Large frame success stories??

Options
Yeah, I HATE when people say "Post with success stories using this...or using that" Irritates the tar outta me. BUT here I am ;) My issue is I visited my aunt, who has a PhD in exercise science. So she knows what she's talking about. She noticed my goal was at like 130ish pounds. I'm five foot even. She said Ash you wont be that weight, it wouldn't look right with your body type. So she said I'd be better around like 150. It's not the number that matters to me, it's that I look good. I want a flat stomach, and am TOTALLY ok with some curves everywhere else. Now, by large frame I mean, broad shoulders...I think. I have broad shoulders, and have always been large chested. Even when I lost 30 pounds and was looking good, I had huge boobs! Anyways, now I have no idea what to even expect to look like? Or what to have an idea to look like? Feel free to friend me if you have a "large frame" To be clear, I don't believe I have big bones, I don't believe that is real. I do believe, my shoulders are very broad, and boobs are ginormous! LOL. So anyways, back to the point, show me your large frame success stories, or current pics if you weigh less than me, so I can see what I am heading into. (yeah yeah, I know every "BODY" is different, humor me please?) :)

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You will just have to see when you get there. 150 is a good starting goal but seems high for only being 5ft tall. I am large for my size as well. 5'5" 138 lbs and still in large shirts. My shoulders and chest just don't fit in anything smaller.
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but at 294 I thought I had a large frame, but I was just morbidly obese. My shoulders are broad and square, as I lose weight they remain so but my wrists get tinier. Truth is, I have a small frame under this weight. I am 5'6" and my doctor says with my muscle mass - I do pilates 3x a week and walk a 5k 4x a week my goal weight can be 150. He just increased it from 145 because he has been following my weight loss journey and says at this rate I will be "shredded." And the boobs...well, they are mostly made of fat, so the double Ds, which are currently down to C/Ds are gonna go back to being full Bs. At 5 feet even I can't imagine 150 being a healthy body weight unless your curves are very muscular.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a case of a family member trying to talk you out of getting to a healthy weight. 130lbs is a very average weight, but today - 130lbs may sound very small to some individuals.

Stick with the 130lbs, re-evaluate at 140-150lbs.

Don't let others talk you out of it, especially before you are even at your goal.

ETA - I started at 250lbs at 5'7. I was convinced that I had a large frame (said by me and others) because of my big chest/big legs/long torso/"broad" shoulders. Well...since losing 66lbs, I can see things differently. My "broad" shoulders were actually just fat shoulders. My chest, fat. Big legs, also fat. Torso is still long...with a lot of fat. My goal is to get to 140lbs, though I will re-evaluate at 150lbs.
  • Togi11
    Togi11 Posts: 20
    Options
    It depends on your frame. I am large boned and muscular. I'll never be delicate looking. Even when I'm smaller I'll still look like a gargantuan next to most women. Oh well. I think your Doctor is the best resource to talk to about this.
  • mrstinsel
    mrstinsel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but surely Ash meant 5ft Eleven?! If so then surely 150 would be better than 130?
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame. Wide hips (more so after four kids!) and I'm 5'8". I was 140 pounds back in college and before I married, and that is my goal range--I'd be happy to get down to 145.

I started at 183 pounds back in November, and today weighed in at 153. I still have wide hips but now they look curvy, not lumpy. :) I stuck to a 1500 calorie diet (I work with a nutritionist through my insurance plan) and tried to hit 10K steps a day. I do aerobics a few times a week and just started jogging a mile three times a week--the jogging has helped me bust through a plateau.

To really figure out if you have a large or medium or small frame, go here: http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

I was surprised that it told me I was currently underweight for my large frame. However, I still have abdominal fat i need to lose, for health reasons, and I plan to add muscle.
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    To really figure out if you have a large or medium or small frame, go here: http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

Interesting - per this I have a medium frame, not small. And my doctor's target of 150 puts me in their 142 to 154 range. But really, we will see how I feel and what I can sanely and sustainably maintain.
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have broader shoulders and narrow hips so I'm not entirely sure where I fall category wise but my profile pic was taken yesterday and my weight is 168.8 down from my highest of 300 and start weight (Aug 28th 2013) of 261.
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options

This calculator doesn't take into account that your wrist size is determined to a great degree by your body fat percentage. My fingers didn't touch when I wrapped them around my wrist when I was fat, and now my fingers overlap (I've lost 65 lbs). It's because my wrists are less fat, not because I have magically gone from a large to small frame size.
  • ashleymmannisto
    ashleymmannisto Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think the best thing I'll take from that is....Wait and see. But a few things, Yes I did mean five even. Like five foot zero inches ;) And I also do not believe a family member was trying to discourage me. ANY other family member, I would say that could be the case. However this aunt would never do that. She is all about healthy and taking care of yourself. So no worries with her "discouraging" me. She is my number one for diet questions, exercise questions...anything health she's got my back :)
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip of http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html . Will go check it out.
    My two cents...at 5'7" 130 lbs in high school I bordered on unhealthy looking. At 130 lbs I wore an 7/8 that was lose in the waist but rubbed the front of my hip bones.
    Someone who's 5"0" will probably be fine at that weight. I know while I'm quite small chested I've always had wide shoulders and hip bones.
    At a size 12 currently. 5'7" 189 lbs. 29.8 BMI
    Good luck

Not sure about the above site. Said I was small boned. LOL. Not. Though it did say my ideal body weight should be between 138-151 which is about right.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It will be quite the journey in finding out. Best wishes in your WOE.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hey I am also 5 ft and also have pety broad shoulders huge boobs.. rather.. I used to have.. Right now I am 110 lbs and I never thought I would make it there.. target for 130.. you can make it.. :) I am sure of it.. add me as a friend if u need some motivation :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I have an hourglass shape, but I'd say I have a large frame and I gain muscle quite easily. I got down to 154lbs after my second baby (she's 3 now) which put my BMI just under 25 and I was wearing a UK 10/12 (US 6/8)

SAM_3249.jpg
    image sharing

Then I got pregnant with no. 3 and have unfortunately gained a bit, so I'm back to attempting to get to the above picture again!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While I don't 100% invest in BMI, it is a good guide (similar to that website given above) and 130 is at the high end of normal, if not slightly into the overweight range for your height - so I think it's a reasonable goal.

I agree that time will tell. I was 260 and thought I had a large frame and defniitely had huge boobs but once I lost the weight, I came to find out that I have more like a medium frame and somewhere around a large C/small D cup boobs. (not so happy about the latter, considering surgery to fix the girls)

I think your Aunt does mean well. Considering her career, she's probably seen overweight/obese people set unrealistic goals and expectations which many times leads to defeat (not losing fast enough, taking more time and effort than I thought, screw this I give up) and I'm sure she doesn't want to see you go through that.

Best of luck to you! :)

P.S. There are some before/current pics on my profile page if you'd like to see them.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Your correct that every BODY is different. The BMI charts say that my goal weight should be under 145. My doctor has stated that is very unrealistic for me because of my muscle mass. So I'm at 160 which makes me obese, not even close if you could see me. I'm 5' 5 and wear a size 8 pants and size medium shirts. I would look deathly sick if I got down to 145. You need to be concerned with you and your body. Friends and family can express concern but say thanks and move on!

Good luck.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in frame sizes. I am 5'11 and my goal weight is 149 lbs. I got down to 135 lbs in high school and I still had C-cup boobs. I carry my weight in my boobs and hips. I have proportionally broad shoulders and a long torso.

I find mybodygallery.com helpful for looking at how different weights look on my height.

As for the Ideal Body Weight Calculator several people have posted... how much your fingers wrap around your wrist means absolutely nothing. I have long spidery fingers. Some people have pointy wrists even when they're obese, some people have a lot of swelling in their wrists from arthritis, poor wrist position while typing, and any number of things. Some people have average wrists but extra bones in their feet. Wrist size means nothing.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm a LARGE frame. In capitals, since I've got an enormous, thick skeletal system (srs, chiropractor and doctor always comment on x-rays, lol). Broad shoulders, 7 inch wrists (even at my leanest 125 lbs, 5'6"). I look best (IMHO) above 135 lbs. Any less and I'm too slender for my tastes.

You've got a ways to go before stressing about where exactly your ideal goal will land. Honestly, it could be 150 lbs, or 130, or even something completely different. Set intermediate goals along the way, and reassess as you reach them.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I hope you find lots of applicable success stories and meet your goals.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/

Just putting this here for reference. You can enter your stats and goal weight and see pictures of people with those measurements. It will help give you an idea of what you can expect at goal weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!