Brand new fitness pal

Options
Ok, not sure where to start. I'm losing weight for my wedding in about 17 months. We have firmed the date, but we're doing it at least a year away. I have almost 100 pounds to lose. I'd love thoughts on easy exercises to use. I walk about 1 mile a day with my dog, and I'm looking at getting a treadmill next weekend. Never really done a successful diet either, so I'd love input on great places for good recipes. Thanks.

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    this place is an awesome site for everything. there is a lot of encouragement and lots of things on here to help. good luck to you
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Since you are already walking a mile a day, increase that to two. Your dog will love you for that. Add weight training to your program too. You can search the internet to find all kids of programs out there. You don't need to join a gym, there are tons of dvd's out there you can follow.

Make sure you log all of your food so you know you are staying within the alloted calories. If you stick to it, next year you will be the best looking bride there is!
  • visionsofjohanna
    Options
    Up your walk by as much as you can manage each day - you'll be surprised what a difference it makes. Throw balls and sticks for your dog if you don't already.

Think about what you eat the most of and try to replace it with something healthy. If it's cheese, replace it with fish, if it's chocolate, replace it with nice fruits.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to start. This site has helped me so much! Good luck!
  • Totallydetermined
    Totallydetermined Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found this site by accident a few days ago. I love it. I have never felt more motivated.
    In 6 days I have lost 7 pounds just by sticking to the calories. I've not done much exercise coz I'm recovering from the flu so I'm delighted with the results. Like you I have 100 pounds to lose. Let's spur each other on through the good and bad times.
    Just picture yourself on your wedding day, you'll be beautiful no matter what but imagine feeling gorgeous too :)
  • TheLastKeeper
    TheLastKeeper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    All good advice up above...

Make sure you take the time and go through all the forum posts, make new friends and research anything you have questions about on your own. Don't always take what some one else says as totally acurate.

You're starting at a good time, work at it slow and steady and you'll be ready for your big day.

As you are shooting for a large weight loss, have you checked with your family doctor yet and see if they have any concerns or recommendations???

Have a blessed day.
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First off, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Trust me this site is awsome and you will meet friends that help you out along the way! Good Luck!
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Thanks guys! Just checked the length of my walk, it's exactly one mile. Starting tomorrow I'm upping it to two. My normal walking partner tends to have to work late, so I'll just start early until she can get there with her dog. My dog and I run around the yard every day after I get off work, as part of her exercise lol. She's a husky, and she's much better at it than me. About the food, I'm horrible but I hate most fruits. So far I've been eating at least one apple a day. The season's been hard on fruit too so it's hard to find down here in Arkansas. I don't like beans or fish. Are there any other suggestions for replacing junk food? I mean, ice cream is my achilles heel so it's nowhere in the house, upon my orders lol. Chocolate is easy to replace with an apple, at least for me. I'm also eating fruit jellos... and I was thinking about adding apple sauce or fruit cups. Let's see... I also stick to servings sizes or less when i eat something not the greatest for me. I'm so excited about this website :) Thanks for all the help already :)