On the go Breakfast recipes

Options
HELP!!!! I need some easy make ahead breakfast recipes. I have to be at work at 5:30 in the morning and just don't want to get up any earlier than I already do to fix something yummy to eat. Do you have any suggestions????

Replies

• laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Yuck...I feel for you. Morning hours are miserable! There are some fantastic ideas on Pinterest for easy on-the-go oatmeal or muffins. I'm not a huge fan of oatmeal and prefer something a bit more nutrient dense in the morning, so I prep smoothies or greek yogurt parfaits. The easiest way for me to do this is make mixes to just take out of the freezer, pop in the blender, add water (or juice, soy milk, etc.) and go! I will usually blend up spinnach, avacado, and greek yogurt and freeze that into ice trays and let them freeze--not only is this a time saver but it also doesn't waste spinnach or avacado that otherwise goes bad pretty quickly. In zip lock bags, I add 4-5 of those cubes but this will depend on how much spinnach you want in the smoothie--it can't be tasted if mixed with other yummy things, then a handful of fruit (frozen or fresh). In the mornings, I just take a bag out, blend with liquid and some protein powder. The smoothie is super filling with the protein powder, avacado, and greek yogurt. Honey can be added if you want it a bit sweeter, or a spoon of OJ concentrate is really good too!

Hope this helps some! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    overnight oatmeal. there's a thread on it in here in the "recipes" section.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make an egg white sandwich with egg whites, deli meat, your favorite cheese and bread (usually an english muffin or a wheat round.)

I microwave about 2 oz egg whites in a bowl with a diameter that will fit over my bread. Before adding the whites give the bowl a quick shot of cooking spray so the egg doesn't stick. The cook time will depend on the amount of egg used and the power of your microwave. Sometimes I toast my bread while cooking the egg. Sometimes it's a Monday and I am too lazy.

Next, combine all incredients into a sandwich and eat. It takes about 3-5 mins combined prep and cook time. The ingredients I use equals about 250 calories and is high in protein and fiber (fiber depends on the bread choice.) Eat some fruit to balance the meal.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My fastest breakfast is using a panini maker and grilling an open ( or closed ) cheese sandwich... takes about 1 minutes to toast and melt it:) Sometimes I add vegetables to it.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    COOKIES!!!!

But cookies made out of mashed bananas, unsweetened apple sauce and oats. I also add crushed walnuts and dried cranberries. Delicious!

Easy to eat on the go, and you can make big batches at once so you can have them ready for the whole week.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I eat almost the same breakfast every day - 1 cup greek yogurt, 1tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder. Mix it and pack it at night, eat when I get to work. I'll usually add a few strawberries when they look good.

Sometimes I'll change it up and do 1 cup greek yogurt, 2tbsp sugar free blueberry preserves, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 10-12 grams sliced almonds or chopped walnuts. But honestly I love the chocolate peanut butter so much I could eat it more than once a day!

At times I've also done a banana with cereal (pack the cereal in one container and the milk in another), hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese and walnuts, or a pb&j sandwich on whole wheat bread. Just depends on what you like. I love my yogurt :)
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    Homemade protein bars out of oats, peanut butter and protein powder or high protein muffin (ie: http://dashingdish.com/recipe/banana-bread-protein-muffins/)
  • DKMChristin
    DKMChristin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On Sunday nights I make up 12 of these and can pop them in the microwave before heading out the door throughout the week!

Scrambled Egg Muffins:

12 eggs (or egg whites)
    1/2 lb bulk pork sausage
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (I use green)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup shredded cheese

Cook sausage, or bacon or whatever you are using for protein. I add the onions and green peppers right to the sausage but you can also just throw it right in with the egg mixture and they cook pretty well. Beat the eggs, and the seasonings and stir in sausage mixture and the cheese. Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin tin coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

1 serving is about 130 calories. (one muffin)

My fiance and I make these a lot because we can play with the ingredients and use up stuff we have. We'll use spinach, and tomatoes sometimes, use up some bacon, even some chicken breast left over. You can literally add whatever you like and they re-heat well!
  • tessieteoh
    Options
    Mashed banana jaffle is healthy and tastes amazing. A great power brekkie that's quick, easy and convenient.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    We have the Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich maker. You throw in an english muffin, an egg, and any other toppings you want. (Meat has to be cooked ahead of time, so I buy pre-cooked bacon and sausage and nuke it in the microwave for 60 seconds.) The egg is cooked INSIDE OF YOUR SANDWICH, and in five minutes you have a warm, tasty breakfast sandwich that's way healthier than anything you'd be able to pick up on your way to work.

I've heard of people using 2 egg whites instead of 1 whole egg if you want to cut down on fat.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    http://iowagirleats.com/2012/03/27/diy-frozen-breakfast-burritos/

Can make any variation that you want. Two minutes in the microwave. They do require a little bit of prep work, but I've never had it take more than 30 minutes for a week's worth.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    My fiance makes us homemade egg mcmuffins. Egg beaters, one slice american cheese and Canadian bacon on a low fat english muffin.Sometimes sliced jalepenos. He makes them in advance, I'm talking like for 3 weeks at a time and freezes them. A couple mins in the microwave and you have breakfast. It takes investing several hours once or twice a month, but its worth it for the convenience factor
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. If you want to go super fast and easy, a bagel thin with cream cheese will do the trick.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I was doing boiled eggs until I found this recipe. Scramble 5 whole eggs/5 egg whites, cut up raw spinach, few drops of water, put in muffin tins, bake for 20 minutes. You can pretty much add whatever you like to the eggs. My version is less than 100 calories for 5 "muffins". I keep these in the fridge at work with greek yogurt.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My fastest breakfast is using a panini maker and grilling an open ( or closed ) cheese sandwich... takes about 1 minutes to toast and melt it:) Sometimes I add vegetables to it.
    Good one. Hubs likes to make burritos from leftovers on sunday and freeze them.
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • AdventureManatee
    AdventureManatee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also have to be at work early, and never really wanted to lose sleep in order to get up earlier to do breakfast before work.
    I typically have one (sometimes two) of the following for breakfast after I get to my desk:
    -Greek yogurt
    -Granola bar
    -Banana
    -Instant oatmeal (or sometimes I make my own "instant oatmeal" baggies ahead of time)
    -1/2 bagel (or mini bagel, or bagel thin) with cream cheese
    -English muffin with peanut butter
    -"Mug Scramble": prepare a baggie with egg(s) and mix-ins, mix/squeeze and pour in mug, then microwave
    -Smoothie (can have ingredients frozen in baggie ahead of time and blend in the morning...but I'm usually running too late to even do that)

Other ideas I've been meaning to try:
    -Small tortilla wrap, spread with peanut butter, add sliced bananas or other fruit, and roll up
    -Egg muffins, pre-made and reheated
    -Breakfast burrito, pre-made filling reheated in the morning, then wrap to go
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I just eat cereal usually. But I believe you can beat a couple of eggs up in a coffee cup and microwave for some fast eggs.