Can someone explain what's going on?

Options
Hey guys, I have a problem and am very confused. 7 weeks ago, I weighed 255lbs at 25%bf and with a 20% caloric reduction, my daily goal was 2472.
I haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks so I decided to re-evaluate my caloric intake. I have been eating 2390 for the past 3 weeks.
Today I am 248lbs at 21%bf (not sure if that's a good amount in 7 weeks of dieting and working out) but the calculator says my caloric needs are 2522!
How can that be? I haven't lost weight eating 2390, how the heck am I going to lose it eating 2522?
Thanks guys. I have been doing great except for this stall and now I am feeling blue again.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    255 pounds and 25% bodyfat?

Dude, how tall are you? You must be muscular as hell. I'm 6' tall and at 27% bodyfat I weighed about 188.
  • warrio1010
    warrio1010 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The calculators are not terribly reliable. You said you lost weight on a certain number of calories, why not stick to that? Or go lower if you stalled? Also I dunno how you calculate your bf but the chances are it's inaccurate and it's almost entirely irrelevant.
  • Ronnie715
    Ronnie715 Posts: 29
    Options
    Its being calculated with body fat calipers. Highly accurate. If you use the calculator option where you input your bf%, its supposed to be one of the most accurate. But when I do that, the calories are going up and I don't know why. Can anyone explain whats going on?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Its being calculated with body fat calipers. Highly accurate. If you use the calculator option where you input your bf%, its supposed to be one of the most accurate. But when I do that, the calories are going up and I don't know why. Can anyone explain whats going on?

Bodyfat calipers are only as accurate as the person wielding them and they typically are only accurate at low percent bodyfat. At higher percent bodyfat they aren't very accurate at all.

I was wondering how tall you are because if you are like 7' tall' then maybe but 255 pounds and 25% bodyfat would mean that your lean mass was like 200 pounds which is HUGE.

Arnold Schwarzenegger when he was competing was 6'2'' and 250 pounds.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Try calculating your stats on this site:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Ronnie715
    Options

Bodyfat calipers are only as accurate as the person wielding them and they typically are only accurate at low percent bodyfat. At higher percent bodyfat they aren't very accurate at all.

I was wondering how tall you are because if you are like 7' tall' then maybe but 255 pounds and 25% bodyfat would mean that your lean mass was like 200 pounds which is HUGE.

My apologies, I never said my height. I'm 6'2. There is no way you were 188lbs at 6 foot 27%bf. I have a thick frame but by no means musclular.
  • Ronnie715
    Options
    That site gives me the same numbers. I get two different numbers when I use BF% and when I don't
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

My apologies, I never said my height. I'm 6'2. There is no way you were 188lbs at 6 foot 27%bf. I have a thick frame but by no means musclular.

Yeah, I was 27% bodyfat at 188 pounds. That picture of me in my profile. That is me at 154 pounds and about 15% bodyfat. I am 6' tall and have muscle but not a lot. I am small framed.

I just doubt 25% bodyfat at 255 pounds man, I think your %bodyfat was likely a lot higher than that. 25% bodyfat doesn't look very fat by the way. Not sure what you looked like back then but take a look at these.

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

When I was 188 and 27% bodyfat I have a picture under my profile of my stomach during that. I'd say right now I'm probably at 1 or 22%.

If, for example, you had a bit of man-boobage at 255 pounds then you were definitely way above 25% bodyfat.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    That site gives me the same numbers. I get two different numbers when I use BF% and when I don't

How are you measuring your bodyfat?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    You are saying that right now you are at 21% bodyfat. Just for visual comparison this is me at about 22% bodyfat:

f38jlv.jpg

As you can see I do look like I am between the example pics of 20% and 25%.

At 21% you should be looking fairly lean, no longer overweight. Not athletic yet but no big stomach bulge.
  • Ronnie715
    Options
    I was measuring with bf calipers and also posted pics of myself on a couple bodybuilding forums. Everyone said around 25%bf but based of the pics you posted, THe 30% one fit me about right. I stil look no where near your 22%. I have a lot of loose jiggly fat around my stomach with love handles. I even took measurements and put them into online calculators and they spit out about 25% at the time.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I guess I'm distracting from your actual question.

Sounds like you lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks which isn't bad at all. Honestly the true indicator of what you should eat is how much you lose when you eat a certain amount. If you lose 1 pound a week eating 2300 calories then I'd stick to 2300 calories or even drop it a little more to 2100. I agree with you it doesn't really make sense to eat more if you aren't satisfied with your current weight loss rate.

I'm guessing you have more fat to lose than you were originally estimating so I think its probably safe for you to be aiming to lose 1.5 pounds a week.
  • Ronnie715
    Options
    MInd if I send you a pm with a pic of before I started and where I am now? You can give me an opinion of bf%
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    MInd if I send you a pm with a pic of before I started and where I am now? You can give me an opinion of bf%

Go ahead, though I don't claim to be any sort of expert on that at all. My estimate might be way off, I don't mean to give the impression that I am somehow the fat-whisperer.