k runmeter for now because it syncs with MFP and has options to increase to half marathon - I'll see how the baby steps go =)

Thanks, again!