So I jumped off a perfectly good cliff...

Options
bbb84
bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
Went on vacation to Jamaica, visited the famous Ricks Cafe of Negril ... jumped off the 40ft cliff and gravity took over (big booty problems:tongue: ) and my feet came out just enough in front of me that I have now injured my tailbone. Awesome right?? Not so much, knowing there is nothing I can do for this injury and I'm halfway through T25 what should I do? Push through the pain and do what I can? Suggestions??

Replies

• bdruggles
    bdruggles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh... ouch.... I would sit on ice, take motrin/advil (or whatever you can find to reduce swelling) and go easy on it. At least for a few days. There are lots of muscles that attach through the pelvis, and many nerves that travel up and connect through there as well. If you try to push through while its really swollen, I think the risks out weigh the benefits. I'd be looking for a hammock, personally. Or a nice pool float.

Do what you can to keep the weight off of it while you sit (sit on pillows so you can arrange a little gap). If the pain is sharp, alters how you walk, makes you catch your breath as you get up or sit down... don't push. Hopefully it'll go down to a dull ache fast and then you can get back to work.

Good luck!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My mother was right. I suddenly feel an inexplicable desire to jump off the same cliff now.
  • bbb84
    Options
    Thank you ... Internet said 7-10 days and I'm still struggling ... Might be a fracture instead of a bruise . Smh only me
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I fell on icy stairs 1.5 years ago and injured/broke my tail bone. It happened in November, and it was 7-8 weeks before I even considered doing Bodypump again. All I could really do was walk, and in the beginning it was painful.

Your situation may be very different, but I wouldn't push it. Wait until you are ready. I do understand, because it hurts like heck.
  • bbb84
    Options
    I fell on icy stairs 1.5 years ago and injured/broke my tail bone. It happened in November, and it was 7-8 weeks before I even considered doing Bodypump again. All I could really do was walk, and in the beginning it was painful.

Your situation may be very different, but I wouldn't push it. Wait until you are ready. I do understand, because it hurts like heck.

I'm so sorry to hear that ... I thought maybe i'd be lucky and had just bruised it but it's looking more and more like it's something more. Live and learn the hard way i guess... lol
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with a messed up tail bone!
    Consult with a doctor first, because you could worsen any existing injury.

On another note, be glad you're not in my family. One of my family members injured theirs, and had to use a donut. Another member of my family (because she was refusing to use it in a restaurant), began to wear it like a hat.
    Guard your donut (if you have one) with your life. Don't let it become comical hatwear.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that ... I thought maybe i'd be lucky and had just bruised it but it's looking more and more like it's something more. Live and learn the hard way i guess... lol

:) I hope it ends up better than you thought. Best of luck. But even if it is worse than you thought, it does get better :).
  • bbb84
    Options
    Don't mess with a messed up tail bone!
    Consult with a doctor first, because you could worsen any existing injury.

On another note, be glad you're not in my family. One of my family members injured theirs, and had to use a donut. Another member of my family (because she was refusing to use it in a restaurant), began to wear it like a hat.
    Guard your donut (if you have one) with your life. Don't let it become comical hatwear.

Oh trust me ... I'm avoiding the donut in public just for that reason. My family is full of comedians and they are not letting me live this down. They're favorite right now is making a reference to the movie "white chicks" which says "once you go _____ you wind up in a wheelchair." They're telling everyone it had nothing to do with the cliff.... smh
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bruised tailbones are the worst. I hurt mine in 5th grade - laying on my stomach, pushed myself up and CRACK. Probably should have but never went to the doctor. It was misery for weeks. Ouch ouch ouch. It's been over 20 years and still when I sit on it funny for too long it starts to ache. Agree with earlier posters: ice and take it easy. Do not push it too fast. It is not worth it. T25 will still be there when you feel better! In the meantime can you use weights for your upper body and walk? Thinking anything more strenuous than a walk may do more harm than good. Best of luck!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I broke my tailbone 4 years ago and Im a WIMP. It hurt but the doctor told me there's basically nothing they can do for it...well...they COULD, but they don't, because there's no point. I pushed through the pain unless I felt sick to my stomach from it. I don't even want to say this, it might not be true for everyone, but it still hurt BAD on accasion a full year later when I would accidentally get that area bumped hard. And four years later, it kills everyday about an hour into my commute.... So, my advice is take anti-inflammatories and get back at it...it takes a long time to heal, and the pain sticks for a while, you just kind of get used to it ;-(
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've jumped off that cliff, it's no joke! Hope it heals up soon!
  • bbb84
    Options
    Hmmm.... I broke my tailbone 4 years ago and Im a WIMP. It hurt but the doctor told me there's basically nothing they can do for it...well...they COULD, but they don't, because there's no point. I pushed through the pain unless I felt sick to my stomach from it. I don't even want to say this, it might not be true for everyone, but it still hurt BAD on accasion a full year later when I would accidentally get that area bumped hard. And four years later, it kills everyday about an hour into my commute.... So, my advice is take anti-inflammatories and get back at it...it takes a long time to heal, and the pain sticks for a while, you just kind of get used to it ;-(

I'm working on it... I'm pretty hard headed when it comes to things. my thoughts are i'm going to hurt either way , so is it really a good enough excuse to not do it. I'm working on the first week of Beta now, and supplementing moves best I can for anything that's causing too much pain.

Thanks everyone for the input.
  • bbb84
    Options
    I've jumped off that cliff, it's no joke! Hope it heals up soon!

Thank you , you're right It's no joke but it was pretty awesome. At least I can say i did it... lol