The real story on the flab after...

Options
NS81
NS81 Posts: 192 Member
So, how realistic is it to lose over 100 lbs, and not have a huge amount of loose skin to contend with after?

If you're doing a bunch of strength training throughout the process, will it be very little, or is that completely unrealistic?

Anyone have experience with this? If so, what was your process and result?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It depends on how fast you lose that 100 pounds. If you do it slowly, your skin will have more time to shrink along with your dimensions. Lose weight quickly and you'll end up with a bunch of loose skin for awhile. Your choice. I don't think strength training will have much effect beyond giving you a little extra muscle bulk to take up some of the slack.
  • NS81
    Options
    It depends on how fast you lose that 100 pounds. If you do it slowly, your skin will have more time to shrink along with your dimensions. Lose weight quickly and you'll end up with a bunch of loose skin for awhile. Your choice. I don't think strength training will have much effect beyond giving you a little extra muscle bulk to take up some of the slack.

If you're losing it fairly quickly, is there anything you can do to try and minimize the excess?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 100 pounds, at 87 right now and at 45 years of age I do have some skin, I have noticed that it is slowly getting better and I will have been doing this for 2 years in July so I can say that I have taken my time to do this. I have always been a heavy moisturizer so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Some suggestions include drinking lots of water and keeping the skin moisturized.

My doctor has suggested I wait at least a year, once I reach my goal weight or reach a weight I am happy with and then we can revisit the issue, it is also the same for my chest - the thought is that where your body stores its fat it will return to that area once you stop losing (not as bad as it was) so some areas may not be as bad as others in regards to skin and sagging.
  • NS81
    Options
    I am trying to lose 100 pounds, at 87 right now and at 45 years of age I do have some skin, I have noticed that it is slowly getting better and I will have been doing this for 2 years in July so I can say that I have taken my time to do this. I have always been a heavy moisturizer so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Some suggestions include drinking lots of water and keeping the skin moisturized.

My doctor has suggested I wait at least a year, once I reach my goal weight or reach a weight I am happy with and then we can revisit the issue, it is also the same for my chest - the thought is that where your body stores its fat it will return to that area once you stop losing (not as bad as it was) so some areas may not be as bad as others in regards to skin and sagging.

Thank you, and congrats on your hard work! I really appreciate the input!