What is a fitbit exactly?

Options
I still haven't purchased a calorie burn counting device as I don't know what to go for for my needs. I came across a fitbit device, what does it do exactly? Why would one need to wear it to bed to monitor sleep? I just need something to measure calories burnt during cardio exercises at home so nothing fancy and expensive.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is a brand of devices, they have several different versions.

The questions you would want to ask are:

1. Do you want it to sync with MFP? If so, there are several options besides Fitbit. If not, there's tons of options.

2. Do you want it to work with your smartphone? If so, what kind do you have? Fitbit and several others only sync with newer phones which use Bluetooth Smart or Bluetooth Low Energy technology. Bodymedia is the only one I've found that works with MFP and with regular Bluetooth so it syncs with older smartphones.

3. How accurate do you want it to be? Many of the ones you wear on your wrist will not count steps when you push a shopping cart or carry something heavy. The ones you clip on to your clothes are more accurate, and Bodymedia seems to be the most accurate.

4. How much do you want to spend? Some of the clip-on Fitbits are only around $50. From there, they go up to around $150, depending on what you want. Bodymedia, despite being the most accurate, scares many people off because it has a $7 monthly subscription fee.

ETA: Also, 5. Do you want something around your wrist all day, every day? The Fitbit clip-ons can be put on a bra strap or belt loop, so they can be hidden. But they can also be more easily lost. The Bodymedia goes around the upper arm, so it can be hidden with a sleeve. The rest go around the wrist. Although many companies offer a changeable wrist band in a few different colors, the basic style is going to be the same. It will be like wearing the same bangle bracelet forever.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you want to monitor calories burned during cardio only, you may want to look into a heart rate monitor instead.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Just bought a fitbit flex myself and so far I enjoy having it

Pros:

Syncs to phone and MFP
    Monitors your sleep
    Counts steps
    Tracks long periods of higher activity
    Gives an idea of the calories you burn all day
    Fitbits are step counters that monitor your activity day and night

Cons:

This is NOT an Heart rate monitor like a polar FT4, this product cannot give you an accurate calories burned through exercise, say you did 20 minutes of HIIT, fitbit flex along with mfp may give you an idea of calories burned but not an exact match the way an HRM would

Over all its a great product for those just trying to get started on their health journey
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just bought a FitBit zip and I love it. Syncs walking, running, with MFP. Awesome
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I still haven't purchased a calorie burn counting device as I don't know what to go for for my needs. I came across a fitbit device, what does it do exactly? Why would one need to wear it to bed to monitor sleep? I just need something to measure calories burnt during cardio exercises at home so nothing fancy and expensive.

A FitBit is an activity tracker. It's a glorified pedometer that helps you figure out if your are sedentary - or lightly active - or whatever. It syncs with MFP. Many people maintaining their weight swear by it.....others not so much. Many FitBit wearers are motivated to move more throughout the day.

To calculate steady state cardio you want to look at a heart rate monitor......one with a chest strap. What this does is compares your resting heart rate against your heart rate while working out....that is the multiplier for exertion level. HRMs don't really work for other types of activities where your heart rate may be up and down.
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It seems that it is a heart rate monitor I need then from replies I am not wanting to count my steps daily just calories burned during a cardio workout.
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I imagine those chest am straps would be annoyingly uncomfortable too during a workout when you are all sweaty. I think I prefer a watch
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I imagine those chest am straps would be annoyingly uncomfortable too during a workout when you are all sweaty. I think I prefer a watch

Most watch HRMs get their info from a strap. If it doesn't, it will be terribly inaccurate. The strap is actually not uncomfortable for women, as we are used to wearing a bra and the strap goes in exactly the same place. If it's uncomfortable, it's too tight. Once you have it on under a sports bra, you forget it's even there.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

When I was using a HRM with a chest strap, I never even noticed it while I was working out, no matter how hot and sweaty I got.