Why is raw fish so NOT filling?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
We had 'sushi' for lunch. Ok, I think the calories in sushi are way too high for what they are filling you up (:sad:), so I went with a 6oz salmon sashimi steak (350 calories) and some riceless makis (they're wrapped in some kind of paper instead, like raw spring rolls, filled with raw salmon, tuna and avocado, and 150 calories for a small roll). I had a cup of veggie soup soup with it too... Total 575 calories, 29g of fat and 52g of protein.

And it's not even 3 hours later and I'm starving.

Is it just me? Seriously, why in the world is raw fish so high calories and not filling?

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If I had that much protein and no carbs, I would be starving before I left! Maybe it's just me but I need me some carbs with every meal to feel full. Maybe next time try a few pieces of nigiri?
  • Francl27
    Options
    There were 18g of carbs still.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I watched the video verson of the gif below and since then, I'm off sushi. That was like 4 months ago. That's it, end of sushi. Ick!

hqdefault.jpg
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Same. I love love sushi but it doesn't fill me up at all. I'll usually get a large roll of some sort (easy on the rice), a bowl of soups, and edamame. The edamame at least takes a while to eat and keeps me full longer than just sushi.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I watched the video verson of the gif below and since then, I'm off sushi. That was like 4 months ago. That's it, end of sushi. Ick!

hqdefault.jpg

the gif doesn't move! ah! ahhhh! i must know what put you of sushi! this is going to kill me
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Really? I couldn't even finish my second roll at dinner recently! And we only had miso soup before the two rolls came out. I tend to steer towards spicy tuna and eel and avocado. Those fill me up for hours. Pair it with some edamame, and you're golden.
  • newyorkmo
    newyorkmo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    no fiber in sushi - if you could add some steamed broccoli or something that would help a lot. plus the soy sauce has lots of sodium so you might be thirsty and mistaking that for hunger? Try a big bottle of water and see if that helps.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Because it's still twitching?
  • Francl27
    Options
    no fiber in sushi - if you could add some steamed broccoli or something that would help a lot. plus the soy sauce has lots of sodium so you might be thirsty and mistaking that for hunger? Try a big bottle of water and see if that helps.

I had some soup though! It had 3g of fiber... which I guess isn't a huge amount. Bleh.

Definitely not thirsty, been drinking all day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why in the world is raw fish so high calories and not filling?

The more pressing question is why you have an expectation of feeling "filled".

That's a problem in and of itself....
  • Francl27
    Options
    Seriously, why in the world is raw fish so high calories and not filling?

The more pressing question is why you have an expectation of feeling "filled".

That's a problem in and of itself....

No, my expectation is not to be starving 2.5 hours after lunch when I eat 575 calories of stuff.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You need a little fiber with all that protein! Edemame or a house salad are a great place to start. Also, remember that salmon and a few other fish varieties have a lot of (healthy!) fats. This will up your calorie content significantly but you shouldn't be alarmed. These healthy fats are actually part of the fat-metabolism process in the body making it easier to use stored fat as fuel.