Best Carbs to Eat??

Options
PaulaKac
PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
What are the best carbs to eat to keep me from getting hungry, especially in the mornings?

Replies

• fosterbt
    fosterbt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on almonds.. not sure about the carbo content, but they are pretty healthy, as long as you eat about an oz (approx 23 almonds or so), and not more. They're filling, have the "healthy" kind of fat, and pretty yummy...
  • PaulaKac
    Options
    Thank You! I'll try that :-)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't keep me from getting hungry. Protein and fat do. Why are you specifically looking for carbs?
  • PaulaKac
    Options
    I just thought carbs would help with my hunger in the mornings.
  • isabellybelly
    isabellybelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats Weight Control (mmm, maple syrup & brown sugar)
    Greek yogurt
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What are the best carbs to eat to keep me from getting hungry, especially in the mornings?

Whole grains.......whole fruit (less filling for me).

When grains are processed they can be stripped of some nutritional value. If you look at the nutrition label on white bread vs. whole wheat bread .....you have less protein & less fiber in the white bread. Protein & fiber help you stay full longer.

I don't eat just carbs or just protein for breakfast. I feel full longer if I combine the two.

Examples .....oatmeal made with milk for protein and I add chopped walnuts for fat (nut butter works too)....protein, fat & fiber.

Greek yogurt mixed with Fiber One cereal and nuts.....lots of protein, some fiber & fat too.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    All of them
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ALL THE CARBS
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN not carbs.

Eggs, bacon, veggie sausage patties, fruit, eggs again.
  • msncush
    msncush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's protein with a complex carb that will keep you full. You need the complex carb to deliver the protein to your system.
    Low fat cheese, turkey pepperoni, deli turkey or chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars, shakes.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would increase your protein, it really helps with fighting hunger. Protein also keeps you feeling full the longest. Egg whites, protein shakes, even Greek Yogurt are a good example for breakfast ideas.

If you need to incorporate more carbs for whatever reason, I start off my mornings every morning with a 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned Plain Oats (Quaker). Other examples of great carbs throughout the day are:

sweet potoates
    brown rice
    quinoa
    Eizkel Bread
  • PaulaKac
    Options
    I'm 58, 2 weeks ago I weighed 400#. My scale doesn't go high enough so not sure if it's working. Doctor told me to start diet at 2000 calories a day. Doesn't seem right to me. I guess I'm not choosing the right foods and combinations to keep me from feeling hungry.

Any help is appreciated.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Focus on getting a lot of protein and fat into your diet - these keep you fuller longer. The carbs in your diet should ideally come from mostly whole grains and natural sugars (sugar from fruits, veggies, and dairy).
  • Tracie524
    Tracie524 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat cottage cheese and some melon (mix of watermelon, canteloupe, and honey dew) in the mornings. It keeps me filled up. It is a mix of protein and good carbs.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions... do you excersise? How is your diet looking?

There is a method to your doctor's madness. It all depends on weight/height/age/activity level etc how many calories you should in take. You need those 2,000+ so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Those 2,000 calories should be "GOOD" calories, consisting all of healthy choices. It may seem like a lot, but your body needs it to keep your metabolism going at a steady pace. You need to eat, or your body will slow and store fat and feed off of muscle.

Hope this helps!
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat Steel Cut Oats in the morning - keeps you feeling full for a long time. Also have a 1 minute muffin recipe using ground flax seed that I add a scoop of protein powder to.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Try foods which include a good bit of fiber, and some protein. Oatmeal is an excellent breakfast. Also, whole grain toast with eggs or whole grain waffle with bacon or ham or some other salty meat (it's great with the syrup).
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato, apple.

Banana.
  • Ruckus85
    Ruckus85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat Steel Cut Oats in the morning - keeps you feeling full for a long time. Also have a 1 minute muffin recipe using ground flax seed that I add a scoop of protein powder to.

Will you please share your recipe?
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A good mix of protein and fiber keeps me full!

In the morning I like:
    Proats (a mix of protein powder, uncooked rolled oats, and milk)
    Scrambled eggs (usually a mix of egg whites and whole eggs) and fruit or Ezekiel bread
    Ezekiel english muffin with cream cheese and canned tuna

Also, you're body is going to take some time to get used to the 2,000 calories a day. I'm going to make an assumption that you're eating too much and/or unhealthfully and that you've been eating the way you have for quite some time. (I'm sorry if either of these are incorrect, I'm just trying to be helpful and going off the limited information from your posts.) If both of those are true, your hormones were doing somersaults every time you ate, your stomach has the capacity to shrink, and you may have built alot of habits around food that your mind interprets as hunger. It will take time for things to normalize/shrink/become an un-habit BUT IT WILL HAPPEN. Have faith in the process and know that *some* discomfort can be normal. If you find that 2,000 a day is flat-out unmanageable, you may want to seek a second opinion or work with a registered dietitian.