slim fast?

Options
i went shoppinf the other day in the sales and came back with slim fast shakes and some fat merabiliser tablets beacuase as soon as i walked into the clothes shop i thought EVERYONE was looking at me thinking 'shes to fat to ware that!' so i had to walk out within 2 mins. ANYWAY... does anyone think slim fast works? thank you

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It will work temporarily. Then what?

I believe it is better to teach yourself how to eat, what to eat, how often, etc etc etc.
    Because one cannot live on a liquid diet for long.
    Food is not going anywhere, so I need to learn to live with it!:flowerforyou:
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    No, no, no, no!!! Products are never the answer as a good diet and exercise regiment are the best way to lose weight. You do things like this, basically starving your body. It is not good. Then when you go back to your normal eating you will gain all the weight back plus some. The most positive results come from as I said before diet and exercise. So start logging those calories and getting those workouts in. Tony Horton (the inventor of P90X) has a line he always says-Do your best and forget the rest. Who cares what those people think-you can do this, but please, please do it the right way or you will never get the results you want or need!!
  • carriesinc
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs years ago on it,but unless you want to stay on it forever, then you will gain it back. If its a kick start, then its perfect. If you need to lose it while learning to eat properly it will work, but i strongly suggest once you are close to your goal weight to start to subsidize with food of the same calories. Using the tools here will help, I really like this website and its tools.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I dont feel it works as it has so much sugar in it plus it does not fill you up which means you are prone to eating more later on and going over in calories. I think it is great if you are in a hurry and just need to grab something. I am currently drinking the 12 pack that i bought on a whim over a week ago but after reading more into it i dont think it is a great idea as you are not learning to control your eating by supplemting healthy food choices.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree with not being dependent on stuff like this, but I do keep a few at work for when I have a hungry day and I want to eat everything.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I used to work in retail, and once you have cleaned up a leaking can of Slim Fast, Optifast, Ensure and any of the other weight loss or nutritional drinks, you would never put that in your body. Time after time we would get packages in that were banged up during shipping and cans/bottles would leak. Many got put on shelves and they would leak inside the box and all over the shelves. Once it dried it was horrible. IF you got the box off the shelf, it stank worse than rotten milk. Once you got the box off the shelf you had a thick goo that you had to scrape off because it wouldn't wash off, even with Fantastic or Windex. When you did get it off, it took the paint off the shelf with it. Anything that takes paint off a metal shelf IS NOT going in my body.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think SlimFast works as a quick-fix, but one definitely can't and shouldn't solely use it when trying to lose weight. You'll start craving ACTUAL food instead of just liquids, and might even end up overeating because you'll be denying yourself' real food the whole time you're on a Slimfast diet.

Don't get me wrong, Slimfast products are great if you're running late, or don't have time to make something amidst a hectic schedule. But weightloss, and healthy eating, are part of a lifestyle, and you should not a rely on quick-fix methods to achieve your goals.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I've used it and lost weight, never kept it off. Agree that you should read all the ingredients of such things. A nice emergency meal, but I wouldn't recommend depending on it!
  • kazzymc
    Options
    I use slimfast have been on it since last april ive lost over 2 stone on it slowly as i dont follow it 100% i always have it for breakfast,,, sometimes for lunch as other times ill have cuppa soups then i try have a good healthy mealin the evening, i dont follow it at weekends as i like a drink n a takeaway , it works for me and keeps me motivated i know what i should be doing but cant seem to do it so slimfast gives me the help i need
  • sarahlouisah
    Options
    I have used slim fast a few times i use it to kick start a diet or if i have reached a plateau or when i dont have time to make lunch or dinner> i agree itseasy to regain the weight and you miss real food, so it is better to try and diet using real food to re-educate yourself using real food but then i still regained all the weight i lost so i think for thid diet i will use it as and when suits as i find the temptation to over eat to much
  • peaches_tsu_guard
    Options
    I have never been able to stick with the slim fast diet. I'm just so hungry all the time. I talked to a physical trainer to see what he did for breakfast to get the nutrients that I needed to curb my hunger for a little longer and we found out that I wasn't getting enough protein. So instead of a slim fast shake, I get a 1/2 cup of oatmeal made with a 1/2 cup of vanilla silk (just enough sweetness), one egg with one egg white scrambled and 1 slice of turkey bacon and I'm still around 300 cals. Then I have an apple and some low fat cheese for a snack at 10 but even if I skip the snack I'm not hungry till much closer to noon. On slimfast I was raiding the cookie jar by 9am.
  • lovechoc11
    Options
    I think Slim fast is great! It gets alot of bad press from people, but I say each to their own! If it works for you, then thats all that matters!

I am starting on it tomorrow!

For me it gives me the structure I need!

I only have one a day due to costs tho!

So I have healthy cereal for breakfast then shake for lunch or dinner, and a sensible meal. I have 3 snacks, fruit, healthy yougurt and a healthy ceral bar that i eat when I drink the shake so i still get to munch on somthing too!

I work shifts in a home where the only food available is what the residents eat, so this is great way for me to keep track!

I intend on doing it till i get to my goal weight, then my belly would of shrunk and hopefully get full quicker then! I would probably stll use them at work for convience too.

Do what makes you happy, if they dont work for you then fine! but they just might then that is all that matters!

Good luck!!xx
  • LizaJayne
    Options
    I lost 30+ pounds on it and kept if off for years. I had one for breakfast (because otherwise I don't eat breakfast so that was an improvement), and my largest sensible meal of the day midday (so there's time to work it off), then had one for dinner. I snacked on fruits and veggies throughout the day. I measured out all my alloted calories out at the beginning of the day and spread them out until 6 or 7 pm.

While I was doing that I did my nutrition research so I would learn to eat right and start my "behavior modification." That way when I reached my goal I was ready for the new me to know what to do to keep it off.

Sadly a few years ago I started eating all wrong. I went back to school and was doing a lot of stress eating. I was also doing a lot of commuting for classes and clinicals and eating fast food on the run. Now I have to get myself back where I belong.

Do your research and find what's best for you. I'm trying to stay away from it this time because it's pretty high in sugar and I'm prediabetic. Read labels and compare it to breakfast drinks and other options.

I do use the shakes and the bars for convenience to avoid fast food eating on the run.

Good luck!:happy:
  • LizaJayne
    Options
    MzBug -

That can be said about a lot of "real" food too. I'm wondering what baby formula does. That stuff is nasty! Poor babies.
  • kellystar2
    Options
    I am starting on Slim Fast 3*2*1. It is new to me but, I am going to give it a try. I just need to have something simple. I am on the run a lot with 2 preteen girls and a full time job. So this is something I can carry in my purse. I am though going to be sure to have a balanced meal with the family at dinner.
  • LizaJayne
    Options
    I recommend having food with the shake. Liquid just doesn't last long. I had a yogurt or granola bar (careful - read the labels on those to avoid excess fat/calories) with mine and didn't get hungry so fast.

Carrying SlimFast in your purse may not be your best option. The shakes need to be good and cold. The bars have chocolate that can melt. I even have a case for the bars and didn't find that to be all that helpful.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    I have a shake for breakfast because I don't have the time right now to make better stuff. Way better than grabbing a donut or something worse. I don't think personally I would be able to drink 2 and then have a small meal, especially for the rest of my life. I am sure it works for some people but there is a lot of things to factor in before you make the decision. I acutally am going back to making time at work for breakfast as soon as I finish this case off.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    MzBug -

That can be said about a lot of "real" food too. I'm wondering what baby formula does. That stuff is nasty! Poor babies.

Not trying to start anything but I certainly wouldn't say "poor babies". In the case of formula, it's a necessity for women like me who were not able to breast feed. Slim Fast is a poor alternative to diet and exercise.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used Slim Fast before my wedding and did lose about 15 lbs. I would do 2 shakes, and carry a BIG container of cut-up fruit with me evey day. That was it until dinner, and I would eat something reasonable, but wasn't super strict. There's no magic to the slim fast plan - it's just a different way of controlling the number of calories you consume - each shake contains around 200 calories.

But I do agree that it's not a long term plan - if you stop drinking the shakes and go back to old habits, then you will go back to your old weight.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've used them here and there when I don't have time for an actual meal, know I'll be in the car all day, or have a sweet tooth! It's great to have something handy but not something you should rely on for every day meals.