Fit vs Not So Fit

Options
I am wondering what determines how many calories a person burns?

Do "fit" folks burn more or less?
Does body fat have anything to do with it?
Is it intensity and length of workout?
Does ones metabolism have a part in this?

Just curious to know.... how it all works. If 2 people do the same excercise and they burn different amounts. How is that figured?

Replies

• bluebeta
    Options
    good questions, I was wondering the same thing. I wish i had answers to your posts, but instead I will have to see how everyone else responds. thanks for asking.
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    in general I think fit people burn more calories on an ave basis...muscle burns more calories.... but when you start exercising, the heavier people burn more than the lighter....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    All of the above? :laugh:

Your height/weight affect it, as does your individual metabolism (metabolism is affected by age and various other factors) and body composition (muscles burn more calories than fat on a daily basis), as does the effort and length of the workout.

There are SO many variables...probably more than what you listed, but I'm not an expert... so I don't know what else might be a factor.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I am wondering what determines how many calories a person burns?

Do "fit" folks burn more or less?
    YES
    Does body fat have anything to do with it?
    YES
    Is it intensity and length of workout?
    SOMEWHAT
    Does ones metabolism have a part in this?
    YES

Just curious to know.... how it all works. If 2 people do the same excercise and they burn different amounts. How is that figured? ---UNSURE

Those being the basic answers.....

Like previously mentioned, fit people have a lower BFP so their metabolism is usually higher.

The Intensity and length does matter as well as when you do it. I run first thing in the morning after drinking only a hot tea for a caffeine boost. If I run more than 30 minutes EVERY day I drop 2-3 pounds per week eating ALL my exercise cals. If I run more than 30 minutes 4 times a week I maintain. If I run any other time of the day, it doesn't matter how much I run or if it's every day, I won't lose anything.

The "fasted cardio" raises metabolism for up to as long as 19 hours. Building muscle has a similar effect in that you burn more calories at rest....yes, even when you're sleeping.