What to do with 25 green peppers?!

Options
tomatosoup3
tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
I'm part of a fruit/vegetable scheme which involves paying a nominal amount and getting fresh fruit and veggies delivered to me once a week. The catch? I can't actually choose what they give me- I just plan my meals around what I get! (It makes for some interesting menus...) So this week I got some pretty regular stuff.... potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, grapes, etc. and.... 25 green peppers?! I only just got them to fit in the vegetable drawer in my fridge.
What in the world can one do with 25 green peppers before they go bad?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Make enough stuffed bell peppers for a small army?
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Make enough stuffed bell peppers for a small army?

this
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Slice up a bunch of them, put into plastic bags, and freeze them for later use in chili, stirfries,etc.

Or start handing them out to your friends.
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Chop them up and freeze them so they're ready for stir-fry and fajitas!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can freeze peppers. I got a free bushel with a produce order and could only use so much fresh!
    I usually make stuffed peppers or even stuffed pepper soup! Chicken fajitas with peppers!
    Fresh peppers with hummus!
    See if you can exchange with someone else!
  • Mandi5512
    Mandi5512 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I personally really like them raw with ranch ( =
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I would stuff 10 of them with ground beef/rice cover in tomato sauce and freeze them. I would chop/dice 10 of them up and freeze.

I would eat the other 5 this week.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    25 is a lot. 25 is too many.

After making a few meals of stuffed peppers, you can save a few.

1. Freezing. Chop one or two up, put on a cookie sheet in single layer, put in freezer for home IQF. When they're frozen, bag 'em up and chop the next couple up. You can save a few of them for later use in recipes that way.

2. Roasting. Cut them in half, remove seeds, put skin side down in a 400 degree oven. Check on them every 10 minutes but you want the skin to become black. Remove from oven and put in a paper or plastic bag until they cool down. You should then be able to remove the skin. These are great on sandwiches or you can puree them to put in sauces (great in tomato sauce). You can freeze them after they're roasted, too.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Share some with your neighbors.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'd peel a few of them (stick them in boiling water for a minute and the skin comes off very easily) and stick them in the blender with a couple tomatoes, maybe a peeled cucumber, a couple cloves of garlic or some onion, and a bit of olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar and salt and make a cold vegetable soup (gazpacho style.)

Or, quarter them, top with nacho toppings (vegetables, meat, shredded cheese, whatever you like) and broil them - like nachos, but with peppers instead of tortilla chips. Sometimes I crumble up a few tortillas and sprinkle them with a bit of cheese, too.

I also love green peppers halved and grilled on the barbecue until they get a little char on them and just eat them like that. So good!

I also load up my red sauces with green pepper chunks when I make pasta.

I chop them very small and use them as a base for salad instead of lettuce sometimes too. Then my salad is mostly green pepper with some of whatever other vegetables I have, chopped fine, as well. Delicious with a bit of cilantro and salsa (or Bolthouse Farms Salsa Ranch if you have it where you are. It's 20 calories per tbsp.)
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I second (third? Fourth?) the freezing. CUt them up, spread them out on wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze them, the divide them up into baggies. You can store them for a a good while that way.

Otherwise - Greatist posted a smoothie today that uses them: http://greatist.com/eat/green-booster-smoothie-recipe?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=textlink&utm_campaign=latest-articles
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I get tons from the garden in the summer. Great ideas above....Also you can cut them open, take the seeds out and slice them and place them on a piece of wax paper in the freezer til they start to freeze. Once they are frozen, package them in large ziplok bags. Then whenever you want some, they are already frozen individually & you can grab a handful or more to put straight into a recipe. I used them all year long in peppers and onions or pepper steak fajita dishes or my favorite; onions and green peppers in a little olive oil and then add a turkey sausage, egg white and scramble & sprinkle of feta cheese! Greek omelet - Delish :love:
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Roast them! Roasted peppers with garlic and olive oil are amazing.
  • carblover79
    Options
    I agree with freezing them, but if you don't have room in the freezer, you can also dehydrate and store them for use later in soups, stews etc.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me last year. I had a dozen chili peppers of some type. I believe I boiled them slightly, then removed seeds, then froze them.

The co-op where I get the fruits and veggies has a facebook page. They post ideas for what to do with the things in the basket that week. See if your place has a resource like that. You can also google "What do I do with (these things)"

Have fun!!!!

Afterthought: I think some of the recipe websites allow you to search by ingredient. Give that a shot and see what comes up. :)
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hm...Talk to somebody about your hoarding issues?!

Maybe slice some of them up, pre-cook them (maybe even with some onions) and then freeze. Great to reheat and add to other meals later on. Plus stuffed peppers are AMAZING. Have some as snacks with dressing. Give some away to friends and family, too!
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    soup in bulk and freeze?
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Decorate. Like this ingenious Realtor.

h7qziOY.jpg

The rest are here: https://imgur.com/gallery/RT161
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Burgers. Eddie Murphy uses some NSFW language but this is all I can think of when people want to cook with green peppers. :laugh:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08c0BXTVpfs
  • RestartingAgain1
    Options
    Instead of using chips and crackers for dips, Spray cut green peppers with pam (or olive oil) and sprinkle Garlic Powder on top. Bake them in the oven for 10 minutes on 400!