Gym Embarrassment...

Options
Not only are my cheeks red from being a slave to the cross trainer, treadmill, bikes etc, but being new to this exercise lark is tough when you're ridiculously embarrassed!

Seeing all these very fit and gorgeous looking gym people is the biggest knock in motivation when I am gasping for air, which I can hear over my own music! I've realised though, that when exercising at home (I have done the jillian michaels 30 day shred) I have no one to prove myself to, and can easily give up - however when I'm at a gym with other people, I wont allow myself to give up (simply because of what others might think!)

I can't tell if this is a good way to be/think, or not??

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    if it motivates you then why not think that way, im competitive by nature so i can relate for sure

on a side note though, there's no need to be embarrassed at the gym, people are concentrating on their own workouts, and honestly just going there shows them that you're trying to improve yourself which is a huge accomplishment in itself
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As long as your doing it its good. I get super red face too. No worries
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No one is paying attention to you at the gym. Go in with a plan and do your workout like you mean business. Fake it til you make it, you will feel more confident the more you go.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    This one time at the gym, I locked my locker with someone else's lock. Being embarrassed at the gym is going to the front desk in nothing but your towel.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get really red in the face when working out, too. It's not really a measure of my exertion level, either, it's just something that happens. I also get more motivated when people are watching. I'm certainly less likely to take a walk break while running and other people can see me, even when it's a part of the way I run. :laugh:

I second the idea that no one is really paying any attention to you. At the very worst they see you working away and think "Good for her!" Which it is.

Rather than be demotivated by the fit people around you, remind yourself that it won't be long before you're one of the fit ones, yourself. At that point, if you see the red-in-the-face overweight woman killing herself on the elliptical, what would you think?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    99.9% of the people are either too busy to notice or thinking - wow, good for that person, they're trying to improve their health/fitness! The rest are shallow a-holes who just go to the gym to impress other people and/or hook up and why would you care what they think anyway?

As far as being motivated by all the hot people - I think it's great! Hell, I'm motivated to workout so I can earn calorie and eat more. Whatever works!

I get super red faced too, I've even been called on it a few times by people who were either concerned that I was working out too hard or worried I had a bad sunburn. LOL!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    if it motivates you then why not think that way, im competitive by nature so i can relate for sure

on a side note though, there's no need to be embarrassed at the gym, people are concentrating on their own workouts, and honestly just going there shows them that you're trying to improve yourself which is a huge accomplishment in itself

AGREED! I was terrified when I started going to the gym. I had a small phobia of it. But I started slow, using the equipment I knew how to use. All the while observing (not staring) others using the machines that I did not know how to use or was too afraid to try. I started going early morning when there were only a few people there and they were much much older people so that if I got brave enough I could try those other machines and not feel foolish... now I have no fears about going to the gym at any time or trying the different machines. I have found ones I really love.. and also ones I really hate. You wont know unless you try, and the only person you need to worry about while you are there is yourself.. Most of the people at my gym are very friendly and are more concerned with what they are doing than what you are doing.

The next thing on my gym bucket list is to actually try to go to one of their classes. Our gym does not really offer too many and they are normally at times that are not convenient for me. But IF my schedule ever allows me to be at the gym during a class I would love to try it. I am definitely terrified of looking ridiculous or being the new person who doesn't know what they are doing, but I have to prove to myself that I CAN DO IT!!!! FOR ME!!! No one else... ME!!!!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    No one is paying attention to you at the gym. Go in with a plan and do your workout like you mean business. Fake it til you make it, you will feel more confident the more you go.
    Exactly.

Everyone is looking at the hot people...
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    99.9% of the people are either too busy to notice or thinking - wow, good for that person, they're trying to improve their health/fitness! The rest are shallow a-holes who just go to the gym to impress other people and/or hook up and why would you care what they think anyway?

As far as being motivated by all the hot people - I think it's great! Hell, I'm motivated to workout so I can earn calorie and eat more. Whatever works!

I get super red faced too, I've even been called on it a few times by people who were either concerned that I was working out too hard or worried I had a bad sunburn. LOL!

I agree with all of this.

I get a super red face too, sometimes it goes into the purple spectrum lol. I always have, and I hated it in gym class in school, because my face would stay red for hours afterwards. This led to me putting in minimum effort in the class. Now I dont' let it bother me. It's red because i worked my *kitten* off, and if people have a problem with it I don't care. I'm there for MY health. Also, since I workout more regularly, it doesn't stay red for nearly as long.

Don't be embarrassed. Those "gorgeous" fit gym people weren't always super fit. They've worked at it for quite some time, but they started as beginners too. Use them to inspire you and motivate you to push yourself harder. :smile: I'm by no means super fit but if I see anyone at the gym putting in hard work, I have loads of respect for them.