Protein shakes

Okay so I lost 44 lbs and at my goal weight. the doctor I work with has challenge the nurses to a 1/2 marathon in October. I am trying to build lean muscle while training. I have read so many different articles I have no clue what to believe. I want a protein shake to drink after a hard core gym/exercise day. Whey? Soy? Ugh to many choices. Of course if you go to gnc they want to sell you the most expensive stuff. I don't want to use the wrong product but I don't want to go into the poor house either. I used premier protein which are premade. But I just bought a complete protein called EAS. Then read that soy was bad. Someone who knows about these shakes please fill me in.

I want a lot of protein with out th excess calories and tastes half decent and that won't break the bank,

Replies

• awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Unless you drink the protein with water the cals you get from protein shakes are very comparable to Tuna. Eating a lot of powder doesnt agree with everyone.
  • Try whey protein isolate. Most of them (like Syntrax Nectar) are 0 fat 0 carb and they taste good. There is also Dymatize ISO 100, but it has a few carbs.
  • sunshinemouse34
    sunshinemouse34 Posts: 17 Member
    I've tried the EAS and Eat Good Look Great (available at Walmart). Good protein with fewer calories and carbs.
    I like them both as protein supplements as I don't eat a lot of meat.

I also don't drink them every day or even more than once a day.

Guess I will have to read up on the soy verses whey debate.
  • abcreed
    abcreed Posts: 15 Member
    My husband and I buy the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein (whey protein isolates) from GNC -- we've also bought it online. When we need more, we just compare sales price @ GNC (GNC has their 5lb containers BOGO 50% off fairly often) vs online price before we buy.

We mix ours with skim milk, but like any other powder, mix it with whatever you prefer. We've tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter, Double RIch Chocolate, Cake Batter & Cookies & Cream flavors, and all of them have been very tasty!
  • chotovec
    chotovec Posts: 1 Member
    I buy MuscleMilk in 10lb bags, and try to get at least two in per day. They add 160 calories each but pack on around 25 grams of protein per serving. They work well for me. I've tried other sources of protein but they add to many calories for what i'm trying to accomplish.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Drink with water? As in mix it with water? I mix mine with water to avoid excess calories. Or are you talking about drink more water with it?
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Don't plan on drinking it everyday. It just there's only so much eggs, tuna and lean meat I can eat in a day before I get so burnt out, I never seem to meet my daily protein. I. Assume I would need more than my daily if I want to have more lean muscle. Is this correct?
  • qwerty1895
    qwerty1895 Posts: 45
    I like whey protein isolate, lower carbs and lower fat. I don't drink it though, after making protein pancakes just the thought of mixing it with water and drinking feels putrid and just a waste of a wonderful product.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    I like whey protein isolate, lower carbs and lower fat. I don't drink it though, after making protein pancakes just the thought of mixing it with water and drinking feels putrid and just a waste of a wonderful product.

So you can add it to foods? Not just drink it?
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    lolz cottage cheeze is lik a protein shake in content.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member

You can use protein powder in baking (breads, cakes, etc.) or make protein pancakes. Super easy.

ETA: You can also make an awesome smoothie: protein powder + Greek yogurt + frozen fruit + few ounces of water + blender = delicious.
  • qwerty1895
    qwerty1895 Posts: 45

Of course, I used it instead of flour for pancakes and it was great. Low carb, high protein pancakes - awesome! I will try and make some muffins too.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Okay so I lost 44 lbs and at my goal weight. the doctor I work with has challenge the nurses to a 1/2 marathon in October. I am trying to build lean muscle while training. I have read so many different articles I have no clue what to believe. I want a protein shake to drink after a hard core gym/exercise day. Whey? Soy? Ugh to many choices. Of course if you go to gnc they want to sell you the most expensive stuff. I don't want to use the wrong product but I don't want to go into the poor house either. I used premier protein which are premade. But I just bought a complete protein called EAS. Then read that soy was bad. Someone who knows about these shakes please fill me in.

I want a lot of protein with out th excess calories and tastes half decent and that won't break the bank,

There is no need to drink one right after a workout unless that is when you enjoy having one. You also need to eat at a surplus to build muscle (no such thing as "Lean muscle") although if you are new to lifting you might make some small newbie gains for a short time.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402517494&sr=8-1&keywords=whey+protein

^this is what I use and I highly highly recommend it healthiest that goes down easy peasy.

I also recommend strength training, especially legs. don't be using protein shakes if all your doing is measly cardio. Cardio + strength training = now we are talking.
  • Alicia92860
    Alicia92860 Posts: 19 Member
    Whey shakes . Stay away from Soy.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Whey shakes . Stay away from Soy.

Agree!

I use Optimum Nutrition whey powder, Extreme Milk Chocolate is super yummy mixed with unsweetened almond milk. I have one everyday after I work out.
  • ElaineC85
    ElaineC85 Posts: 1
    I second the use of whey protein isolate. I use Biochem Whey Protein isolate powder (Vanilla) and it tastes great, doesn't cause bloating or gas like some other powders do, and it's low in fat, gluten-free and vegan for those of you who are vegans (I'm not but still use it). I've heard whey is most beneficial post-workout, but I use it as a meal replacement in the form of a smoothie about 2-3x/week...key is you have to add extra food in if you want it to be a meal replacement. My smoothies usually include 5-6 ice cubes, ~1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit, 1/2 c orange juice, 2 scoops protein powder, and 1-2 teaspoons chia seeds. You can obviously make tons of different kinds of smoothies based on what your goals are, but you can get your vitamins/minerals, fruit servings and protein in one go this way.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402517494&sr=8-1&keywords=whey+protein

^this is what I use and I highly highly recommend it healthiest that goes down easy peasy.

I also recommend strength training, especially legs. don't be using protein shakes if all your doing is measly cardio. Cardio + strength training = now we are talking.

I have cardio but I am weight training along with tabata training for legs and core.
  • Livingdeadnurse

There is no need to drink one right after a workout unless that is when you enjoy having one. You also need to eat at a surplus to build muscle (no such thing as "Lean muscle") although if you are new to lifting you might make some small newbie gains for a short time.

I want to build muscle without a ton of bulk. I want to look like a woman not the Incredible Hulk
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member

I want to build muscle without a ton of bulk. I want to look like a woman not the Incredible Hulk

There is 0% chance of that happening.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html