Is obsessing good? Need some kick-*kitten* friends!

Options
DivaKom
DivaKom Posts: 19 Member
So been at this again for a good 3 weeks and slowly this whole losing weight/getting fit thing is turning into an obsession:

• I have spreadsheets, calculating daily loss from cals in vrs. cals out. Progression, estimation when I will hit my GW…
• I try to hit my macros (but fail miserably each day)
• I weigh my food, every tiny morsel
• I try to obsess over the eating habits of my sister, how is also on a weight loss journey
• I track my fitbit data on an additional spreadsheet
• Etc…

NOT GOOD :noway: Anyone else getting so caught up with this.

Need some friends who help me keep focused, but also remind me, that this is not a data gathering competition:explode:
Also, anyone on fitbit, whom I could befriend?

Replies

• rausharvey
    rausharvey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I try not to think about the numbers too much because then it turns into this weird competition. just go with it and trust the process :)
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Although, I hate to think of it as an obsession! Think of it as something you are passionate about. It is so amazing how much you knowledge you obtain throughout your own journey. If someone else is telling you that you are "obsessing, don't listen to them. You do what you have to do to reach your own goals how ever you feel comfortable.
  • amandaschaller28
    Options
    Im on that level, too! I'm OBSESSED with workouts and healthy eating!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with Stephanie.....not obsession, determination!!! I do think you are pushing the limits, if your are monitoring your sister's food. Food Nazis are not helpful, quite the opposite. If you want to encourage your sister, do it in a positive way. Have healthy recipe lunch where you both make a new recipe and share. Go for a walk or swim together. Better yet, get a group together and go to the beach....then you are encouraging several others to get some vitamin D and much needed cardio. :wink:
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Balance is key. I am big on Data collection, but I limit that to accurate food logging plus daily logging of my weight. I dont use any other tools.

I have kept it simple and enjoyable as I am primarily on a raw food diet which allows me to eat until I am satisfied.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's only an obsession if it takes joy from your life.

It sounds more like determination.

And I agree with whoever said certainly don't listen to other people who tell you that you are obsessing - what you eat, or don't eat or how much you exercise does not affect their happiness. So politely tell them to pipe the f**ck down.

Unless you do actually obsess and it becomes a problem. Then get help :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Please remember that all the calorie counts & burns are only estimates. So obsessing about them will only drive you bonkers.

For some "bigger picture" advice, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm there. I use FitBit, track and weigh everything in MFP, and also have a spreadsheet because I hate how MFP gives you reports that only have graphs and not number averages by week, month, etc. Plus, the spreadsheet helps me realize that even though I have a really high or low calorie day here and there, it seems to be averaging out the right way. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    YEP YEP and YEP. I think my friends get annoyed with me because all I want to do is talk about food and how healthy and happy I am.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think it helps me stay motivated! Not only am I keeping track of every calorie in and out but I am also constantly researching about weightloss, healthy food, exercises etc. By doing that right before bed it reminds me as to why I started.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do this. I have a spreadsheet with three different tabs to track different things (weekly weightloss/%lost, daily weightloss, and running). I like to know that what I'm doing on a day to day basis is working. Last week was rough because the scale refused to move even though I was doing everything right. Then it moved over the weekend and is continually going in the right direction. As long as my graphs keep going down I'm happy.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think obsessing can be good or bad. I think it's bad if it affects the good things in your life, but good if it affects the bad things :) I'm naturally a really obsessive person but overall I really think it's done me good!

I made excellent grades, I worked really hard through college and worked a ton of overtime/freelance work right when I graduated, and now I'm 23 and have a job I love.

It's also helped somewhat with health :) Although I do have friends whose obsession has turned into an eating disorder :(

It's important to evaluate yourself occasionally.

Any fellow obsessive people should totally add me :)
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit of an obsesser also, in that I think about food pretty much 24/7 (yes I dream about it) - what have I eaten already, what should I eat next, if I eat this will I also be able to eat this, should I workout for an hour just so I can eat that. Oh and I spend a ****load of timethese days on MFP forums.... so yeah, obsessed. Here's hoping obsession pays off!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Balls to the wall is ALWAYS what trips me up...I'm all enthusiasm at the get go, and then I eventually fizzle because who can sustain such craziness!?

This time around I am more relaxed, more balanced, just trusting that if I stay in my targets, move every day, and CHILL, it will happen. So far so good.

So my advice, if you want it- don't aim for perfection, aim for slow and steady progress. Be human.
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I like to consider myself goal oriented person when it comes to fitness. I find tracking data on a spreadsheet is the best way to understand what works best for my body and vice versa. Healthy eating is just part of my lifestyle.

"EXERCISE to be fit not skinny
    EAT to nourish your body
    and always IGNORE the Haters, Doubters & Unhealthy Examples that were once feeding you
    YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN YOU REALISE"
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Well, I had lost my fit bit for a few hours yesterday and was freaking out about my score being affected lol. so yeah I can probably relate. Slightly OCD here :flowerforyou:
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah i'm pretty much driving my husband nuts ;) I totally understand, it's hard for me to do anything well at all without taking it a little overboard.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Balls to the wall is ALWAYS what trips me up...I'm all enthusiasm at the get go, and then I eventually fizzle because who can sustain such craziness!?

This time around I am more relaxed, more balanced, just trusting that if I stay in my targets, move every day, and CHILL, it will happen. So far so good.

So my advice, if you want it- don't aim for perfection, aim for slow and steady progress. Be human.

This exactly! That way if you want to relax and have some extra carbs in the form of a cookie... or two... then you are not a nervous wreck. It's a lifestyle change, not a bootcamp. Good luck to you!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I feel obsessed also, counting calories, watching what I eat, eating at home more, but I had rather be obsessed with this than obsessed with overeating and getting fat. In other words the consequences are good.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I prelog all of my meals M-F two weeks in advance. I also weigh all of my food, including protein powder, coffee creamer, and PB2. I haven't skipped a workout in three months. I do a mini HIIT routine in my office during the first 10 minutes of my lunch break in addition to lifting three days per week and two days of cardio. Is that enough to be considered obsessive? Meh, I like it.