Maintenance time!! (before/after pic included)

Options
Hi guys--

I just wanted to share my "success" story but it comes with a caveat.

Before you look at my pictures I need to clarify that I did not start this journey thinking I NEEDED to lose weight. As you will plainly see in my before picture, I was by no means an overweight woman. More like a slender but still curvy woman, lacking in tone.
I have been blessed with good genetics and a pretty zippy metabolism that allows me to eat basically whatever I want without severe consequence which is both a blessing and a curse as many of you can attest to. I was eating VERY unhealthfully (mostly pizza, mac n cheese and gigantic plates of nachos) and worked out MAYBE once a year. I was ok with my weight, although (like most women) I often lamented my jiggly butt and the cellulite on the backs of my thighs. At a certain point though, I started getting sick more often and was experiencing issues with my lungs (chronic asthma followed by pneumonia, which landed me a 4-day stay in the hospital) and my skin was an absolute disaster. I decided it was time to change some of my habits.

The first thing I did was cut gluten almost entirely out of my diet. It started as a science experiment, as I had a work colleague who had done it and boasted of her newfound energy and I could plainly see her skin was glowing. After a few months, I experienced the same benefits she had and decided to stick with it. I still eat gluten products here and there when I get the urge (life's too short not to indulge sometimes, amirite?!), but overall I find that having a rule about keeping it to a minimum helps me stay away from foods that my body doesn't really need.

I also started exercising. I went through a year of trying different strategies of exercise. I began by going running a few days a week and hated it. I then tried to take advantage of my grad school gym and would spend 45 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 days a week but I hated that too. For awhile I sort of gave up on exercise (partly because grad school wasn't leaving me much free time). Then summer finally FINALLY arrived and I bought myself a rusty road bike off of craigslist and I started riding it EVERYWHERE. To school, to the grocery store, to Williamsburg on the weekend for brunch with friends, down to Carroll Gardens for band practice, etc. Everywhere. And I also downloaded one of those silly 7-minute workout apps on my phone and a few days a week I do 2-3 cycles of the exercises in my apartment and within two weeks of starting this new lifestyle I noticed a huge difference. My waist got slimmer and my obliques made an appearance. My quads and glutes firmed up. But most of all, I felt energized, excited, and incredibly independent. There's nothing like the feeling of biking somewhere in 10 minutes that would have taken 30 via subway.

Anyway, my main goal has always just been to eat healthier foods, to feel strong and to have more confidence. I did lose some poundage as a result of my lifestyle changes and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty proud of my new slimmer physique. But mostly I'm ecstatic about the tone and strength that I have achieved!
And....my lungs are much stronger now :)

Thanks for reading!

PS: I have never posted a before / after kind of thing before so please be gentle with me!

04c5c285-9161-425b-bb5d-70c2f3f1da91.jpg

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Nice work! Thanks for sharing :)
  • shellya30
    shellya30 Posts: 21
    Options
    You looked great before and you look AMAZING now! Great work! I one day hope to have a tummy like yours is now. Even if it doesn't happen, as long as I am healthy and happy with myself I will be good. Thanks for sharing your story and your pics. You should be proud or your accomplishment and reaching your goal.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Superb before, and splendid now! Good job!
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just here to support you, OP! You look amazing, but you already knew my opinion! :)
  • birdcurves
    birdcurves Posts: 16
    Options
    Just here to support you, OP! You look amazing, but you already knew my opinion! :)

Thank you so much. <3<3<3
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You look great in both pictures, but your "after" really is amazing. Well done!
  • 45thin
    45thin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You do look great in both pics, but I can definitly see the difference! Hope to have some abs someday too!!
  • karenmcwilly53
    karenmcwilly53 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I would take your body in either your before or after picture. You looked good in before but you look absolutely fantastic in your after. Congrats! :drinker:
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing...it's good to hear that those changes really helped...gives me hope! :flowerforyou:
  • kguerriere
    kguerriere Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome and inspiring!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! :drinker:
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Ok, I'm really envious. I'm like a fatter version of your before pic. Would really love to have the body in your after pic. Very nice!! Congrats to you and Rock that awesome bod! You seriously look Amazing! :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing!! Glad your lungs are feeling better too!
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Um...I think you may have come out of your diet inverted ;). Great job though. (if you are wondering what I mean your tattoos are flipped because one was a photo and the other a mirror shot)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Great job - you look fabulous!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Amazing difference!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hawtness. Props on the hard work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!