paleo

Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    And here we go with the nay-saying, ridiculing, etc......This is why we can't have nice things on these forums.

It's called using reason and logic to point out flaws in a fad diet. It's what we do here, and it's a good thing.

The idea that "everyone's diet is perfect for them" is feel-good nonsense spouted by people on their 45th fad diet.

Putting butter in your coffee will not help you lose weight. It's just a dumb idea put forth by a poorly thought out diet plan designed to sell gullible people useless products.

Keto isn't a fad for me and paleo isn't a fad for those doing it. Thanks for proving my point.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    The poster looks like a sweet gal and I don't want to say anything to hurt but why do people always RUN to the latest "thing" with regards to eating instead of just looking at the real problem, self control and portions and exercise?

There is no magic "diet" or combination. However, if you find something that works for you, keep doing it but you first have to DO it. You say you're two weeks in....stick with it, watch your numbers and move your body (and lift heavy weights - hee hee) adn you will see results.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    paleo schmaleo...
  • ValGogo
    Options
    [/quote] Putting butter in your coffee [/quote]

I'm sorry....what!!!???
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    If you plan on attempting to go paleo as a lifestyle - then go for it. It certainly won't hurt you, and a lot of people are very happy doing it.

If you are planning on "the paleo diet" where you think you can eat paleo to lose x pounds and then go back to whatever, then I strongly advise against it.

Whatever your plan for weight loss is, it should be sustainable, and it will be the direct result of a calorie deficit. The rest is up to you.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Putting butter in your coffee [/quote]

I'm sorry....what!!!???
    [/quote]

I put butter and coconut oil in my coffee. It keeps me full well into the day because of the fats. Taste pretty good too.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    The reason why people kind of mock paleo is because so many people say they are on a modified version of it,

Like "vegetarians" who eat fish and chicken. Oy, don't get me started.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Putting butter in your coffee

I'm sorry....what!!!???
    [/quote]

I put butter and coconut oil in my coffee. It keeps me full well into the day because of the fats. Taste pretty good too.
    [/quote]

How DARE you ruin coffee like that? You should be flogged with a wet spaghetti. Oh wait, that's pasta. :wink:

Actually, when I would eat a buttered roll, and I would dunk it in my coffee, I would love how the coffee mixed with the butter on the bread. Yum.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: the Paleo diet is based on junk science and absolutely ridiculous suppositions about our relationship to supposed ancestors, who have as much in common with us as we have with your average giraffe.

That said, eating primarily garbage-free protein, healthy vegetables, and the right fats won't kill you. I just get ticked about the cult like following of the diet. The truth is the Paleo diet won't hurt you, you will lose weight, but it isn't necessary. Especially if you are exercising a lot, which you should be.

This man speaks the truth.

He does, except for one thing that can be kind of a sticking point.

You can eat Paleo and not lose weight.

Yup, that's a fair point.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    And here we go with the nay-saying, ridiculing, etc......This is why we can't have nice things on these forums.

It's called using reason and logic to point out flaws in a fad diet. It's what we do here, and it's a good thing.

The idea that "everyone's diet is perfect for them" is feel-good nonsense spouted by people on their 45th fad diet.

Putting butter in your coffee will not help you lose weight. It's just a dumb idea put forth by a poorly thought out diet plan designed to sell gullible people useless products.

Keto isn't a fad for me and paleo isn't a fad for those doing it. Thanks for proving my point.

fad
    fad/Submit
    noun
    an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze

Considering that I had never heard of paleo until maybe 6 months ago, and also considering that there are a couple threads a day with random new people asking if they should eat paleo, and also considering that most people who follow it "do their own version" and spout about the success and how great it is when they aren't even doing it the way it was meant to be done... it is pretty much the definition of a fad. Sorry.

Run on sentence, whateva. Don't tread on me.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I tried a primal diet (paleo plus dairy) and i did lose weight because i didn't retain water but it was so frustrating going to the grocery store and being like...

ok, can't eat that, that or that... beans are legumes right? what is wrong with a bean? no clue, just know that i can't eat them.

I can't have chili corn salsa on my meat and veggie bowl? why? because it's corn, and corn is satan, and satan makes you fat and die.

What to eat.... ok well, i will make some kind of meat and saute vegetables AGAIN.

NO PEANUT BUTTER?!?!?!

that was my breaking point. nothing comes between me and my PB

You didn't lose weight soley because of your diet, you lost weight because you ate a a deficit.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Pssst. I hear he got promoted. He's a Major now.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The key words being "for those doing it." I don't know much about keto, but from what I've gleaned from other posts of yours on the subject, there is a threshold that one needs to be under in terms of carb intake in order to be keto. If someone on here was consuming carbs at three times that threshold, but was claiming to be keto because "it's lower carb than I used to eat," would it be nay-saying or ridiculing them to point out that no, that's not keto?

Same issue here. No one is bashing anyone for eating more veggies or choosing whole foods over pre-packaged foods, we're simply pointing out that cherry-picking portions of an eating style you like and ignoring the parts you don't like doesn't mean you are engaging in that lifestyle. In those cases, it is a fad, because it's not a lifestyle but a "sometimes" thing.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    NO PEANUT BUTTER?!?!?!

This is the thing I never understood about paleo.

Peanut butter (especially the natural kinds) is just ground up peanuts. So peanuts are acceptable in their original state, but do ANYTHING to them and suddenly they're evil.

mmk.

Grammar edit.

This is why I chose Keto instead of Paleo. I can't go without my PB... Jif Natural Honey Roasted. :P

Before I get slammed for choosing Keto, non-complex carbs (mainly breads, rice, pasta, etc...) make me feel like crap about an hour afterwards, as well as drained/tired. So, I try to limit my carb intake. It's been working too.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    NO PEANUT BUTTER?!?!?!

Peanut butter (especially the natural kinds) is just ground up peanuts. So peanuts are acceptable in their original state, but do ANYTHING to them and suddenly they're evil.

mmk.

Grammar edit.

This is why I chose Keto instead of Paleo. I can't go without my PB... Jif Natural Honey Roasted. :P

Before I get slammed for choosing Keto, non-complex carbs (mainly breads, rice, pasta, etc...) make me feel like crap about an hour afterwards, as well as drained/tired. So, I try to limit my carb intake. It's been working too.

It would appear that my initial assessment was incorrect.

Paleo doesn't include peanuts because they're more closely related to beans (which are evil, for reasons I consider to be inexplicable).

Which, in my humble opinion, just makes it that much more unbearable-sounding.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    NO PEANUT BUTTER?!?!?!

mmk.

Grammar edit.

It would appear that my initial assessment was incorrect.

Paleo doesn't include peanuts because they're more closely related to beans (which are evil, for reasons I consider to be inexplicable).

Which, in my humble opinion, just makes it that much more unbearable-sounding.

Peanuts aren't nuts. They are legumes. Which have mystical nasty tendencies according to Paleo...even though "cave people" ate them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://www.nsca.com/uploadedfiles/nsca/inactive_content/program_books/ptc_2013_program_book/aragon.pdf

FTA: Bolded for emphasis
    Dietary Habits of the World’s Healthiest Populations

Dietary Commonalities Among the Blue Zones
    • Largely plant‐based.
    • No over‐eating.
    • Foods are locally or home‐grown & home‐prepared.
    Carbohydrate (largely from starch ) is the predominant macronutrient.
    Beans,including fava,black,soy and lentils,are the cornerstone of most centenarian diets.
    • 3 of the 5 zones are regular coffee consumers.
    • 4of the 5 zones are regular alcohol consumers.
    All 5 zones are regular consumers of grains & legumes.
    None of the zones follow a Paleo‐type diet

So much for grains being bad, eh
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am gonna post this here.....just because I can.

http://www.sixpackabs.com/paleo-is-the-scientology-of-diets/

And for crap’s sake, stop putting butter in your coffee.
    :laugh: I never got why butter in coffee was paleo approved, but milk isn't.
    Or why legumes are evil. Seriously, beans, lentils, peanuts=bad. ... but why?

I do think that striving to eat more whole foods certainly isn't a bad thing. However, arbitrarily restricting whole foods (like legumes, dairy, whole grains) is just silly.

Whatever. Thanks for posting cleavage filled plank poses.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is anyone having great results with paleo or other low carb diets??

You'll find some paleo groups in the groups section. If it helps keep you at a deficit then you should have good results.

Personally, I think the recommendation to give up legumes is the worst kind of ignorance. Without a specific medical need, it's ridiculous to advise people to give such a low calorie nutrient dense food group.

Best of luck to you, whatever path you choose.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am gonna post this here.....just because I can.

http://www.sixpackabs.com/paleo-is-the-scientology-of-diets/

And for crap’s sake, stop putting butter in your coffee.
    :laugh: I never got why butter in coffee was paleo approved, but milk isn't.
    Or why legumes are evil. Seriously, beans, lentils, peanuts=bad. ... but why?

I do think that striving to eat more whole foods certainly isn't a bad thing. However, arbitrarily restricting whole foods (like legumes, dairy, whole grains) is just silly.

Whatever. Thanks for posting cleavage filled plank poses.

See. I don't get why guys do this. I mean, cleavage filled plank poses are good right?

So, wouldn't a more encouraging comment be "Hey, great plank!"?

Instead, indicating that you are blowing a woman off with a reference to her attractive body is more likely to discourage future posting of these pictures. It comes off as demeaning.

It's like you are asking her to cover up. Why would anybody want that to happen?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the others that Paleo is not a cure-all for weight loss.

At first the pounds will fall off, but it will even out.

That's why I do calorie restriction and Paleo.

But Paleo did take care of my first 50 or so pounds, but I promise, you can over eat on Paleo approved foods.

It caused me to stall my weight loss, not gain, though.

I say go for it.

I feel great and I don't ever have to worry about the health risks that go with eating junk like Hamburger Helper or frozen pizzas.

I was following you right up until the last sentence. What health risks from eating Hamburger Helper or frozen pizza? Before anyone jumps in to twist things, I am not saying Hamburger Helper or frozen pizza are the picture of health, but I fail to see how the occasional frozen pizza or boxed dinner is going to put your health at risk. If you ate them everyday for every meal, sure, you would be missing nutrients and your sodium levels would probably be sky high, but if you ate any food every day for every meal you'd end up nutrient-deficient.

Namely, I'm thinking of the GMO's and Round-up which have not had any long-term studies done on them. Most packaged foods that are not labeled any different do contain GMO wheat in American grocery stores. If you're educated about the subject and feel that it's safe, than those items as part of a balanced diet present no threat. I'm not a scientist or farmer, so I am going to err on the side of caution until some clear studies have been conducted that convince me of the safety of those processed items.

I still consume it on special occasions, but it's relieving to know it isn't part of my regular diet at this time.