Disabled person needs help

Options
Hi,

I'm in a wheelchair and cannot do ANY exercise, trust me, I mean none. I need to lose a probably 30 lbs but would settle for any. Somy question is what should my kcal target be considering my situation?

Replies

• lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    I think myfitnesspal does a great job of estimating needed calories. When you set up your profile it should have asked you for your lifestyle (sedentary) and your expected workout load. If you set both of those properly, myfitnesspal should provide a good calorie guideline. Welcome to mfp. I hope you love it as much as I do. :)
  • Badger1201
    Options
    No extremity movement at all? I am racking my brain for you! There's always something. Even if you pilot your chair with a stick perhaps there is a chance of using a grip strengther?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you. put in activity level as sedentary and pick the amount you want to lose per week. The outcome is the amount of calories you can consume and still lose weight.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - MFP should tell you how many calories you need. I also want to link you to an article written by a friend of mine - she faces a similar situation - she's wheel-chair bound and cannot exercise. She wrote an article about how she's losing weight.

http://quest.mda.org/article/weight-loss-wheelchair-my-plan
  • thorntona
    Options
    Wow thanks for the article. That is EXACTLY my condition situation so that is really motivational. Thank you so much.
  • Flawlessk
    Options
    I know someone who is in her 70's and is in a wheelchair but can use her arms.

She spoke to her GP about wanting to lose weight and they advised her nutritionally.

Then she picked up a couple of water bottles and began doing bicep curls.

It's been approx 9 months and she has lost a little over 7 stone now. She was a size 30 and is now an 18 (UK sizes). Her weight loss has slowed now she weighs less but she has done amazing.

Good luck to you xx