How many mg of sodium a day to combat water retension?

Options
retention*

Is 1500 mg or less a good amount?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Sodium causes water retention. You should drink more water to flush out the sodium. It will pass in a day or two.
  • Mrs_Barbie
    Options
    Thanks. I know having a lot of sodium will cause water retention, but I was just wondering how many mg you should have to limit your water retention. Anyway, I will drink more water to flush out my system. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    too many factors to give a good answer. age, weight, bf%, genetics all play a big role. just try to keep it as low as possible and eat lots of potassium which is known to offset the bloating effect of sodium. and of course lots of water as you said
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Although it is certainly true that sodium causes water retention it really isn't something you want to avoid. Sodium is an essential nutrient, you need it...the water that comes along with it does nothing to harm your health unless you have extremely high blood pressure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know having a lot of sodium will cause water retention, but I was just wondering how many mg you should have to limit your water retention. Anyway, I will drink more water to flush out my system. Thanks for the tip. :)

There's no way to answer your question given that everyone is different. The more active you are, the more sodium you will need....it is an essential electrolyte.

As a very general answer I would say that remaining within the RDA and getting plenty of water you should be fine.

If I don't get enough sodium, I cramp up during workouts...it is very possible to not get enough sodium as much as it is to have too much.

also, water retention in general is normal....and you would die otherwise.